The economic meltdown -- good for Obama's campaign?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As things continue to melt down this morning, I'm seeing articles that the economy is being thrust back into the center of the campaign (no kidding!):

First, let me get the obvious out of the way: by the time McCain's people get finished turning this article into a TV commercial, it'll have a picture of a beaming McCain and say:

ECONOMY ROARS BACK!
    -- MSNBC​

Okay. Now I'm wondering if this will be a boon (however unfortunate) for either candidate. I'm sure Obama's people will make even more of McCain's admission that he doesn't understand economics. If they play it right, this might actually be good for Obama's campaign.

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well, stories like this won't help McCain.

3. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

The current state of the economy will hurt McCain pretty bad especially if he isn't careful what he says, therefore helping Obama. To me the biggest turn-off as a voter is someone who doesn't seem to care.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

McCain's sort of right, the people that keep the economy working are still going strong, the peons.

Seems the brains in charge of all the peons had lobotomies before getting hired.

Of course the people in charge are probably where you aim your economic legislation and mental stimulus packages, and give tax breaks to the peons.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The McCain argument will be "throw the bums out" because "Washington changes you". Unfortunately he forgets that he's one of those bums who's been there over a quarter century.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The history of presidential elections is for a change of parties when there are serious economic problems, regardless of cause.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes indeed. Carter/Reagan anyone? Bush/Clinton?

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I realize that Hoover/Roosevelt was before your time, lee. :) Before mine, too, but not all that long before.

What folks don't realize is that Hoover spoke early and often about what was likely to happen with the "irrational exhuberance" of the era. He spoke against the use of high margins in buying stocks, among other things that conttributed to the roar of the Roaring Twenties. In the period of late 1929-1932, however, the president didn't have the powers, nor Congress plus the Administration have adequate knowledge, to stave off the Depression. Even though things were getting somewhat better by late 1932, it was still a plenty-good campaign issue for FDR.

Similarly for Bush I/Clinton. The recession was basically over by the 1992 campaign period and the economy was beginning to expand. Didn't matter; it was still enough of an issue...

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And how long has Biden been there?

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fortunately, Obama will most likely outlive Biden. ;)

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't recall Obama or Biden making the argument that we need to throw the bums out simply because they have been in Washington too long. They are arguing that you need to throw out the bums who subscribe to the economic policies of Bush and the Republican party.

McCain is the one who is campaigning on the fact that Washington changes you. Yet he seems to forget where he's been all this time...