The FAFSA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

For my state, the FAFSA is due tomorrow. I have yet to fill it out and not sure I am going to. My wife even got a call from my daughter's school counselor about it not being filled out. She was telling her about all the scholarships that she can't apply for unless it is filled out.

My question is why is the FAFSA required for non-need based scholarships? I would understand if I were applying for government loans or grants, but for a simple one-time, $1K scholarship for a district student that is based solely on academics and extracurriculars, why do I need to fill it out.

Perhaps my cynical side thinks it is just a way to control the kids. Tell them they have to do this and they blindly comply not really questioning why. They will be good little robots later in life.

Thoughts?

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

You will be severely impacting your daughters life negatively if you do not do this. - I am a higher ed admin at a top 10 college.

3. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

When I was a senior (2007) in high school I was offered a full ride, based on academics, to my school of choice which happened to be one of the top engineering schools in the country.

I didn’t get it because my dad refused to fill out the FAFSA.

Enough said.

4. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I've heard that at some schools filling out the FAFSA is a requirement for all students, even those that know they will not benefit from it. It must help the school in some way.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2018 ---
    Quite a strong statement. Care to elaborate?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2018 ---
    That doesn't answer OP's question as to why it should be necessary.

5. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, please elaborate.

Her grandparents set up a college fund when she was born. It was added to at my father's passing so the money for her college is there.

So how will her life be negatively impacted. She will be able to go to and graduate from college with no loans. Given today's climate with students leaving school with ten's of thousands, or maybe over $100K in loans, how will this negatively impact her?

Seriously looking for answers other than "the school wants me to do it".

6. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

My parents had enough money set aside for my college education, and I have applied for no loans. I still filled it out, though, "just cause". I didn't give it much thought. But now I am curious why it's such a mandate...

7. 0007776 Suspended

I filled it it one year, realized it was no benefit to me and didn’t bother to fill it out again.

8. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

What the heck? Please explain. I’ll keep the rest of my thoughts to myself.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

School reduces the amount of merit based scholarships if student gets enough needs based scholarships first IIRC.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I always thought it’s a little ridiculous how financial aid is based on parent income. Just because a family has money doesn’t necessarily mean they will pay for their kids college.

I can’t really complain as I was fortunate enough to have generous parents who could afford my education. The cost of education is out of control though- one of the colleges I went to undergrad (and the alma mater of my brother) is now over $70,000/yr (tuition +R/B). It’s no wonder the median family income is $250k with the top 25% of students coming from families making over $6xx,000. And we never saw a penny of financial aid despite me, my brother, and my sister all being in college at the same time.

I don’t think college should be “free”. I don’t think it’s wrong for people to have to invest in their futures. But $70k a year, which is becoming more and more common with some of these upper tier institutions is crazy.

11. 0007776 Suspended

I was fortunate enough to be in the same position with parents that were both able and willing to pay. I would have been screwed if they hadn’t been willing to pay as they made too much for me to qualify for much of any aid.

12. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

That was my situation. My parents have been quite successful in real estate, but my dad was unwilling to help me pay for school. When he also refused to complete a FAFSA, disqualifying me from the full ride I was awarded for academic performance, there was nothing I could do. I ended up attending a community college in my home town while working full time to afford living expenses. Not a great situation for an 18yo trying to get an education. I strongly believe that his unwillingness to help had a significantly negative and long term impact on my life.

I suppose if the parents are willing and able to put their kids through college it’s no big deal to pass on the FAFSA. But it the parents are either unwilling or unable to provide assistance it’s really going to screw their kid over.

13. 0007776 Suspended

I thought the person going to school filled it out, and it just asked questions about your parents income. But maybe I’m remembering it wrong, it’s been awhile since I’ve dealt with it.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The FAFSA is typically used to determine parental contributions. Given a student budget which is sufficient for room and board, transportation, tuition, fees, etc., they subtract expected parental contributions. Need based scholarships and grants may be applied to the remainder.

Virtually all schools handle it this way. In some cases the amount of available aid is less if it is not file on time. Some schools also require it to be eligible for some of their own funding. In these cases the school may have their own grants which may be used to cover any shortfalls in funding after federal grants and parental contributions are applied.

15. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Even if that were the case (honestly I’m not sure), I would have needed my parents’ income information to which I didn’t have access.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/parent-info

16. 0007776 Suspended

17. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Schools cannot and will not calculate financial aid packages, including merit aid, without the FAFSA.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Agreed, my parents were wealthy enough to pay but chose not to. Puts the kids in a **** spot. One benefit is that I've started to save for my daughters education from day 1 of her birth..

19. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Not all. The school my daughter is going to offered her $12K/yr based on GPA and test scores. No FAFSA required. For my daughter the only thing she might need it for is for the local district scholarships. But I am not sure I even want her to apply for those. Her education is funded so I wouldn't want her taking away money for others who need it.

20. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

They want you to get hooked on free government money. If people don’t use it, the program gets cut. Pretty simple really.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Isn’t the FAFSA how you are enrolled in Selective Service?

I was pretty sure that’s why it’s required, or “strongly encouraged”.

EDIT: Nevermind, just looked it up. That’s not the reason.