Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
After slow and painful death of Blockbuster video stores i think Cinema theaters are heading on the same direction due to recent digital and technological revolution, home entertainment theater and current lifestyle. What do you think?

The last movie i watched at the movies was for Michael Douglass many many years ago and that was it , i don't know i am feeling the attraction and excitement is just not there anymore.

If you stopped or slowed going to the movies what put you off?

Last edited:

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Digital downloads and streaming have been around for years. You're presuming everyone does streaming or purchases digital downloads. A large subset of the world still goes to the cinema because that's more convenient for them.

Not presuming anything , we've had a major lifestyle and other changes in the last 10 years and one of them is social media.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Three reasons:
1) $$$. $10 for a ticket, $5 for a hot dog, $3 Coke, $5 Popcorn.
2) Long ass pre-movie trailers. My $3 Coke has gone flat before the movie starts.:mad:
3) I've got a sweet HT system at home:cool: (120" projection, 7.1 Surround, reclining love seat, mood lighting...)

Who'd want to go to the movies when you have a 102 inch 8k Tv with almost new movies.
Things are changing too fast so i think its time ...
[doublepost=1560964458][/doublepost]
Without data over a decade time span, it's presumption. Put it up if you've got it. Not anecdotal accounts.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mov...utting-becomes-more-popular-2016-9/?r=AU&IR=T
[doublepost=1560964635][/doublepost]I am sure Hollywood will become Soldwood sooner or later:rolleyes:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
After slow and painful death of Blockbuster video stores i think Cinema theaters are heading on the same direction due to recent digital and technological revolution, home entertainment hub and current lifestyle. What do you think?

The last movie i watched at the movies was for Michael Douglass many many years ago and that was it , i don't know i am feeling the attraction and excitement is just not there anymore.

If you stopped or slowed going to the movies what was your reason?

Not sure, with AMC A-List (and Moviepass before that ) I have been going to the movies about once a week for more than a year now. Found quite a few gems.

Also, let me mention that the Avengers' last movie grossed $2.7B, not bad for a dying industry.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
That isn't data. Those are snippets. NATO or the National Association of Theater Owners stipulates that in 2009 the average price of a cinema ticket was $7.50. In 2018 it was $9.11 and typical prices now are just over $12 whereas they were about $11 then, before and during the recession with AMC here, the land of film stars.

https://www.natoonline.org/data/ticket-price/

Your article doesn't talk much about cord cutting as it does about people unable to decide what to watch because there's so much competition within films. Cord cutting made sense years ago but at the rate networks are going, you'll be back to paying a full cable bill in subscriptions.

P.S. Business Insider is crap. It's just above mommy blog BS. It's been on a downward trend since the recession.

Reactions: smirking

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Short answer: Nachos

Twelve years ago, I was in a bad marriage, and then going through a divorce. Prior to having the marital problems I was having, i would typically go to the theater about once a month, but during the rough times, I would go a few times a week.

My wife would act nuts, so I would leave and go see a movie, and it didn't matter what it was.

I went to a close-by Regal Theater, and I was a member of their Crown Card program, racking up the points.

Even more then watching the movie, I enjoyed the peaceful time eating Regal's nachos with salsa and cheese. I would get it with a large cherry cola, and I felt at peace for the next two hours.

Well, I divorced my wife, and I was dating again, taking many of my dates to the movies, still enjoying my nachos.

I started dating a long time friend, who would end up being my wife, and a short time after we got together, Regal changed their nachos.

They got rid of the salsa, and changed the chips to ones that came in a little bag.

I swear, the new chips tasted JUST like cardboard. I was pissed about it, and complained.

Then I stopped going.

I didn't go for a few years at all, until the Warcraft movie came out, and they changed the chips again. Still no salsa, and the chips are still in a bag, but at least they do not taste like cardboard.

