The Economic Lessons of Star Trek’s Money-Free Society

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Money is the root of all evil, that's why you need to give it to the church and the GOVT :p

anyways.
    https://www.wired.com/2016/05/geeks-guide-star-trek-economics/
    will we ever get there?

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

3. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

The accumulation of wealth is not progress o_O

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Accumulation of wealth is not, the desire of it yes, exactly as the desire of consumption goods.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Wasn't that Marx's objective?

6. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I think you're confusing progress with greed.

You'd make a good Ferengi :D

7. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

I'll buy that for one gold pressed latinum!

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I actually used the wrong wording, I admit it. I wanted to say that the desire of wealth and consumption goods are drivers of progress, not progress itself.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The thing to remember about Star Trek is that they have Replicators. Devices capable of reproducing virtually anything you desire, from food to medicine. How can you have an economy anymore with these things being ubiquitous?

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Beat me to it!

Especially with the fact that on the opposite of that universe, we have the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. And interestingly enough, the religious aspect of the never-ending search for the almighty profit all but ended when Rom was made the Grand Nagus of the Ferengi Empire.

If we applied that in today's world, the closest we'd have is capitalism, with the rest of the universe being close to true, utopian communism (read: bettering the good of all, as opposed to only looking out for oneself).

For us to get there, we need to stop giving a platform to those who do nothing but accumulate wealth for themselves and brag about the lifestyle they have.

BL.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

STOP pissing on my fantasy :mad:

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

But they also have Gold Press Latinum.

Roddenberry was smart when he created this, especially for the social commentary. He's showing both sides of the spectrum.

BL.

13. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Yes, but greed got the better of him :p

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like me some dabo girls
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---
    because the replicators needed to be filled themselves, and had drawback
    can't really replicate yourself into prosperity

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Err, actually Roddenberry created the Ferengi as caricatures of 80s crony capitalism. Here's their first appearance:

As you can see, they're presented as primitive and brutish next to the "civilized" Federation. It was later writers who added depth to the species, mostly after Roddenberry had passed on.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

she was hot, next to her was Deanna Troi .

17. unobtainium macrumors 68000

We can get to that point if we ever make cold fusion work. A virtually unlimited source of cheap energy would make a big difference.

Not enough people realize that energy sources and their availability have basically driven human history.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

our GOVT is not interested in forms of energy it can't tax the hell out of. :(

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm kinda fond of the green chica. Either from the Shatner Trek or the new one.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Do you listen to the Freakonomics podcast? They had an episode about the idea of "basic income" recently. It was pretty good, presented both sides of the argument well. One of the discussions was very similar to your excerpt from Wired. They didn't go all the way to a money-free society, but they did say society would be less about buying things you need to survive (food, shelter, care, etc.) and more about how your time is spent.

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Depends on how each issue within their society is defined. Since there is nothing else in our current definition than wealth, then to get wealth - regardless of how it is gotten - must be progress supreme? Even Reagan would feel uncomfortable living in the society he helped create, though. He'd also be "thrown under the bus" as being "too liberal" since Obama's copied a number of his policies (amnesty) or other Reagan acolyte supporters' ideas (Romneycare) and the GOP throws incessant tantrums over his doing so but still worships Reagan that did the same failed and short-sighted policies. (sources include but not limited to MSM and fringe media articles such as http://www.mormonpress.com/obamavreagan )

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Nah. Definitely Marina Sirtis... followed by, amazingly enough, Majel Barrett Roddenberry. She was a looker in her prime: Number One, Nurse Chappell.

However, Kate Mulgrew in her prime, like from Ryan's Hope... well, I have a thing for redheads, so I digress. :oops:

BL.

23. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no, I am pretty busy at work spending 10-12 hours here correcting all of you guys while trying to learn X-code & swift on the side, YOU guys are distracting me :mad:

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Jeri Ryan? Easy to pick.

But when you have Ashley Judd, and Miriam D'Abo also on the show, in their prime, your choices are broadened.

Besides, it was stated in one of the ST: Voyager panels that that costume was very fitting, while others had to be flattened.

I still love the comm badge toss game Garrett Wang and Robby MacNeil played between scenes. Absolutely hilarious.

BL.