The End of an Era - Original Big Bird, Caroll Spinney, Leaves ‘Sesame Street’ After Nearly 50 Years

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by samcraig, Oct 17, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I'm in tears now T_T

Got to meet Mr Spinney through a friend who's now working for Children's Television Workshop as an apprentice puppeteer. He's a beautiful man.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. Amazing man. and IIRC, he's the last surviving member of the original Sesame Street Cast still on the show.

I wish he could have lasted another 8 months; that way he could retire at 50 years to the day... or perhaps that is why he is doing this now; so those last voices he is doing will be on that 50th anniversary show.

I just hope that what happened to Charles Schulz doesn't happen to Spinney.

BL.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Kudos, Mr. Spinney for a job well done.

5. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yeah, I'm worried about that too. Retirement can be a literal killer of creatives, Schulz, Kirby and others.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sesame Street was a superb example of American public service broadcasting at its idealistic and impressive and creative best; a great show with some amazing talent.

Good luck to Carroll Spinney, and having spent half a century on Sesame Street is a wonderful, enriching and incredibly rewarding way to have spent one's professional life.