the failing private health insurance system

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Never mind the idea of "helping others," never mind helping the po' folk...The choice isn't really between keeping things the way they are or some form of Obamacare....the way things are going more and more people are simply being pushed out of the private insurance system. The cost of employer provided private health insurance is rising well beyond the rate of inflation and beyond the rate of increase in wages. Benefits are decreasing or vanishing, and the cost squeeze is costing us jobs.

If current trends continue, a lot of middle class people can just kiss their private health insurance good-bye.

from the LA Times;

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No one said those were the choices.

3. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well in your case, that's because you live in a fantasy world where health issue don't exist or only exist to the extent that they can be cured with aspirin

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably a bit better than the government fix-all fantasy land that collapses down on your head when China won't accept anymore of our debt or heaven forbid wants to be paid back. :D

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

What are you guys talking about? I'm trying to follow but can't...

Also, if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the universal healthcare idea was getting less and less approval and that individuals wanted to keep it just the way it was. Granted, changing healthcare isn't like a light switch where it'll either stay the same or transform to Obamacare. It can be something in the middle too.

6. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

since you only see failure for everything in the future.....take 2 aspirin and don't call me in the morning.....and don't forget to pay my bill either :p

7. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

hmmm, yes....well you have to realize that zombie acorn lives in a world where nobody gets seriously sick

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Our future is indeed fairly bleak at this point. I have a few friends online who are going to be teaching me mandarin though so I should survive in the new world. :D

9. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

such a pessimist....what drives people to such despair as you exhibit?

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I watched IOUSA last night again.

11. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

alas that only proves my point about you living in a fantasy world :p

forget about the aspirin ....go straight to the anti-depressants

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't know if you've seen it but it's a pretty good movie and I don't think it's fantasy at all. Also it's not politically charged, except one part where the guy gets fired by bush.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I see that argument all the time. Yes cost is just insanely high but so have medical cost gone up.

The question that keeps getting ask and never answered is in a national health care system where is the money for it going to come from?

You have to pay for it. Also that health care cost listed by business is STILL going to cost them that much money because instead of them paying some health care company money instead low and behold they are going to pay it in taxes. The money has to come from somewhere.

Also do not forget the cost of just healthcare (not insurance) is getting out of control. I was talking to some one who works in the insurance industry and they said the price spike happened about the same time Co-pay became popular. Reason being is when people stop having to pay a percentage of everything they stopped looking at the bill. If you have to pay lets say 5% of the total cost you would look your bill over very carefully. Now lets compare it to you have to pay a 50 dollar co pay and insurance you no longer ask why text X cost $500 because you do not care. Some faceless company is paying the tab. And so on.

14. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It's not failing the for-profit health care corps or pharmaceutical companies. They're getting rich as hell.