The Expanse (SyFy Channel)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 1, 2015.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

What show was it that you liked which was canceled?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Defiance...

It was just starting to really get interesting. We waited to see if they would cancel Battlestar Galactica, thankfully they didn't and we got a nice little run out of it.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Wow, didn't realize that. I watched a season or two of it and thought it was okay. I was actually considering starting over with it recently.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Yup, we were bummed. Not the best show, but it was entertaining.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

At least that got 3 seasons, which isn't that bad given that it could have been done with after 1 or even 2 seasons. Caprica--which actually has various elements that are similar to The Expanse--didn't get beyond 1 season, neither did Stargate Universe, and I'm sure a number of other fairly good shows on SyFy (or SciFi in the earlier days), and certainly beyond (think Firefly).

7. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Caprica was the other one we really wanted to go for a few more....

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Caprica definitely ended too soon. I really enjoyed it.

SGU was another favorite that should have lived longer.

9. Huntn, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I've signed off from The Expanse. :( There are some interesting and exciting things going on in this series, but when I'm not vested in any of the characters, there is no point in continuing. I may give the book a second chance for getting into the story.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I'm going to keep with it for a while yet and see how it goes. I think it has potential to be good. I've not seen this weeks episode yet and it should be waiting for me on the DVR.

11. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I'm liking it so far. There are a few different stories going on that aren't quite connected or explained yet, but for me that's one part that's interesting in itself as it's interesting to follow a few storylines (some perhaps more interesting than others) and also to try to figure out how they might fit and see how they might as the show goes on.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I'm caught up finally on this show now too. For me its been a slight disappointment, though I never got my hopes up too high. The show has just failed to capture my intrigue and attention despite my wanting and willingness to give it a fair chance.

Now that the 2-hour season finale is over I'm considering deleting the record series option for this show from the DVR. We'll see.

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

Im up to episode 4 last night, and I'm really enjoying it.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I think I said it somewhere all ready, but the book is very enjoyable, even though the show does a better job with the visuals of space combat as compared to the book. For example when the crew is on the Donnager in the book,they are basically in the dark. They know there is a fight going on, but little is said about the tactics, until someone comes to get them and remove them from the ship.

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

How far did the show get at the end of Season One?

I'm not finished with the book and don't want to spoil anything, but when they go to Eros Station the story really takes off in the book, and it even gets better at a secret base Thoth Station. It's a good read! :)

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I just finished Leviathan Wakes upon which The Expanse is based. This was a good fast paced read. I see that Season 2 of The Expanse won't air until 2017 if this is still accurate.

I quit the show and am curious as to where Season 1 of the show left off in the story, was it resolved or a cliff hanger? I'm about to start book 2 of the series.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

After a breather, I stumbled across the Expanse on demand and wonder. I quit on the show, but I finished the first book which was pretty good. The show is organized differently than book's narrative, witnessing events on Earth that were only kind of referenced in the book. Note despite an earlier post, I have not started book 2.

What would you guys say is the final verdict for the show, worthy or no?

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I watched the whole first season and was meh on it. It's probably still on auto-record on my DVR and may just watch the next season and see if it gets any better.

19. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I thought it was OK, although I struggled a little to get into it. I came at it having read most of the books, and didn't feel the main characters were played much like those I'd imagined, but that's often the case. I thought it was strange the 1st season didn't even cover the 1st book, so will be tuning back into season 2. Not in the same league as BSG, but not bad either.

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

The first book was 100% better than the show although the show has some outstanding visuals, character development was below average. I may still go watch season one in it's entirety if I can find it on demand.

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I'm a bit perturbed that it's not available on demand via SyFi Channel via SlingTV. I watched half of season 1 when it was live, gave up on it, but then read the book, then decided I wanted to finish Season 1. Thanks for the heads up on Amazon Prime. I'll watch it there. :) It might appear on Sling Tv as Season 2 approaches.

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Thanks again for pointing me at Amazon Prime. I'm giving the show a second chance with the benefit of having read the book. I'm kinda surprised that this close to Season 2, it's not up on their app, SYFY Now, or On Demand, either via SlingTV or cable provider. :)

24. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Just finished Season One on Amazon Prime. With the benefit of having read the book, I've decided the show is worthy. :) Top notch CGI, good story. Season One finished about 2/3 into the first Book, Leviathon Wakes. I'm glad they did not rush it. Season Two is scheduled to start Feb 1.