Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
First Rule of New Products: If you can't buy it today, it doesn't exist. It could be delayed (years, in the case of the Mac Pro). The project could be canceled or changed beyond recognition. Even if there is a prototype shown at an Apple Event. If it isn't in your hands, it doesn't exist. Do NOT wait for the Next Big Thing.

Reactions: Menthol

Menthol

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2013
Menthol, would you care to explain to me what makes you feel Personus Quantum is “better” than MOTU’s mid/higher priced interfaces (excluding their really cheap alternatives) such as their 828es?

I don't really think the Quantum is a better interface than the 828es; in fact, objectively speaking, it might not be quite as good. It's definitely not as flexible and feature-laden. However, it is I believe the better bang for the buck and is considerably cheaper and simpler, both of which appeal to me. Plus, it's Thunderbolt 3, not 2, which saves an additional $50 by avoiding the ridiculously-priced adapter you would have to get to hook the 828es up to your iMac. Overall, I think the price difference is significant and I'm not convinced I would use all the bells and whistles on the 828es. With the money you save you could then opt for a bigger SSD on your iMac.

I saw a long discussion on Gearslutz about the 2626, which included comments from owners of both the 2626 and the 4848 who said they could detect no difference in sound quality between the two. The reviews have also been stellar (Sound on Sound: "The newest addition to the Quantum range offers a plethora of I/O and excellent latency performance for a very reasonable price.") Perhaps the biggest vote of confidence in the 2626 is that it's so damn hard to find -- Presonus can't keep up with demand.

I can tell you're an agonizer, which I'm sympathetic to, in that I can go down that road as well. I relate to both your general rumination on the wisdom of getting a 2020 iMac, as well as the issues related to using it for audio. But sometimes it's just better to make the decision and then NOT LOOK BACK. I am quite certain the iMac and either audio interface will help you do amazing stuff if you can stop worrying and make the decision. It is HERE NOW AND VERY USABLE; it's not worth it to worry about what may be available in one or two years. You'll just be stuck in an endless loop.

For what it's worth, I ordered my iMac last week and I'm getting the Presonus, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. There are small compromises, but few of us have unlimited funds to spend on, say, a Mac Pro and a $2500 interface, so this is what I'm going to do. For me, it was time to act. Of course it's not my place to tell you what to do, but I hope I can help at least put you in touch with some of the cognitive baggage that is holding you back.

So consider this a pep talk and a friendly nudge. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: neuralengine

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
I really appreciate your post. I was kind of decided on getting the iMac but this morning it started again after reading your post I really think I will follow your advice and just act, it’s fun trying to come up with your perfect setup in the beginning but it becomes quite anxious after a while (of course it’s still fun sometimes otherwise I guess it would be easier to just act).

I might also get the Presonus Quantum 2626 since it’s so much cheaper I guess I can always decide to upgrade at a later time if I don’t like it. Though this I’m not entirely sure about. Will try to read up and read reviews on the Quantum and see if it fits my purpose but if it does I see no reason to go with it.
I am sure I won’t use all the bells and whistles of the 828es but at least I’m sure about that it has most of what I’m looking at in an interface (except TB3, but I already own a TB2 to TB3 adapter).
I believe it’s possible to chain Quantum interfaces together for more I/O so I guess it has one of the most important feature at least to expand I/O without spending over a thousand EUR.

I really appreciate your pep talk and please let me know when you’ve received the iMac and the Quantum and tell me what you think about them!
What configuration did you order?
Myself I will try ordering the iMac in the next few days and hopefully Apple is shipping it faster than they say it’s expected delivery date is.

PS. mGrayson3, preciously I’ve had some luck and mostly felt the need to upgrade my computers just as Apple is either planning to update them or has updated them. So it’s kind if a habit thar is learnt and together with my personality I guess kind of clashed here. Oh. And with Apple I don’t have that set or views, when Apple shows something to the best of my knowledge it’a very rare that it is something that is later cancelled or changed entirely. I can only think of AirPower (?). But I get your point and your advice and appreciate it!

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
For me the probability of non upgradable RAM in a new design made me jump from a great 2017 27" to the 2020 27"... very happy.

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Glad to hear that!.. and yes most probably Apple upcoming computers are most defiantly without upgradable RAM or SSD and with today’s BTO prices it’s a concern I also have. I don’t had that much ram though and have managed fine with 16 GB but I have the 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance lying around home and I hope they work fine with the 2020 27” iMac.

Hopefully I’ll order today or tomorrow. Still haven’t decided in 512 GB or BTO 1TB. I have external drives but it’s nice with disk space I guess but do I need it? Hmm usually record music to a Samsung T5 500 GB..

Menthol

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2013
I might also get the Presonus Quantum 2626 since it’s so much cheaper I guess I can always decide to upgrade at a later time if I don’t like it. Though this I’m not entirely sure about. Will try to read up and read reviews on the Quantum and see if it fits my purpose but if it does I see no reason to go with it.
I am sure I won’t use all the bells and whistles of the 828es but at least I’m sure about that it has most of what I’m looking at in an interface (except TB3, but I already own a TB2 to TB3 adapter).
I believe it’s possible to chain Quantum interfaces together for more I/O so I guess it has one of the most important feature at least to expand I/O without spending over a thousand EUR.

Yes, you can daisy chain the Quantums. One limitation, though, is that it cannot be operated in standalone mode (i.e., without a computer). Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you, but thought you should know.

This thread may be of interest:

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
I believe I have decided on the 1TB SSS option at least, I don’t need it but it’s a nice to have

Started doubting on the graphic option though. I’m planning to go with the 5500XT, I hope that’s not a terrible mistake?
Will probably check in one more time before ordering. Noticed Apple has either extended the AirPods campaign or if I confused October with September because the terms say it ends in the 28th of October not 28th of September so I guess I have more time to hesitate about this and feel anxious. Though I’m not going to do that and instead order today as I planned just figured I ask the thing about the gfx card.

I’m not sure why you upgrade to 5700XT or 5700 I’d you don’t play games or do video editing but if you do simpler 3D modeling (because I understand it’s more to do with the professor rather than the graphic card) and if you do music production (and might be getting a larger second display at 30-34” but only if I figure out how it all would fit together without interfering with the stereo image)
Not the end of the world because I could just return it if there a an issue but since I already returned one iMac in the past and I assume I’ll have to return the AirPods as well so trying to get it right the first time. :)

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Alright thanks! And thanks for all help in this thread. Wouldn’t have made it without you!

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
I placed the order yesterday. Then mine of “panicked” because I forgot to change the Magic Mouse to a Magic Trackpad, trying editing the order but it wasn’t possible on the web. Had to call Apple this morning and I asked for the easiest solution if I really don’t have any use for a Magic Mouse but would like second gen Magic Trackpad.

Of course Apples simplest way of solving this was to cancel my order entirely, tell me that when the delivery man comes with my AirPods (apparently scheduled to be delivered tomorrow) that he should take them back. And when 30 hours have past place the same order again but with the Magic Trackpad in order for my back to school offer to have been reset (due to only 1 offer per year).

So simple. “Apple - It just works!”...
But yeah totally my fault to not check that I made the current order.. fairly sure I clicked in Trackpad though but whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.