The far-right smear campaign against students who survived the Parkland massacre

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 20, 2018.

1. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

And cnn is known for staged interviews and witnesses. He’s well known on social media.

CDEF184B-7394-409A-987D-B47D3A44DA65.jpeg

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Can people for the love of god stop using kids to further politicize an issue.

4. ThisBougieLife, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So the kids shouldn't have a right to appear in interviews if they want to? This is a political issue. If they want to talk about the issue and its political relevance, more power to them. Believe it or not, kids have some agency. I was not incapable of independent thought when I was 17. The assumption that these kids are being forced or used or given scripts is just a way of delegitimizing what they're saying. It's a way of exonerating onesself, i.e. "I don't have to take them seriously".

Not surprised the Right is bringing out their "crisis actor" conspiracy BS that they do after every mass shooting. Denying reality makes it more palatable. The kings of denying reality are just doing what they do best. It's possible that eventually mass shootings will become so frequent and so deadly that there can't be anymore denial, but I won't hold my breath.

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

As long as it’s real I don’t have a problem. But if there is a pattern of interviewers that are used for fake news to gain the network numbers and or for political issues. Then that’s a problem. (Not saying this kid is not a actual survivor) time will tell.

6. Lloydbm41, Feb 20, 2018

Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

It's not fake news. The shooting did occur and people died. What is fake, is having this 'professional' interviewee being pranced around. Trying to use a kid to further an agenda is complete b.s. and shame on CNN! Assuming that is what is happening? If he was there, then that is a different story and shame on the right wing conspiracy nuts for using him to politicise their goal to promote guns and smear him

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I watched the Sunday morning talk shows, one kid struck me as reading from a teleprompter.

Nothing wrong with reading from a teleprompter, so long as it's the message you want to convey, but if someone else is feeding you scripted words for a political goal, you're a politician and you are going to be subject to political ridicule.

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'm not sure why him appearing in a local newscast in L.A. the previous year means he's a "professional interviewee". It might come as shock to some of you (brace yourselves for this) but people can travel in airplanes to other states. I've actually done it before! Now it's also perfectly believable that this kid does like being "involved" and likes the idea of being heard on the news. It doesn't mean he's making up his experiences or isn't sincere about his opinions.

Where is the evidence that he wasn't a student at Parkland? These conspiracy theories are all the same.

9. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

Because it's easier to whine about this and distract people from the real issue rather than accepting the tragedy at face value and actually doing something about it other than sitting on their hands. In other words, it's easier to spark the rumor mill about kids or this one, like Alex Jones or any other crackpot/crackhead does.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

"The worst luck" includes taping an "altercation" between his friend and a lifeguard arguing about putting a surfboard on a trash can at the beach? Clearly the local news had nothing better to report.

The crazies will say crazy things. It's amazing how some people think that individuals cannot do evil, only government entities or shadowy organizations- and everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes just bad things happen. I pay no attention to their nonsense, and neither should the victims of the school shooting.

12. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Point out where I believed it? Especially the part I said time will tell. Giving the child the benefit of the doubt. Obviously after research it’s false. I’m not a conspiracy theorist. Never have been. Maybe you should backpedal with calling me “sick”

13. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Here you go:

14. mudslag, Feb 20, 2018

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

15. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I wonder if there is a person out there (Any person) that could survive a tragic event and live to tell about it without being torn to shreds by political groups with ultimatums? What would it take? It seems no one is off limits.

I could see a little girl surviving an attack giving a news conference from her hospital bed and she would still be attacked. People have no limits. We really have lost our way.

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Just so we're clear on this, are you now saying you believe your post is not accurate? If so, why do you leave it up? Cause be leaving it up it suggests you do find it accurate, unless of course you're referring to something else as being false.

17. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Here you go:

--- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2018 ---
    I posted how the kid is getting popular on social media. The attachment was an example of that. As far as cnn, look at my post above.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So, two young people who are rejecting the tide of cynicism and apathy and actually engaging in the political system are attacked by nutters who don't know them, who make stories about the kids being professional actors up, and who attack at least one of the kid's parents (who served in the Navy and FBI). The far right really are unhinged, and I wonder how many of the conspiracy stories come from Russian trolls given how tawdry they are.

Yes one of the kids look very polished and the other looks emotional. So what? Both of those young people may well be on their way to a career in politics, lobbying or political activism. Shock! Horror!

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

That's neither "fake" nor "staged." It says right on the screen that they are both in Phoenix. TV news shows do that all the time (have two people in close proximity shot with different cameras).

20. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Honestly man, what other reason could you have for posting that other than parroting a site (infowars and brietbart are two of the front runners in this repeated story that comes up after every shooting, they ran this narrative for MONTHS after Sandy Hook) that runs with this disgusting “crisis actor” narrative or to spread FUD on your own behind the throwaway “time will tell”.

That qualifier is so close to the technique of “more research” is needed that tobacco and oil use I can’t help but think you’re *inadvertently* carrying water for the interests that want nothing done on this topic.

21. hulugu, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

An Instagram post from someone using an old joke about the U.S. Marine Corps. Well, there's a source.

Meanwhile, apparently David Hogg was interviewed by a local media station and then months later, after his family moved to Florida, this shooting happened.

That proves nothing and it illustrates how pernicious the idea of "crisis actors" is.

It's a coincidence, but right-wing blogs and conspiracy theorists will continue to push this idea.

And, here's the thing, following the shooting in Tucson, the same liars trotted out the idea that everything was fake. I watched helicopters carry people to trauma centers, spoke to heartbroken police officers and EMTs. I went to the daily updates by the trauma surgeons, talked to nurses and doctors. Years later, those who were wounded still walk on canes, and the families still cry when their loved ones are mentioned.

The people who trot out the idea that this shooting was faked are liars. They are charlatans who didn't look down as the asphalt and concrete and see the blood stains. They are ********ters who pick at vague ideas with Google and threaten the families of the dead and wounded.

They can go to hell.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    I would also place in the "left" in setting unrealistic political expectations. Both sides are using them for political means.
    It would be better to find out what they really think and let them know the reality when it comes to effecting political change. Listen to them. Don't use them.

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Oh please, one post on a social media site does not in anyway reflect how popular someone is. You posted that with the attempt to make a connection that it was staged using a single post on social media as an example. If your goal was to show an example of a staged event, the video above would have been fine but instead you post a suggested conspiracy.