The Exorbitant Price of Razor Blades

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, Nov 10, 2011.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

So after spending $12 for a pack of razor blades, I'm wondering if anybody has any alternatives they use. I've tried electric, it's not my cup of tea.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you could grow a beard.

but in all seriousness there are straight razors you can use that last a lot longer, the cost is more upfront from what i understand but not as expensive in the long haul.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That's the profit for shaver companies, they give away the handle. Much like printer ink is the Holy Grail of cheap printers.

Good news it's Movember!
    [​IMG]

4. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Movember was considered and then vetoed by my company's dress code.

5. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think the best thing you can do is wait for them to go on sale at the grocery store, search for coupon, and then wait for the double coupn day. It seriously is rediculous.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Buy a cheaper brand. I've moved from Gilette to Schick myself, save about 1.50$ per blade.

Then there's these bad boys to consider :

[​IMG]

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't have patience, nor do I have time to use those...

9. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

Blades are way too expensive. I spend a small fortune on them. I do have an electric one but sometimes it just doesn’t cut it...
    Won’t lie the old school straight razor is a bit intimidating.

10. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

What an awesome thread. It never dawned on me that there could be other men out there, equally disgusted at the ridiculous prices of blades.

I totally understand and justify spending a premium on a good quality blade (ie: Mach3 vs single-blade Bic) but these prices are off the chain! This is almost as ridiculous as the hilarious price of soda and popcorn at a movie theater.

I usually buy Gillette Sensor 3 from Walmart for $5.97 and they work great. Typically,they'll last me about six weeks since I only shave every other 3-4 days (sometimes longer).

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I use the real Gillette safety razor. You can get the handles for about $10 to $15 for a vintage model. If you want new Merkur makes the handles now. Then good blades usually run $15 to $20 for a 100 pack.

1313006327_238013437_6-1946-GILLETTE-CONTRACT-TECH-SAFETY-RAZOR-United-States.jpg

I recommend the Shark Super Chrome blades. The manufacturer does matter. Some are just horrible. Each blade lasts about a week.

I should note shaving is a bit different with a classic safety razor. You gently and slowly glide the razor across the skin with about as much force as the weight of the razor. Rather than pushing like a disposable and using quick. Also you will cut yourself it takes a few months to really perfect the technique. It will also take a while to get the optimal angle.

That being said there are many advantages. You get a much closer shave. Much less irritation so say goodbye to razor burn. Unlike those multiblade disposable you'll get far fewer ingrown hairs. As the multiblades can cause a hair to break under the skin.

I would also highly recommend a good badger hair brush like a Vulfix 2197. It is pricey but if you treat it right it will last 20+ years. Rinse it out thoroughly after each use, shake it out, hang it upside down in a stand and don't jam it against your face.

You can also get a good shaving cream. I'm partial to Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood and there other scents (you'd be surprised but Rose actually smells manly). A bit pricey but lasts me three to four months or about equal to 4 or 5 cans of shaving gel. This helps a razor glide across your face better. It needs to be used with a brush or you'll waste a lot of cream. The brush can give a rich lather with a dime size amount of cream.

For aftershave I use Geo F. Trumpers Sandalwood Skinfood. The 200ml should last 6 to 9 months, I buy the 500ml bottle for well over a year of after shave. This is the priciest bit but well worth it in my opinion. You can skip the aftershave but it really does make your face feel better after a shave.

The thing is after making the switch. Shaving is actually becomes a pleasant ritual. Rather than a chore.

The article, "How to Get That Perfect Shave." is what convinced me to make the switch. I spend less now than I did with Mach 3's and shaving gel but get a better and more pleasant shave.

12. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Wander over to Badgerandblade for a look-see. Personally I'm a straight razor user.

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

badger hair brush? Ehhh..... Any "yucky" synthetic alternative?

At $10 for a fusion proglide, i don't think the shaver companies are "giving away" the handles anymore.

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Synthetic brushes are usually cheap and don't hold enough water to produce a rich lather. Anyways the badger hair is cleaned. Even if it wasn't you can wash the brushes with shampoo. If you have ever touched another persons hair or pet an animal with fur then you are touching something much dirtier than any of these brushes.

Also the badgers are not killed if that is a concern. They are trimmed like sheep.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I use Bic Disposables - Sensitive.

I get about 10 shaves out of them, before pitching.

Single-blade, but quite effective, and easier to clean than stacked-blades.

Attached Files:

16. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I'll second a safety razor. I was fed up with spending so much money on replacement blades, so I decided to try something new:

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-...0T1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320967039&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Double...ef=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1320967077&sr=1-2

30 bucks got me the razor, another 5 bucks for a 10 pack of replacement blades, and I was up and running. Took me months to go through that 10 pack. The safety razor takes a little getting used to, but once you get it, it's a very clean shave. No razor burn. I'd also recommend you get a badger hair brush + shaving cream to go with it. I will never switch back to conventional razors.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Razor blades are so outrageous. I just roll with the permanent stubble look, a beard trimmer with a very short comb does the trick. Can go years with the same trimmer that costs as much as a pack of blades, and feels nothing like the facial assault that is an electric razor.

I don't really like being clean shaven, but when I must, I've got a Mach 3 and I follow up with this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Paris-...HSEO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320968349&sr=8-4

18. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Exactly what I don't want to hear ;) I'm way too afraid of tearing my carotids apart. So instead I tear up my face with an electric razor.

19. avro707, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

avro707 macrumors 6502a

Merkur DE safety razor, or whatever they are called.

Otherwise, I just use BIC disposable double-bladed razors. I get a huge pack of them that works out pretty cheap. They give better results than electric razors and are a lot faster to use as well.

Use a badger-brush also with some Truefitt & Hill shaving cream (Grafton is superb) and aftershave balm and all is very good. :) T&H stuff is costly but it's so much worth it. :)

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I personally use the Shick xtreme 3 blades. I think they're about $1.75/blade on Amazon. I don't mind paying for them since they last me a while, but I agree .. these prices are crazy.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll second the Gillette Sensor 3. What I won't do anymore is try the generic store brand equivalents. They're like taking a box cutter to your face. I honestly don't know who does buy those things.

I agree with everybody else in this thread: the price of replacement blades and disposables is insane.

22. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I use the Fusion ones....and it was like 10 bucks for a pack of refills.

23. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I think the key to electric razors, is that you have to be prepared to drop the big bucks on a quality one. By that, I mean dropping $300+ on one, something that I haven't been able to bring myself to do, even though I might actually save money in the long term. I have tried some of the sub-$100 electrics and found them to be huge disapointments.

For now, I generally purchase the blades in bulk from Costco or Sam's Club, but I have purchased some online from discount sites. Generally if you don't have the latest greatest model razor, you can find some good prices online.

24. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Ditto the cheap-assed Bics. With all daughters in the house they're the only ones they won't steal from me.

25. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Now I know why Steve's face is always bleeding. :p