The ever looming issue: Buy or steal music?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BJB Productions, Jan 15, 2011.

?

Legal or not?

1. I buy all my music legally

45 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. I do not get all my music legally

39 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Ok..so it's the good ol' ever present "Well it's available on Youtube and Grooveshark, so what's the difference if I torrent it and put it in my iTunes, just not my iPod?"

In other words... I really want to know what people think about this... Please be honest. Do you buy or "not buy" your music? :)

I personally struggle with this; and try to keep things legal...but it's hard sometimes.

Look forward to discussion on this

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I buy all of my music, TV shows, movies, or games.

You need to support the artists who create it. Plus, why risk having someone come after you for stealing content? There's so much out there that is free or ridiculously low priced that it just doesn't make sense to steal.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Depending on where in the world you live it depends what is reasonable to expect.

If the record companies can't be bothered to sell the content in your country for a reasonable price there is no reason you shouldn't steal it.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Stealing all the way, you're not supporting the artists, you're supporting the record labels. Music should be free.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just music?

What other forms of art or creativity should then likewise be free?

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Ok, so for those of you who said you buy most of your music legally, where do you draw the line? What makes you not buy something?

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The only music I don't buy are remixes, mashups and mixtapes that don't exist in paid form, and sometimes leaked singles that will help me gauge whether or not I want to preorder the album.

I feel that if I want to hear good quality music I need to ensure that the people who make it can do it as their full time job, so I pay for it.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Don't know, don't care. If i can get it free, i will.

10. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I buy all my music but I haven't bough a movie on DVD in years. I use Netflix for most of the movies I watch but I do occasionally torrent movies.

11. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I'd say 80% of my music is legal. The other 20% is mostly foreign music which isn't available in a legal format where I live.

BTW; If you live in Canada where file sharing is legal, couldn't you choose the first option even if 100% of your music was torrented?

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Now there's a carefully reasoned response. :rolleyes:

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

It is technically called pirated music ... not stolen.

Stealing music would be walking into a record store and stealing a physical disc that also takes from the whole manufacture process of creating the product.

Of my 1950 digital songs I have ... approx 1900 were copied from physical CDs I purchased and the other 50 were pirated from the old Napster.:cool:

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The definition of whats legal or not is very different from where you live.
    Norway has the widest perspective on whats legal or not.
    Everything you have legal access to continuously you can copy.
    That means if your brother, or your best friend, own a CD and you can borrow it and copy it. Download something and you are a criminal. This does not apply to videos btw.

Some larger companies have tried to stop it, but have lost every case, so far, and they have to abide to norwegian law if they wanna do business here :)

The funny thing is that Norway has the most sold music pr citizen in the world, so I guess they aren't loosing any money to it and so far no major labels have left the market.

I have about 30.000 files in my music library, and I guess 99% of them are legal, where as i own about 25% of it myself, and my close family and friends own the rest.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If we could do away with the big labels and just pay the artists and engineers we would be in a better world.

16. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I buy all my music legally. The artists need to be compensated for their work.

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Is that good for the business world? Wouldn't it put a lot of people out of work?

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not paying the artists puts the small guys out of work. The labels are making money either way. The people involved with the record are the artists producers and engineers. Studio time is what takes up the expense when making a record. Cut out the middle man being the label and just pay the artist directly and make that money go right to the people that make the music not the executives.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

can we apply that logic to automobiles? especially exotic luxury cars? hey, if the auto manufacturers aren't going to sell those things for a reasonable price..........right?

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

good luck downloading that BMW ... you are comparing Apples to Oranges:cool:

21. Macky-Mac, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

granted, stealing something by downloading is easier than boosting a BMW (that's what you consider an exotic luxury car??? :( how sad!!! :p ) but does the fact that it's easy make it OK?

And why would that even be a factor if the standard for allowable theft is whether or not you think the seller is offering goods at a "reasonable" price?

22. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

I currently steal all of my music, but donate ~$10 to the artists for each album I steal, if they have that option on their website. I do this because I refuse to pay $15-$20 for a piece of plastic that I will have no use for after I rip it losslessly to iTunes, especially given that only ~$5 will ever go to the artists, and the rest is kept by the record labels.

If it comes down to it and ISPs/Governments/etc start to really crack down on pirating, I will be really ticked, but will not have a problem with buying CD's to get my music.

23. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Man I lol'd so hard when I remembered this.

Attached Files:

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

How about this angle: in 1979, I bought "The Headboys", primarily for one so-so song (The Shape of Things to Come). Not sure what happened to the album, may be in the attic or the garage, and my stereo-to-computer setup is a little flaky anyway. iTunes store does not have this, but I found it on a peer-to-peer network. I paid for the song, back then, and it is not to be had in any other way today. Am I stealing?

25. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Not in reality, but as far as the record labels are concerned you are. My question is, is it stealing when people used to record songs off the radio onto cassettes? And is it stealing to convert from youtube to mp3? Which is essentially the 21st century version of recording off the radio.