The economy is doing good under Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Oct 27, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Still waiting for all those doomsday scenarios the Democrats where talking about?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/27/fir...rcent-vs-2-point-5-percent-rise-expected.html

First reading on third-quarter GDP up 3.0%, vs 2.5% rise expected
    • The U.S. economy unexpectedly maintained a brisk pace of growth in the third quarter.
    • An increase in inventory investment and a smaller trade deficit offset a hurricane-related slowdown in consumer spending and a decline in construction.
    • Gross domestic product increased at a 3.0 percent annual rate in the July-September period after expanding at a 3.1 percent pace in the second quarter

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

And this has what to do with Trump exactly?

Also, no growth trend lasts forever. We have a recession roughly every 8-10 years.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Good, hopefully he keeps failing to pass anything so things stay as they are.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd say, the economy continues to do well under trump.

What doomsday scenarios?

5. 0007776 Suspended

Yep, it seems like everything is continuing as it was under Obama. Probably thanks to Trump’s inability to get anything done. Although I do wonder how long thing growth can continue with no one really in charge.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Paul Krugman for one, many on this board as well. Oh yeah and there is this rag called CNN: http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/investing/stocks-donald-trump-hillary-clinton/index.html

Fake news.

Then again with predictions like this:

I'm surprised anyone even read them anymore.

7. 0007776 Suspended

I think most of those were based on assumptions that if he won he would actually be able to implement his ideas which thankfully he hasn’t.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I expect a Nobel prize recipient to be clear on his views of a possible doomsday scenario written on the most important newspaper of the world which could actually influence economic and financial decisions.
    He didn’t specify it so we must go literally by his “if Trump wins” as the the trigger under analysis.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The establishment don’t always know what they are on about. But in terms of good jobs I don’t think the economy is doing that well. That’s why Trump won. Sadly he hasn’t changed that.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Pretty sure this is a dupe thread... but the OP is entitled. Still doesn't understand what trend means.. but good for him for trying to lift up Trump. Maybe if you tweet this thread, he'll retweet it!

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

12. kobalap macrumors 6502

CNBC is "fake news" media.

According to Trump's own numbers, real unemployment is upwards of 40%.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Thanks Obama. :D

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama never achieved 3% GDP for the year, we'll see if Trump does.

Failure to pass tax reform would be a true barricade.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

[​IMG]

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If the economy is doing OK as is - you'll have to explain to me why it is so urgent to give corporations and wealthy individuals a massive tax cut?

Because while that may do many things (like blow up the deficit, and further widen inequality) - it has been proven that tax cuts do not grow the economy.

[​IMG]

There are, long-term, only two things that can grow GDP in real terms: An increase in the labor supply. And an increase in productivity.

Trump is, if anything, taking steps to shrink the labor supply - by cutting off immigration. And he is doing nothing to boost productivity.

Right now Trump is bragging because the stock market is up a few percent since his election. What is he going to say if the Dow drops by a couple of thousand points?

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Tax cuts are already partially priced into the stock market. Trump's going to have to own the market from here on out, because he made a big deal about owning the ups. Can't backtrack.

I think they should find a way to tax higher income earners though while leaving businesses with a lower bill.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Blame the horrible deals that were made before he was President, of course.

22. kobalap, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017

kobalap macrumors 6502

Government doesn't achieve jack poo. The American people's hard work is what drives prosperity and growth. If not for incompetents in government (congress and the white hous) screwing things up, GDP would be up 5 or even 6%.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2017 ---
    Why are you talking about stock markets? That's an entirely different thing than the economy. Under Obama, the stock market nearly tripled. During that time, Trump was telling us that over 100 million Americans were unemployed. If you want to talk about stock markets, get back to me when the stock market has tripled under Trump.

You Trump supporters really need to stop moving the goal posts. Figure out what you are going to measure success and failure on and stick with it instead of cherry picking your metrics to suit your narrative.

Incidentally, didn't your boy promise us beautiful health care the moment he strolls into the Oval Office? How is that going?

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well maybe they should. But the details on that get a little tricky. Many (most) high-income people in this country receive their income as a "pass through" from partnerships, S corporations and similar entities.

There are many metrics on which one can judge a President's performance. The growth of the Stock Market being one of them. But I find it curious when Conservatives point to the increase in the Dow Jomes Industrial Average under Trump as being evidence of his success. While claiming that Obama was terrible for the country - when Obama had one of the historically highest periods of growth in modern history. Lagging only Bill Clinton.

24. samiwas macrumors 68000

This idea of consistent 3% growth is ridiculous. It requires larger growth than before each and every year.

For instance, if I do $1,000,000 in sales one year, I will need to make $1,030,000 in sales the next year to achieve 3% growth, or $30,000 in growth. if I make $30,500 in growth the following year, then I've failed. In comparable dollars, the economy had to achieve $227b in growth to achieve 3%, while in 2015, the economy had to achieve $490 billion in growth to hit that number. There's a reason growth has been trending down since the 50s, and why each high is pretty much never reached again.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

All this talk about jobs and groth are interesting in light of report that I saw the other day on a shortage of truckers. Seems people don't want to do the job at the rates the industry is paying and there is a need for thousands of drivers

I don't even hear people talk about jobs anymore. Is that still an issue or not? Seems like it's not. So then why do we need the tax cuts when we are growth limited by the number of people that can fill open jobs?