The F-35 can't run on warm gas from a fuel tanker sat in the sun

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by orestes1984, Dec 9, 2014.

1. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Yet another list of cants from this useless piece of crap that is wasting the western worlds money, over budget, over time, over weight, and now it can't run on overly warm fuel.

Tell me why the US government killed F-22 procurements in favor of this piece of crap, I mean come on, who wants to take the cake for defending this flying piece of crap?

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-35-cant-run-on-warm-gas-from-a-fuel-truck-that-sa-1668120726
    http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/air-base-prepares-case-f-35-cant-take-hot-fuel-n264876

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I remember what a disaster the Bradley was supposed to be. And the M1 tank was going to founder in the deserts of Iraq.

No question that there's problems with the F-35, and the F-22 may have been the better choice, but I'm sure the F-35 will be ready when we have to go to war with it.

Anyway, it may be the last human piloted fighter we ever build. Drones are the future!

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Can't find it now, but I am pretty certain the F-22 had got fuel issues as well. Off to look on MPnet real quick.

4. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

There's no question in my mind either, just another stupid defense procurement like the YF-17 that lost against the F-16 but went into production anyway because the the USN and marines screwed up their budget. The F-14 was always the better plane. I simply wont understand modern US defence procurements and the ramification it has on us as Australians as US defence partners.

I would have much preferred we bought F-22s although there was a no-export veto on F-22s that even the Japanese government couldn't get around and the F-35 looks again to have won out as an inferior design once again.

You may be right about the way the US is heading in terms of defence procurements however here in Australia we've recently bought a whole new class of amphibious assault ships and F-35s. It might be a while yet before we go entirely with drones. There is still a vocal minority voice here to hang F-35bs off of our assault ships although I doubt it will get up.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Think we need a few British designers to help them out. We don't seem to have these issues lol

6. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think there's too many Indians and not enough chiefs working on the F-35 already and that is half the problem with it vs. one company making the decisions.

The F-35 project has become unwieldy primarily because of what different nations want this thing to do, and then the added bonus of having it hover so as it can replace the British harrier which turned into a disaster of it not being able to hover under its own weight hence the hydrofoil fan underneath it.

My point of view is obvious, that if they wanted a strike version of the F-22 then they should have just gone ahead and retrofitted it as such and they would have wasted less money doing so. If they wanted a bomber they should have built the FB-22.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I wish somebody had the balls to kill this piece of crap. Throwing Good money after bad...

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Just get big ice chests to put the trucks in I mean how much can it cost? Maybe they can get another plane to tow this one around in the sky? better yet strap it to unused 747's and they can drop it on the enemy.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The politicians don't care; The only money they care about is their campaign donations.

10. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm sure they'll invent an air tanker with a sunshade on top of it to justify refueling the F-35 in midair also.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

The government in the UK may have shafted engineers and heavy industry, but still some of the best engineers around.

12. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

The Eurofighter didn't seem to go through any significant issues during its development process.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Not sure if serious. How long did it take to get the Typhoon in the hands of the European air forces? :p

In any case, the F-35 is vital to the security of the US, so I do wish it would stop being treated like a cash cow and more of a national priority. Hopefully they'll never be used in war, but they should provide a deterrent.

14. TimelessOne macrumors regular

F35 show exactly what is wrong with pork spending. It is untouchable program to kill or cut back on because it is spread across nearly every state and a crap ton of district.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not "if" we have to go to war, but "when".

Pretty well sums up America's approach.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't think I'd go that far.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Yes, clear-eyed assessments and the ability to face up to unpleasant realities is part of what makes US so gosh darned Exceptional.

18. chabig macrumors 68040

Now it's clear you're not serious.

----------

And selective memory!

Eurofighter Typhoon Problems
    Manufacturing flaw halts some Eurofighter deliveries
    Austria says Eurofighter has part problem, some deliveries halted
    Eurofighter Typhoon - Demon or Lemon?
    Germany says "annoying" Eurofighter problem is being checked
    Eurofighter Typhoon: It's EVEN WORSE than we thought
    Fighter Flaws: Warplane Costs Soar amid Mismanagment

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah because the US is the most self-honest country on earth :rolleyes:.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

Tbf if its anything like the american car industry, they'll go brilliantly in a straight line, but fail miserably in corners.

21. Huntn, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's interesting for all the SCREAMing the GOP emits when it comes to fiscal responsibility, and "WASTING" money on unworthy social programs, the sky is the limit when it comes to death and destruction (national defense) even flushing BILLIONS on highly troubled technical boondogels, because they have starry eyes.

I agree this most likely will be the last manned fighter. It better be, we are going broke, can't afford to keep doing this.

22. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Hint: Around here it started as "Jäger 90" ;)

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

That's a silly comment. Go ahead, provide a source to the list of self-honest countries.

----------

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Peace is infinitely less expensive than war.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Britain and Germany for starters, with the examples being British constant self criticism, and the German response to the holocaust.