The "End Times"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by viperGTS, Mar 26, 2015.

1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Let me start by saying that I'm not the most religious person in the world. I was born and raised a Catholic and I definitely believe in God, though I haven't been in much touch with my faith in recent years.

I'm also no expert on bible prophecy, and I only really look it up when I look at posts on the Internet of people saying "OMG this happened, we're approaching the End Times, we're going home!"

That being said, I have a certain friend on Facebook, an old teacher of mine, who is very religious. Nearly all of his posts concern Israel or ISIS, and every once in a while he will mention how a certain event is a signal of the end times. This time, he seemed really convinced due to the following: http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/blog/?p=32009

He is absolutely convinced that he's returning "home" very soon, which I assume to be God's Kingdom in this case. Websites like the above are, in my opinion, really only made to fear monger. I try to think rationally and not assume the worst, but this is very slightly convincing.

I personally don't feel that the world is ending soon (possibly not at all), but for those especially knowledgeable on prophecy, how do you take this? I don't think this is the first time that Arab nations have come together to fight Israel, but I may be wrong. Even those not experts on prophecy, what do you think?

I understand that people have been shouting "end times" for thousands of years; is this no different?

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

People have been calling for end times for how many thousand years now? Eventually someone will be right.

3. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Are you suggesting that now they might be?

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Yes, give me all your stuff, you can PayPal me the cash, you won't need it where you and everyone else is going, I however plan on sticking around a bit .

5. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Very funny. :rolleyes:

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

So are the end of times believers , the world is going to end. Yes it is, eventually, the world ceases to exist the minute you die , life goes on , if you are seriously concerned then repent or what ever your particular denomination calls for and be happy

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the sad part is al the children that suffer under their parents that sold all their stuff took them out of school and such with the last large last days scam we hand. When I hear end of days start looking for a money scam going on. myself anyone that wants the world to end so they can see Jesus is a horrible person wanting people to die so they can meet their maker.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Prediction: The world will end in 5 billion years. Check me.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I don't feel that within my lifetime we will experience end times. I guess I'm saying that part of the experience of being on Earth is that you don't really know what will happen. If someone or group makes end time prophecies over thousands of years, eventually someone somewhere will be right and at that point it won't really matter anyway.

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

The end times are not here yet. There's a lot of things that have to take place first. Fully autonomous self driving electric cars is one thing, and then several years later, the computer that will be hardwired into your brain. Don't leave home without it? Well, you won't be leaving home without it no more.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. It is no different.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so where is your donation link? can't be real unless you are asking for donations.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If it is, it will be by pure coincidence rather than any prophecy.

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes, the end is near.
    I am very close to god and talk to him on a daily basis.
    He told me that you should repent now and transfer me your funds, to secure a place in heaven.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have an uneasy feeling about Putin's intentions. It's starting to sound a lot like the Cold War again. Mind you, we survived that, so probably not the end of everything.

17. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

When the sun dies this planet will suck to live on, that´s for sure.
    But then again, who says we still do?

A lot of people are working on how to colonise other planets, I´m quite sure they will figure it out in my lifetime.

So in a few 1000 years it will probably be the most normal thing to move between planets :)

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The Bible is a human construct, representing the fears and hopes of superstitious humans wanting a Big Daddy in the sky. Any predictions based on Biblical prophesies hold as much weight as any good novel. Frodo Baggins faced great odds against apocalyptic forces and prevailed and that was based on a specific viable threat.

In contrast predictions based on 2000 year old scripts is a big waste of time in my book. Look to viable threats, the product of human faults and failure, as simple as Humans + nuclear weapons = End Times. No divine prophecy or reading tea leaves required. :)

19. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The Arab nations aren't coming together to fight Israel, and the article you linked to doesn't describe anything of that nature, either.

You're probably familiar with the Sunni vs. Shiite (also spelled Shia) issue in Muslim nations. The reason why it matters on the scale of nations is that Iran is unique in being the only powerful nation under Shiite control. Yemen was recently destabilized by a Shiite group that is currently on track to take power in the nation. This is concerning to Sunni-led nations, such as Saudi Arabia. The concern is that Shiite countries will be heavily influenced by and friendly to Iran, which makes them more likely to be hostile to the Sunni countries. "Security concerns" really means maintaining the status quo when it comes to the power balance between Sunnis and Shiites. Israel doesn't factor in here.

20. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

A broken clock is still right twice per day.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless its a digital clock :p

22. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

ha, I am doing a 2 for 1 sale, 2 souls into heaven for the price of one, act NOW and get a discount on the third:D

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

not if it is a digital clock.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

30 free virgins for every donation above 1000$ here.
    50 virgins for 10000$+

Remember:
    A rich man will not go to heaven! Let me take the burden from your shoulders.