The dumbing down of America, generation Tweet.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Mar 20, 2018.

1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The dumbing down of America started so long ago that it's pervasive now. The term seems to find it's origin in Hollywood script writing from the 1930's.

However, just because it didn't start on Twitter, doesn't mean we should give Twitter a pass. I mean Twitter is a powerful tool, yet there are things that just don't boil down to 128 characters or less.

Sometimes, less is more, but normally, if something is important, more is more.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

You're so yesterday.. Twitter is 280 characters now. So people can be infinitely more ridiculous ;)

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I think the dumbing down process was completed with the election of Cheeto Von Tweeto. That was rock bottom. Maybe we can start reversing the process now.

4. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Stop fallowing ridiculous people.:p

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

People always say that America is getting “dumber”, yet the older generations always need help from the younger generations with technology. :D

But to your point, I’m not sure if Twitter is showing that people are getting dumber. I think social media just gives people a way to broadcasts silly things that they would have kept to themselves or just talked to with IRL friends a couple of decades ago.

It’s probably not necessarily the case that there are more dumb ideas/thoughts out there in the wild. We just have more access to all of them.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Technology ain't the only thing the older generations need help with. I asked my kids what grandpa has difficulty turning on in his house. One of them said, "Grandma.":p:D

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm sure some wag complained about the shortened verbiage of the telegraph, and that the telephone was destroying the art of letter writing.

I remain unconvinced that people get smarter or dumber. Mostly, I think people are the same, and are reacting to the pressure of their given environment.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That’s good stuff!

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I blame the teachers.

10. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Best thing I have read on the forum today, thanks and keep it coming.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'll take "dumb" millennial's and genZ over "smart" boomers any day and twice on Sunday

12. samcraig macrumors P6

The problem is larger in scope and is more about social networks being a facade in that they are actually anti-social networks because some/many young people have a harder time relating or having face-to-face conversations vs virtual.

We're likely heading to a scenario outlined in Isaac Asimov's The Naked Sun.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Very well put.

This is the true danger of “social” media. Not that it makes us dumber, but that it (ironically) makes us more isolated.

14. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Another great piece of boomer propaganda. Everything currently wrong in the Western World is their fault, yet their self-centred greedy little brains deflect blame to anyone and everyone rather than accept responsibility for all the many many mistakes their generation has made.

15. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Smart Boomers? That's an oxymoron, right?