The Elephant In The Room - Trump Has 16 Accusers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:52 AM.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

First it was Hollywood being held accountable and now we're starting to see it with politicians, starting with Democrats. We need to hold ALL accountable, including Donald Trump who by and large has more accusers than any of them.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Yeah - but Trump told me that they are all lying. So it's all good. I mean he denies it. He COMPLETELY denies it. And Trump never lies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/?utm_term=.2bb91e8e4a19

3. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well, perhaps the accusers can take him to an actual civil or criminal court instead of the court of public opinion? The fact that they haven’t indicates that they don’t have much actual evidence.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

One has. Trump and his lawyers claim he's too busy to go to court.

5. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

This is why women avoid filing charges. Besides getting groped, getting genitals shoved into them, and getting unwanted tonguing, what actual evidence can they present?

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Well the card that will be played is Franken's photo. And I don't condone it. And I believe the woman. But we don't know the context in which the photo was actually taken.

You raised an extremely valid point. That most cases don't have physical evidence. Given our current patriarchal system, I would say that when a woman comes forward and subjects herself to cross-examination and the court of public opinion, she's very likely telling the truth. I would also bet that the number of false allegations vs true ones are small.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If an accusation can be prosecuted, then they should go to court.

If they can’t be prosecuted (statute of limitations), then it’s up to the conscience of the accused to decide whether to resign or stay in office. (and we know trump has no conscience)

If they choose not to resign, then it’s up to the voters in the next election to decide what kind of person they want in public office.

8. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

This is a tough sell as Republicans are screaming for the heads of Democrats while giving their own a free pass.

9. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well, you need SOME evidence, just saying “he did it” isn’t sufficient. Imagine if the criminal justice system operated wth that burden of proof. People lie all the time to get money from rich and famous or just to get 15 minutes of fame. Do you think that anyone would suddenly decide that Al Franken allegedly touching her boob a decade ago was assault if he were just some regular joe working construction? Cmon man!

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you think all the other people accusing people of sexual are liars? Including the Clinton ones?

11. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Friendly reminder, it wasn't just a woman saying "he did it" it was SIXTEEN. Bill Cosby also denied the allegations against him, were all 50 women lying?

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Interesting choice for our Congress enlight of what’s happening across the Nation in corporations, Hollywood, and to politicians.

Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
    -or-
    Lies, Deception, and Self Serving Hypocrites Forever!

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I hope Franken does not resign. It should be up to his constituents to decide if they want him in office or not. Trump got elected by the people (i mean electoral college, lol) knowing all about his accusers. If the people of Alabama want Moore in office it is up to the voters to decide that.

Robert "kkk" Byrd spent 50+ years as an elected official and his constituents did not mind he was part of a hate group. Knowing that he apologized over and over for his past he was forgiven and continually elected to serve. This is no different than Franken apologizing over and over for his "past" actions.

14. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

In the case of both Franken and Moore it's leaving a black eye on their respective parties, something that leaves members having to explain to their constituents why they allowed known sex offenders to continue on. Leadership on both sides are rightfully concerned about this I'm sure. IMO Franken needs to do the right thing here and step down at the request of leadership's unified message.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Franken should be announcing that he's stepping down in about a half hour and Conyers is gone.

16. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Both necessary IMO.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I agree

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would try to point to the bald-faced hypocrisy behind that, just as you did.

And ear plugs help to muffle the screaming.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:15 AM ---
    It's not sufficient in a court of law, but does that mean the women should stay silent?

If someone you could identify punched you really hard in the gut, but no one else saw it, and there were no physical signs of the attack, would you just let that go?

19. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

This is some evidence. Plenty of the accusers told people in their immediate circle, and Trump boasted ON TAPE to treating women this way.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I’d have thought he said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said - should be more than sufficient to prove beyond all reasonable doubt presuming the she’s are independent and have no obvious reasons to lie.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well there was that one time when he admitted his actions on tape. ;)

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't know how well that stands up in criminal or civil court.

I would think that there'd need to be some form or corroborating evidence that goes beyond just the accusations (at least in criminal court).

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The courts are something I have felt is broken for a long time.

24. kobalap macrumors 6502

Dude, get it through your thick skull. Trump supporters don't care.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:45 AM ---
    Trump supporters don't care. There are more voters in Alabama that don't care about women and children being sexually assaulted than voters that do care. There are more voters in the US that don't care about sexual predators than voters that do care.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well in a criminal trial people have been convicted on the testimony of witnesses and victims. This is not to say that some accusations don’t have an agenda beyond justice, so good judgement and credibility is required in the formula.