Last edited:

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
That isn't data. Those are snippets. NATO or the National Association of Theater Owners stipulates that in 2009 the average price of a cinema ticket was $7.50. In 2018 it was $9.11 and typical prices now are just over $12 whereas they were about $11 then, before and during the recession with AMC here, the land of film stars.

https://www.natoonline.org/data/ticket-price/

Your article doesn't talk much about cord cutting as it does about people unable to decide what to watch because there's so much competition within films. Cord cutting made sense years ago but at the rate networks are going, you'll be back to paying a full cable bill in subscriptions.

P.S. Business Insider is crap. It's just above mommy blog BS. It's been on a downward trend since the recession.

Ok Business insider is crap what about the rest....

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/3/16844662/movie-theater-attendance-2017-low-netflix-streaming

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-41161056

https://uproxx.com/movies/movie-theater-
attendance-2017/

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009

The slump is part of an ongoing downward trend when it comes to domestic ticket sales. The Hollywood Reporter estimates that attendance in North America could be at a 27-year low. But when you factor in international theater attendance, things look slightly less dire. As The Hollywood Reporter points out, global box office revenue hit a record $40 billion this year (an increase of 3 percent worldwide).

Last year’s slump in domestic ticket sales can partly be attributed to a very poor turnout during the summer blockbuster season. Theater attendance in the US and Canada during the summer months, which saw releases like Baywatch, The Mummy, and the fifth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, hit a 25-year low, according to the LA Times. The number of tickets sold from May through Labor Day was reportedly down 16 percent from 2016.

Refer to:
Your article doesn't talk much about cord cutting as it does about people unable to decide what to watch because there's so much competition within films

Patrick Corcoran, vice-president of the National Association of Theatre Owners, believes the slump was simply down to the quality of the films that were released.

"Audiences won't show up in bulk if you don't offer them anything to see," he told the BBC.

"There were no big, broadly appealing movies available to the public from the beginning of July through until now - certainly none to compare to, say, Suicide Squad, which brought in more than $500m (£383m) in 2016.

Really the same as above.

If major studios put out bad film after bad film month over month over a year or two, people won't patron theaters because they don't want to waste money on those films. Your three links and the original link offer little in the form of data for the point they're trying to make, and instead rely on the belief of theater owners who are very much saying the same globally, for several years as your own links vary in publishing date.

Go to Wikipedia, pick out a major film studio, and look at their yearly releases. Then refer to the gross sales on each movie. Refer to IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. Chances are if a year has been bad for a studio or a summer season, it's because they released terrible films.

Think of it this way. Disney makes hand over fist in wads of cash each year on their movie properties. If Disney spent the next three years releasing the Disney equivalent of an Adam Sandler title every 4-5 months for their various film branches, do you think they would post high earnings at the theater? If they released 12 films a year on all their branches, would theater goers watch a subpar film even if Disney made it?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I still go to the cinema but rarely these days as it costs nearly £40 to take myself, wife and two children. If the kids want sweets I don’t get much change out of 50 quid. I can’t justify it when I can download the film off the internet. If we had the prices of say 15 years ago I’d still go weekly. It’s being reported often that cinemas are struggling and it’s not hard to see why.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Three reasons:
2) Long ass pre-movie trailers. My $3 Coke has gone flat before the movie starts.:mad:
3) I've got a sweet HT system at home:cool: (120" projection, 7.1 Surround, reclining love seat, mood lighting...)

Agree and I would add 4) Incredibly rude people in the theater. 5) Commercials before the trailers. 6) Getting a seat that's not really what you wanted.

I'll go for huge releases but overall I don't miss the movie theater at all.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Going to see a movie in theater still seems pretty popular to me. I'll still go for flicks that are best enjoyed on the big screen. I think the last movie I saw in a theater was Endgame and I think probably Bohemian Rhapsody before that. Watching a movie at home still isn't the same experience as going to the theater whereas the rise of streaming and VOD meant people could watch the same movies on their same TV for the same, or less cost than going to the local Blockbuster so the death of video rental places was pretty much inevitable.

