The economic realities of US foreign policy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Oct 8, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Reaganomics where easy to understand. You spend a lot, blame it on the Democrats, reduce income by providing tax relief to the wealthy, and run up a huge national debt.

President Clinton did the opposite. He raised the earning capacity of the country, spent less than he earned, and paid down the debt. Business thrived, and investors were encouraged to see sound financial management. Even the ultra-conservative Alan Greenspan was a converted supporter of this policy.

But, then came Bush II. Once again, we are running up a national debt that is completely out of control. We cannot pass a healthcare plan for children because we a building an embassy complex in Iraq (the one we were suppose to be out of within 90 days), that rivals the Taj Mahal. But, that is not the worse of it.

This article explains the long-term consequences of Bush II economics - our should these just be called neo-Republican economics?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Arrogant son, what hasnt jr screwed up with all the republicans help? but the republican right wing was more worried about a bj then they were a war.,hence 400 billion US dollars down the drain, thousands killed.

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Dont Hurt Me: Probably hundreds of thousands killed. Nobody's keeping close track of the number of civilian Iraqis killed, but the lowest estimates are several tens of thousands dead; the highest are several hundreds of thousands. I've heard that one of the key differences between modern warfare and medieval warfare is that in modern warfare, many more non-combatants are killed.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Just the ones standing next to ammo dumps and military hardware.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Or, in the case of Iraq, pretty much anybody. Especially if you're Blackwater. But we know you're ok with that. 9/11. :rolleyes:

On topic, yes, they are bankrupting the country, and I can't believe anyone calling themselves conservative would ever support it. But they do. Even Daddy Bush called it Voodoo economics, but the Son is being led by the same crooks that propped up Reagan, so it's not that big of a surprise. I've heard certain people here claiming Bush wasn't a conservative, which I'd agree with. But they keep voting for him because they like his tax breaks. Even though it is bankrupting our country.

But then the Dems will come into office, be forced to raise taxes, and the neocons will rail on them even though it was their guy who put us back into such a ridiculous deficit and sent us into a never ending and very expensive war.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Bet you can't wait to pay higher taxes. Happy days are just ahead!

7. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I can't wait to stop throwing money at this war. Happy days ahead, indeed.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Do you think your taxes would go down when the cost of the war is removed? Dream on.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks to your boy W, taxes aren't going down for probably a century or so. :rolleyes:

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do you get your jollies making smartass cracks about dead people? Even you can't really believe this.

11. juanm macrumors 65816

... or the ones who couldn't have a proper health or life because of the destroyed housing and infrastructures... come on, stop trolling, we're all getting tired of it.

Why don't you go there to support this war you seem to like so much by yourself? Yeah, I know, you already spent two years in Saudi Arabia, it's the same thing... :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that Middle West is what it is because of European countries' last two centuries policies have done or allowed to do down there.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Is this the first time you've heard or read about a war? Is there some sort of politically correct, obsequious manner of discussing the death of enemy combatants? Does your crack apply to the citizens that died in Hiroshima or Dresden or just Middle Easterners?

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It applies to any victims of war, but especially to the huge numbers of entirely innocent and helpless bystanders who constitute the collateral damage you seem so at ease with. I really don't think the smugness of your reply was remotely appropriate. The tens of thousands of victims of this wholly unnecessary war were certainly not all "standing next to military equipment", and even if they were, such circumstances would not increase their guilt any more than the hapless inhabitants of Dresden or Hiroshima were guilty of being in the way of our leaders' political choices at the time. These Iraqis were not enemy combatants. Nor, for that matter were the Iraqi soldiers or resistance fighters slaughtered so gleefully in this mess. They were for the most part patriotic fighters trying to defend their country from an illegal invader using weapons of mass destruction against civilian centres. This so-called "war" has left an indelible and shameful stain on our much-vaunted democracies and squandered the temporary moral high ground won by the thousands who gave their lives on the battlefields of two world wars.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That wasn't his point. His point was that you seem to enjoy joking about the suffering and death of others. And indeed, I've seen little in your posts here to indicate otherwise.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

"Seem to enjoy"? I didn't realize that humor or lack thereof was so easily conveyed in a forum without the requisite LOL or other emote.

I don't know what came across as joking, but the only thing that amuses me about the subject is the percentage of people in this forum that think that somehow conducting wars shouldn't result in casualties of the other side whether combatants or bystanders.

This particular war is especially difficult because the enemy don't wear uniforms and even so called innocents are easily recruited into performing the actions of a combatant.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Sorry Swarmlord I'm confused by "the enemy" do you mean the US or the Iraqis?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your smugness comes over crystal clear without the need for any emoticon.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, we've known you long enough that you don't need emoticons.

19. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

So does yours! Gratz!:cool:

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If you have to ask, I can't help you.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The repartee of the playground, hard on the heels of the humanity of the leg-iron.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

For once I agree with you, the mercenaries the US has hired to fight this war are simply the most dangerous enemy the Iraqis face. With no uniform, no accountability and encouraged to treat the Iraqis like non-humans, it's not surprising that they have lost the war for the US.

23. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I do not understand why many of you even bother posting with Swarmlord. I gave that up after a couple weeks. I think SL has a clear agenda here. Notice how he takes a thread and gets it going sideways? I began this thread about how our economic policies were undermining our ability to conduct our foreign policy. Now he had derailed the topic at hand. Look back at the threads he posts on, and you will notice this same pattern.

24. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Probably because we have a futile hope that people like him are ultimately amenable to reason. Perhaps people still have faith in traditional democracy. Perhaps he does serve a function in that it will wake people up to the fact that a worthwhile political system must necessarily marginalize his ilk and prevent them from having any political influence.

That's certainly been a developing view of mine in the past 7 years.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You start this thread with a nonsensical statement about Reaganomics that flies in the face of economic facts and then claim the thread is about our ability to conduct foreign policy? There's a pattern here alright. :rolleyes: