Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Please bear with me in this long post. I am in desperate need of help.

All I want to do is add a FireWire PCI card. My Dual 1 GHz MDD is wonderful-I must use the sleep feature upwards of 6 times a day; waking it up anytime I need to. I love it.

That's all gone now.

I knew there were problems with FW PCI cards and deep sleep. That is why I went with the Sonnet Allegro FW 400 Card. Sonnet said that the card is fully supported under Panther. Fully supported.

Well guess what. I put my computer to sleep, and the fans don't turn off. :( My computer is literally 1 foot away from my bed (not kidding). If the fans don't turn off, I could care less about deep sleep. So I sent that one off back to Sonnet. Hopefully I'll get my money back.

I then bought this Belkin FireWire PCI Card from the Apple Store. I told them my story with the previous card and how it did not deep sleep. They said sure, it will work fine. 100 %. I am sure you can figure out what happened.

Same thing: fans don't turn off. :(

And, this is not a problem with my computer...I put the Belkin card in my Dad's AGP Graphic Power Mac-it does not sleep. He took his USB 2 card and put it in my computer. It does sleep. I guess they can make USB 2 to work with deep sleep, but not FireWire....

So, either no one understands what Deep Sleep means (including the fans shutting off) or everyone is lying to me-even Apple.

This is so ridiculous I cannot even explain. Meanwhile, I've spent the last two weeks sharing my 2 FW ports with 4 devices.

So I ask, is anyone using any FireWire PCI card that 100% supports deep sleep? I couldn't care less about the cost, I just need to get my Mac working again.

Thank you inifitently for reading this entire post (if you did). :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Why not just get an external FireWire hub? Unless you need the full bandwidth for 4 devices at once this will be a pretty good solution and should not stop your Mac sleeping...

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I have a friend using the same Sonnet card you tried. He also has a dual 1GHz MDD system. He had his card originally installed under Jaguar, then upgraded to Panther. I asked him about sleep and he says no problem.

This may not be much help to you, but that hardware combination appears to work in at least some cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.