The earth is flat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Meister, Mar 22, 2017.

?

What shape is the earth?

1. Flat

2. Round

3. It's a cube.

4. I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Meister Suspended

Meister

2017 just got even better. :D

Shaquile O'Neal:
    “I drive from coast to coast, and this **** is flat to me. I’m just saying. I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it’s flat to me. I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle, and all that stuff about gravity, have you looked outside Atlanta lately and seen all these buildings? You mean to tell me that China is under us? China is under us? It’s not. The world is flat.”

:D

“I’m just saying that when I drive from Florida to New York – flat. New York to Seattle – flat. Seattle to LA – flat.”

Sadly, Shaq is not alone in this belief. His comments were in reply to similar musings from current Cleveland Cavaliers’ player Kyrie Irving, who said last month: “This is not even a conspiracy theory. The Earth is flat. The Earth is flat.”

The flat Earth claim was also backed by Golden State Warriors player Draymond Green, who said: “I’m not saying I think it’s flat or round. I don’t know but it could be.”

There’s also Denver Nuggets player Wilson Chandler, who tweeted: “I agree with him [Kyrie].”

Flat earth.
    Hell yeah!:D:p

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rt.com/document/58d00e61c4618814708b4609/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usat...neal-shaq-earth-flat-kyrie-irving-podcast/amp

2. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Sadly people will take the words of an athlete as gospel over a scientist. Of course it makes far more sense to think millions of photos and videos, including ones still on our planet albeit at high altitude have been doctored by the Illuminati, and the Catholic Church is behind it all! Jesus H Christ.

3. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Actually the photos from outter space that show the whole globe really are all photoshopped.

Discussing the shape of the earth is actually more intriguing than it seems at first.

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

You're referring to the coloring of galaxies based on the gasses they contain. I'm referring to the actual PS'ing of photos to make earth round and not flat as these numbnuts believe it to be. Anyone who does astrophotography does the same.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

From a 1966 Photoshop:
    [​IMG]

6. niploteksi macrumors regular

7. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

So how does Shaquille think his phone's GPS works?

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

9. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Pleasingly rubenesque?

10. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Just sick of the fat shaming of the earth. No wonder it's getting hotter.

11. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I'm not saying the earth is flat, but I've never been completely convinced that it's a ball.

Before you ridicule me, studdy the tests, read the scientific claims on both sides (not just mainstream), and study the physics for a few years. It's jaw dropping just how much the science can be used for about 60% of either side, and that there are still nothing more than theory driven science that is taught as fact. There are also the questionable issues with NASA, in many areas. There's just so much.

I have a friend who's an engineer and almost has his doctorates. He is completely convinced the earth is flat.

Regardless of what you think, it's an incredibly interesting topic.

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

[​IMG]

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Triangulation is still possible on a flat surface.

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Facts are boring, it is the theories that makes science interesting, as for the oblate spheroid shape of the earth, that is a fact and has nothing to do with any theory. Why the earth has the shape that it does is a theory.

People who believe in a flat earth are even more nuts than those that believe in god, I can respect people with religion but flat earthers are just to nuts for me.

15. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I climbed about 200 steps today. How could I do that on a flat earth? Just saying

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

First of all - images of earth from space settle this pretty conclusively. Second - what if you substituted "climate change" instead? We live in the only place (in light-years) that we can, but we're hell-bent on ****ing it up for money.

17. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

People who believe in God are not nuts. That's like saying people who believe in love, are nuts.

So please, inform me on how the concluded spherical shape of the earth, is a fact. I can understand being shocked, when being presented with an altenative possibility to something that you've been taught to believe, your whole life.

To me, facts are not boring. I love facts as much as theory. What I don't like are changing facts and stagnate theories. Your argument is indicative that you've never studied, nor discussed this topic passed a quick google search, or very short conversation.

I understand that it is probably just a waste of time to you, but to declare someone, who HAS studied something and acknowledges that the information could make it tough to pick a side, is nuts, is NUTS.

So prove to me the earth is a ball...

You can't. I wish you could, but you can't. The reason, is that, as Kelch indicates above, the ball earth science is EASILY workable on the flat earth. There is also mainstream science that makes more sense on a flat earth.

Like gravity. Gravity is still a theory, because it is an absurd explanation to the mechanics of what is behind a body's ability to become, or remain grounded, or consistently occupies a space that keeps it locked in to another body. It's why it's not a universal principle and is contradicted in other areas of physics. It's also why "spirit science" seems to be able to explain things that mainstream science can not. For instance, the division between space, our atmosphere, the oceans lakes and rivers, and underwater lakes and rivers. All "gravity" is, is the relative density of a body inside of one of the water environments between the firmaments. So a balloon will float in our environment, but takes strength to pull underwater, just like a submarine can "float" in water, but cannot penetrate the underwater lakes. In essence, mankind sinks in our environment, but floats in the lower waters. It is simply the density of water molecules and additional variables that make up that particular environment.

Also, electromagnetism and electro static is a sound mainstream possibility for why the moon orbits our sky.

LOOK IN TO IT. Or don't... But your lack of knowledge or open mindedness is not enough to make a declaration that someone who admits they can't be convinced, is nuts.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The poll should include the option "sphere".

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

My next door neighbor thinks the moon is a spy drone. The "Bernie" sign is still on her lawn. Just saying....

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Meh. The Earth is Texas.

[​IMG]

I am going to use Shaq's scientific method to prove it: I drive, and I drive, and I drive... and I am still in TX

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is how societies die, when we slip into "magical thinking" instead of dealing with real issues.

In the last couple of years this flat earth nonsense has been popping up in my own personal life more frequently...and surprise surprise its always the Alex Jones watching nut jobs who also know that Sandy Hook was a farce. :rolleyes:

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I drove through Texas once. It took forever.

For
    Ev
    Er

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

From 35K feet up on a clear day you can see the curve of the surface.

Not flat.

24. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Isn't the curve visible from a plane? Or at sea? These people ever leave their house?

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes, easily observable, that's how the debate got started. A curved horizon was the clue. :)