The "F" it, I'm keeping my 4s thread...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Sep 17, 2012.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I know the iP5 is a 1/2 second faster and a 1/2" larger, which will no doubt be helpful to some. I just trying to justify dropping the money on this new product. I can easily sell my 4s for $450 and end up having to pay less then $300 for the iP5, I just can't decide if it's truly worth it or not.

As far as I know there won't be any difference or perks in regards to having iOS 6 on the 4s or 5...if there is, someone please let me know.

So what's your thoughts, are you going to take the plunge or hold off for a year? Believe I'm the worst hole in my pocket spender, blow cash on things I don't need and so on, so if I'm thinking twice, there must be a lot of others thinking the same.

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

If you have to "justify" you likely should not get it!

The 4S with the new OS should be fine:)

3. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm keeping my 4S but thats due to lack of funds. I'm still really happy with my 4S although i'd love the new one :)

5. France- macrumors member

France-

Well, I have an iPhone 4, so it's a worthwhile upgrade for me.

I never really understood the need for 4S users to upgrade, since tons of the iPhone 5's features can be found on the 4S and not the 4, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

6. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Well I'm sure there are some but with over 2,000,000 iPhone 5's sold in the first 24 hours I am thinking alot of people upgraded from the 4S.

7. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

If you can sell your 4S for more money than to buy the 5, what's the downside?

8. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

im in the same boat as you.

i don't see the need to upgrade every year. there is no point in wasting the money, just upgrade every other year and save a few hundred bucks for apps, and fun nights out with the lady. :D

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Why is keeping your 4S a "F it" situation? It's a great phone, it's only one year old, and you pretty much only get the full carrier subsidy if you upgrade every two years. You also get pretty much all iOS 6 features.

I upgraded by 3GS to a 4 after one year but only because AT&T gave 3GS owners special early upgrade eligibility so the upgrade cost me basically nothing out of pocket except signing an additional year onto my contract.

Every year it seems like there are big debates about how the new phone isn't "revolutionary" enough to get owners of the previous generation to upgrade.

I don't think that Apple is seriously targeting 4S users with the 5. They would be crazy to. Rather they're targeting 3GS and 4 owners, as well as non-iPhone and non-smartphone owners.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'm sticking to my 2-year contract and keeping my 4S.

11. iRabbit macrumors 6502

If I didn't have an upgrade available on my AT&T account I'd say "F-It" too... at least until I had the upgrade. Paying full uncontracted retail is ridiculous.

However, with an upgrade and with the 4S trade-in value I got at Game Stop ($364) it was a no-brainer. I'm basically getting the phone for free, and I'm getting a bigger model than I had (32 vs 16). There was no reason NOT to.

12. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

If you can comfortably afford it I'd buy it. If not just wait until you have an upgrade or for the next iphone.

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think if you have a 4S, you are in the S upgrade cycle and if you have a 4, you are in the regular upgrade cycle. I opted not to upgrade my 15 month old 4 last year, knowing I would upgrade this year. However, there are those that "have to have it" and they can spend the extra money on upgrading. They'll probably sell their 5 next year and upgrade to the 5S, at whatever cost they have.

14. whitesand macrumors regular

If I had a 4s and wasn't eligible for upgrade I'd keep it too...Iphone 4s is still a good phone.

15. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Count me as one sticking with my 4s for time being.

I've actually owned every single iPhone version up to this point, and bought all but the original iPhone and the 4S on their respective launch days (the original because I wasn't sure to expect, the 4S because I only had a month before my upgrade date so it made sense to wait). Had plans to do the same this time around (in fact, at one point I had a preorder in place) but now I've decided against it.

The only factor that was convincing me to buy it was LTE, and in the end, I decided that it just wasn't enough. Sure, all the other improvements (the bigger screen, better camera, faster processor) are all great, and if I was still stuck on the iPhone 4 it would be a significant upgrade, but from the 4S? It's just not enough for me.

That's not to take anything away from the 5. It looks like a great phone. I just couldn't justify jumping from the 4S this time around.

Current plan is to wait until the iPhone 5, the Lumia 920, and maybe the next Nexus phone get released and do some real side by side comparison.

16. aneftp macrumors 601

Not sure. I have iphone 5 on pre order and October 5th is delivery date.

I sold my iPhone 4s 16GB to amazon trade in last month. But just picked up another one for $320 brand new with full 1 year warranty.

Seems like the "s" version of iPhones are more stable (iphone 3g had wifi/gps issues). iphone 3gs is rock solid

iPhone 4 had antenna and sensor issues. iPhone 4s fixed all of that.

So sure there are some hiccups with iPhone 5. Maybe iPhone 5S will fix whatever is wrong with iPhone 5 and add NFC chip finally.

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I'm keeping my 4s. I feel like when it comes to iPhones, it's not worth upgrading every year. Every other year seems to make more sense with price vs improvements. I had a 3G and really appreciated the 4. When I got the 4S I kind of felt like I wasted the money. I'm going to stick to the "S" updates from now on I think. Although that Lumina 920 is really intriguing and I'd like to check it out.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I'm on the 3year upgrade model

Was tempted to get a used 4s but had 2 sellers flake out on me

Mindset now is to get a new iphone once apple stops selling the phone as an option. As long as the model is being sold, I feel apple will support it

So in the past I did
    3g->4

Now it will be
    4->5s->7 etc

19. d3v1l.cr0 macrumors member

I'm sticking with the 4s as well.

Bought it on release day on eBay, payed a lot of money but it was worth it. It was my first iPhone ever.

As I live in Europe and I have to buy the unlocked version I have to pay a lot more money than people on contract in the US, so my opinion is the difference between the 4s and the 5 isn't £629 (as I would buy the 32GB version).

I don't really see a flaw in the 4s, maybe the battery a bit but then again I'm not really getting a bad battery life since I rarely use 3G (my area isn't covered with it yet). iOS6 will come to the 4s and I have no doubt it will work like a charm.

The only thing I'm missing out on the 5 is the bigger screen (LTE isn't really available in my country yet), but I'll wait for the 5s or whatever is coming next year. And also I'm not really sure how will they solve all the problems with the bigger screen and apps resolutions so it would be smart to wait and give them a years time until they solve all the problems the 5 has.

20. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Especially because if you wait and hold out for the 5S next year, you won't get nearly the same for that 4S by reselling it in 2013.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have a 4S with Verizon and I don't see anything compelling in the iPhone 5, but I am not a heavy user. I seldom use 3G data anyway.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

some, like me, are not on ATT/Verizon, etc and are with a prepaid service

So paying 300 for a subsidized ip5 and alot more in service costs isn't worth it even if we sold our old devices for more than the subsidized cost of the new phone

23. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I have a iPhone 4 so for me it's time for an upgrade. I've holding out to upgrade every two years. 3G --> 4 --> 5. I may do it yearly now that I'm buying full price/unlocked.

24. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Im holding off unless someone offers me enough to buy my 4s to cover the cancelation fees. Apple however made keeping this phone for the next year an easier decision by ensuring ios6 will work flawlessly with the 4s. Only thing I will miss out on is lte, screen size never was an issue for me so the 1/2 inch increase is meaningless.

25. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Yup; the 4S is still a good choice.

It's even getting the panorama camera utility. Check out the stats on the Apple site: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

I'm only getting the 5 since I had the 4. Upgrading to the 4S now seems like a waste :D