The Falklands or Las Malvinas - YOU decide....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Feb 25, 2010.

?

Who should have the islands?

1. Argentina - the isles are in their waters and their blood

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. UK - the islanders may be British imports, but those isles are now their home

39 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. I'm with the USA - officially neutral

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. Queso macrumors G4

Nothing more than a straw poll here. Those of you outside of South America or the UK might not be getting this story, but Argentina is taking its case for sovereignty over the disputed Falkland Islands/Islas Malvinas to the UN. At a recent "everyone except the US and Canada" summit of American nations all 32 members present backed the Argentine side of the debate.

The dispute, which has been going on for a couple of centuries or so, has been brought back to the agenda after a number of oil companies were granted exploration rights by the islands' legistature in Port Stanley (Puerto Argentine).

So, bearing in mind the history, do you think that the islands should "revert" back to Argentina who never really had a permanent settlement on them anyway, or remain a hangover of a long-gone colonial past and stay with the 14000km away UK?

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Why don't the residents of the islands get to decide? Heck, maybe they'd prefer independence over belonging to either country.

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Argentina's argument is that the 3000 or so residents shouldn't really be there anyway, since they were moved there as a British colonisation effort in the 1840s after Argentina claimed the islands as its own. Britain of course counters this argument by pointing to a plaque that one of its ships left on West Falkland several decades prior to Argentina's independence from Spain, claiming the islands for Britain.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Penguin reserve on land,marine reserve for two hundred miles surrounding.Bring the Kelpers to the U.K. and make them suffer like the rest of us.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My view is that the Argentinians are only bringing this dispute to distract from problems at home :(.

I think they like being British, and there being a possibility of oil there is something that has been known for a while.

7. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

It's more than just about the islands themselves. Due to international law whoever controls them and the "dependent territories"* of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands has the resource rights to huge swathes of the South Atlantic. Even without the oil possibility that represents a massive amount of cash.

*South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands are currently uninhabited, meaning the UK cannot legally enforce maritime restrictions.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't really know what's right or wrong here. I feel for the islanders but who is to say they wouldn't be drilling for oil there themselves if they'd known or had the ability. It's still a part of the British empire so I'm guessing it's legally Britain's to pillage, rightly or wrongly. I admit I don't know all that much about this story and the history of it though.

I think it's rather dirty of America to decide to be neutral on this when America was content to bring the British into the BS oil wars and then not back Britain on the very same sticky subject.

9. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

it's the Falkland Island's government that has brought in the oil companies and who will gain the oil receipts from any profits generated. However, there has been considerable bias towards companies from the Anglosphere in who is being permitted to carry out exploration. All but one are British, the other being Australia's BHP Billiton. The argument from Buenos Aires is that the islands' legislature is illegitimate and therefore does not have the authority to issue licenses for the exploitation of Argentine resources, and that it is only the presence of 1000 British troops, an RAF base and some Royal Navy ships that maintains the illegitimate government's control over the territory.

10. djellison macrumors 68020

Take a referendum of those that actually live there.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The three thousand people or the 500,000 sheep?

12. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

+1

I recall with humor, I think it was April 1982, when Maggie Thatcher was prosecuting the war therein, I use to listen with anticipation and laugh with abandon when news announcers would refer to it as the "Falklands War," or "that Falklands War," putting deliberate emphasis upon the mispronunciation, which sounded singularly appropriate but at the time horribly offensive... the idea of the Argentinians and the Brits were actually battling it out over an island, with the sinking of the Belgrano and the HMS Sheffield has the air of a Premier League pitch scrimmage rather than a violent war to outside observers!

13. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

See post #7. It's more about control of maritime resources than some forsaken windswept sheep pasture.

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

How did Britain gain control of the islands in the first place? If it was legal war and they won then they are Britains.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

+1. I don't know enough to decide either way (I voted neutral in the poll) but I think the best option is to let the people who live there decide. Argentina, Britain or neither?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

17. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

It goes something like this.

They were originally a French colony, with Britain claiming the uninhabited West Falkland. Then the French left and the Spanish moved into Port Louis, the old French settlement on East Falkland. However, when the River Plate colonies (the forerunners of Uruguay, Bolivia and Argentina) revolted from Spain the Spanish left. The next few years saw a number of different temporary settlements set up by whalers and the like, before an Argentine colony was commissioned. Unfortunately that eventually descended into piracy and they got turfed out by the US Navy, at which point Britain decided to press their earlier claim and founded Stanley, Darwin and Fitzroy on East Falkland. The islands have been administered as a British territory ever since, either directly or as a British Overseas Territory as today.

Prior to the French there were no inhabitants.

18. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Best thing,hopefully the others will fail as well.

20. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Sounds like things were pretty chaotic until the British came in. I'd say they're British.

21. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I heard of the 1982 Falklands War. Out of the 2 nations I dislike Argentina more because of Peron. So routing for UK.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Peron's been dead since 1974, so it seems like a rather strange reason to still dislike a country.

23. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I say give Argentina back to the Incas and send the Hispanics back to Spain!

24. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Just give the residents a referendum with three choices.
    • Continue as a part of Britain
    • Become part of Argentina
    • Be independent
    Formal self-determination will put an end to it.

25. codymac, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

codymac macrumors 6502

The US (*cough* Puerto Rico) should remain neutral.