The FBI Blinks...they may have found a way into terrorist's iPhone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dwfaust, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Stories all over twitter that the government has moved to vacate the FBI vs Apple hearing tomorrow...

2. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

I read that. They claim to have found a way in to the iPhone themselves.

3. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

One report said (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) that it appears the NSA stopped making fun of the FBI and may actually have offered to help crack the phone. We may never know what happened.

4. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/21/technology/doj-apple-hearing/index.html

"On the eve of a court showdown with Apple, the Department of Justice wants to cancel the hearing, saying it may have found a way into the iPhone of Syed Farook, the gunman in the San Bernardino shooting.

The DOJ has been pressuring Apple for help in gaining access to Farook's iPhone.

But in a court filing on Monday, the DOJ said it may no longer need Apple.
    "On Sunday, March 20, 2016, an outside party demonstrated to the FBI a possible method for unlocking Farook's iPhone. If the method is viable, it should eliminate the need for the assistance from Apple Inc."

Federal investigators want to see what data is available on the iPhone, but it is permanently locked. They can't try to guess the passcode, because if its self-destruct feature is turned on, it will erase its key after 10 incorrect passcode attempts.

The FBI wants Apple to create special software that will let it bypass the phone's security protocols so it can try endless password combinations.

A judge in February ruled Apple must comply with the government's request, and the DOJ and Apple were due back before that judge on Tuesday after a month of legal briefings.

Apple (AAPL, Tech30) has been fighting that order. Its central argument: Removing the security protection in this case would create a "backdoor" that could potentially allow the government or hackers break into similar iPhones."

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Any phones outside of Apple's internal controlled labs would not get an okay from Apple's signing server, and thus could not load even a leaked version.

6. 1458279 Suspended

There's an argument that if the FBI can get into the iPhone, they shouldn't have said anything.
    1st, they just told the world that they can't trust the iPhone so they'll look for something else.

2nd, they might be bluffing because they don't want the issue to go to court. If they think they'll lose, they'll wait until more violence happens or the court changes. The value of the data may be lost because the terrorist know who's been in contact with him.

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Apple probably gave them a way in.

The FBI and Apple did the dance for a few weeks, Apple looks tough by standing up to the Feds, people feel safe using iPhones again, Apple secretly gives the Feds what they need to access the terrorist scumbags iPhone, and the FBI drops the order and pretends to have gained their own access.

End of story.

8. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Whatever you're smoking, please pass it around … that's some awesome weed.

9. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Why is this not a plausible theory?

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

First off, already a thread on this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-hearing-with-apple-update-postponed.1962485/

Second, your "theory" has nothing plausible to it, because it sounds more conspiratorial than anything. You have and there is no evidence validating anything that you have stated, and goes completely contrary to Cook's own words that he said this morning.

So until the contrary is shown, your theory is not only unproven and unfounded, but totally bung.

Third, there is already a major plausible theory mentioned in that thread, as pointed out by @MuscleNerd:

https://marcan.st/2016/03/untangling-ios-pin-code-security/

Seeing that his bona fides is more credible than yours, I'd be more inclined to believe him.

BL.

11. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I don't believe that Apple "gave them a way in" to the phone. Apple has worked with law enforcement on this and other phones, but apart from turning over the iCloud backup data and advising, I absolutely doubt that Apple even had a way in, let alone gave it to the Feds.

I suspect the NSA got involved, perhaps enlisted hackers and found something that MIGHT work. But my money is on Apple not being involved at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.