Reactions: Healer Flame

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Agree and I would add 4) Incredibly rude people in the theater. 5) Commercials before the trailers. 6) Getting a seat that's not really what you wanted.

I'll go for huge releases but overall I don't miss the movie theater at all.
7. Pause when you need to pee, rewind when you mishear, and enable subtitles when the audio is wonky.
8. Being able to bring whatever food you want.
9. Being able to spread out, lie down, or embrace a partner while you watch.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
They got rid of the salsa, and changed the chips to ones that came in a little bag.

I swear, the new chips tasted JUST like cardboard. I was pissed about it, and complained.

I probably should have added that not only did these tortilla chips taste like cardboard, they looked like cardboard too.

They didn't have a random shape and curve like most tortilla chips, but they were all flat, dark-tan or brown, and had a uniformed shape and texture, like they were processed from recycled paper products.. I can't remember the brand on the bag, if there even was one.

Also, Regal is now using Tostitos (I am pretty sure) for their nachos, and while they are not bad, it is only a little bag of them, and a little cup of nacho cheese. Not enough for me to become a regular to the theater again.

I know that all this talk about nachos might sound like I am being dramatic, and maybe I am, but Regal's old nachos helped me get through a really hard time in my life, and I was really sad to see it replaced with turd chips in a bag.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I thought this year was going to be a slow one, as far as movies go, and so far...

i've gone to see...
-Godzilla
-John Wick 3

...and plan on seeing...
-Toy Story 4
-IT Chapter 2
-Ford vs Ferrari
-Joker

..and i missed...
-Missing Link

....so much for a "slow" year.

Reactions: Healer Flame

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Three reasons:
Plus if I fall asleep, I can just rewatch the movie again later!

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Back when movies were shown in plush movie houses, people even dressed up to go to the show.

Then came the drive ins, every one loved those best of all, especially if you were a teenager. But even If you were old, and married you could bring your kids in Free! You could even bring your own food, and drink of choice.

Now, at least in most towns, the movie house is a cement block, multi screen box, full of coughing people, and not a place you want be... especially during Flu season. LOL a2

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I do think the volume of cinema goers will continue to drop. If you notice, films released in the cinema, are available for purchase after about 3 months. Before it would be almost 6-8 months before one could purchase films...

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I do think the volume of cinema goers will continue to drop. If you notice, films released in the cinema, are available for purchase after about 3 months. Before it would be almost 6-8 months before one could purchase films...
Sometimes even longer.
Yea, I have noticed this too.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
After slow and painful death of Blockbuster video stores i think Cinema theaters are heading on the same direction due to recent digital and technological revolution, home entertainment hub and current lifestyle. What do you think?

I don't know if theater attendance is dropping (I don't think it is)... but I wouldn't be surprised if the demographics are changing.

The biggest reason why I limit my visits to movie theaters to once or twice a year is... the other patrons. The complete lack of respect for others impedes my ability to enjoy the film. And it doesn't matter what the film is... Summer blockbuster (that kind of behavior is expected) or an "unknown" film.

I used to love the theater experience. I'm ancient enough to remember watching the Godfather and so many other classic films during their initial theatrical release. Even a full-day marathon of all 5 Planet of the Apes films where the place was packed with kids was surprisingly tame by comparison.

Back in the day... movie previews, the first feature, cartoons, second feature... for the price of admission.

Now I ask myself the question, "would the benefit of watching this film on the large screen outweigh the annoyance of the other moviegoers?"

Sad, but that's where we're at.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
7. Pause when you need to pee, rewind when you mishear, and enable subtitles when the audio is wonky.
8. Being able to bring whatever food you want.
9. Being able to spread out, lie down, or embrace a partner while you watch.

I like your list :) here is more..

10. Can not fast forward the boring parts of the movie. I am very impatient if the movie is boring. I feel like i am wasting valuable time. At least with Netflix you can skip the parts you don't like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.