The FIFA corruption scandal.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, May 28, 2015.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So I don't see this posted anywhere, or really know the inner workings of the federation but I gather it has been corrupt for decades.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ceedings-in-2018-22-world-cup-votes/27997933/

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I have to ask myself why it took the United States Justice Department to finally take legal action against FIFA corruption.

People in Europe, where FIFA is headquartered, and where soccer (football) is a way of life have known for decades how utterly corrupt and crooked some of the officials running it were. But I guess they have different standards of what is worth prosecuting.

Europe can prosecute players like John Terry and Luis Suarez for muttering racist comments during a game. But Sepp Blatter and his band of merry millionaires can pick the pocket of every fútbol fan from Birmingham to Barcelona with impunity.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Unfortunately, you are absolutely right.

Occasionally, in the broad sheet newspapers, one might trip over or come across an intelligent and well sourced story which discussed this matter.

However, much of the time, there was annoyance from many of those involved in running, reporting on, or professionally discussing soccer that such silly (and boring) financial stuff was detracting from enjoyment of - or being able to focus (solely) on - 'the beautiful game'.

Re the story itself, not before time.

Regrettably, soccer is such big business that it seems to me that there has been an extraordinary reluctance to address what is assumed to have been (and as vrDrew rightly remarks - known or strongly suspected for decades) gaping black hole of corrosive corruption at the core of FIFA for decades.

Well, better late than never. And better incomplete than no investigation at all. Still, how Mr Blatter can think he ought to remain in his post unchallenged - and without being compelled to resign - is something of a mystery to me.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Federation that watches over millionaires playing with ball ...

5. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Putin came out in support of Blatter . . . I can think of no greater stinging indictment than that. :/

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not sure I'd call that 'a stinging indictment'. Rather, to my mind, it is more likely that it is taking the form of returning a favour.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Can someone explain to me how the US has jurisdiction to arrest people in another country from an organization based in Europe? Curious.

Also, glad this happened. Really ruins the perception of a great sport.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It involves officials in the US.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The US has two main legal grounds: Firstly, the indicted FIFA executives frequently met and discussed their schemes in the US. They also arranged for the illegal payments to be wired to the banks, which typically transferred through New York's electronic clearing houses,

Secondly, the US has its far-reaching RICO laws. Which basically allow the prosecution of people for knowingly participating in an on-going criminal enterprise. They may not have been physically present at each and every incident of law-breaking (just as a Mafia Don isn't actually there when they murder an informant or torch a warehouse) - but because they knew of and planned the crimes - they can be held responsible.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Pretty embarrassing we didn't sort this years ago to be honest. It was pretty blatant.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well done to the USA and the FBI this is something that had to be done.

This had to be done by an outside agency, the major problem was that football was to close to many of the political elite. There was also the fear that if anybody spoke out against Blatter, the FIFA would retaliate, no world cup for the foreseeable future.
    UEFA was totally a toothless more interested in defending it's own power than protecting football from corruption.

FIFA has been dealt a mortal blow, but the war is not won.

If there is this much money and no transparency, corruption always is a danger.

12. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is exactly the point that needs to be stressed; that, and the protection afforded to the corrupt by virtue of the fact that soccer was so popular and profitable that it might have been difficult to argue the case for a thorough investigation, followed by root and branch reform.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think the English or Germans can possibly win hosting a world cup under the current system as they aren't corrupt enough, and the Spanish are too poor really. So between those three I think they could challenge the status quo given they have the world's top three leagues.

Qatar winning over the United States was farcical, as was the English only getting two votes (although the non-corrupt people might have preferred Belgium/Netherlands or Spain/Portugal)

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It was this win that finally made people believe that there really was corruption on a large scale. Russia at least was a football country, but Qatar, in temperatures above 40 C it was obvious that it had been bought.

But the chances that Blatter is chosen tomorrow are good, the third world football federations idolise him.:eek:
    There are 200 football federations I know more than the number of nation in the UN. That was always Blatters strength.:(

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

germany hosted it only 9 years ago, under the current system.
    the US also already hosted it recently, and england's stock for 2022 was penalized by the cup already being assigned to russia in 2018, so unlikely it would be approved twice in a row in europe.

that is not to say it wasn't a corrupt process, or that the choice of qatar wasn't absurd, because it was and it was, but the decision process is complex and alway very political.

i think eventually they'll move it away form qatar, most likely to england. australia could also be a valid alternative (or australia/new zealand, though i sincerely hope they do not go that way)

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

England was standing for 2018.

----------

And Germany only just won by a single vote, Blatter preferred South Africa - who apparently paid a bunch of bribes in 2010.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

But England has had it in 1966, the fact that it was Russia, could be still seen as a fair vote.

Russia is a footballing nation.

----------

But that was seen as a very good thing by many many people brining football to Africa.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think FIFA - as an organization needs to go away. Its stated goals (pardon the pun) in promoting worldwide football; youth leagues; international competition; etc. - are laudable. And - bribery and corruption notwithstanding - its still done a better job than, for instance, Formula One motor racing.

A big part of the problem is that for most of modern European history Switzerland provided a very comfortable; secretive; and secure place for wealthy individuals and organizations to keep their money and conduct their business.

That was OK, maybe, in the days of steamships and telegraph cables. But as first the Nazis, and later on drugs barons and billionaire tax cheats have shown - bank secrecy of the type practiced in Geneva and Bern was an open invitation to criminal activity.

I give the Swiss some credit (another unintended pun) for finally - and somewhat begrudgingly - acceding to the demands of the US Justice Department and Revenue Service to force their banks to play by the same disclosure rules as other countries.

But I think it is upon the member nations and football associations of FIFA itself to demand change. It shouldn't be impossible, in this day and age, to institute the sort of good governance practices that make rampant bribery and corruption much, much harder to keep secret for so long.

20. Don't panic, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015

Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

ok, I stand correct about england, although russia could be seen as a legit choice since they never hosted, it is a large nation with tons of football fans, their national team and clubs do well, they invest ton of money in football (including other nation's) and have political will and infrastructures. the problem there is politics and logistics.
    i am inclined to believe that corruption did play a (possibly large) part, but they could have won on merits, Qatar i doubt.

the fact that germany hosted, however, shows that either you do not necessarily need to be corrupt, or everyone is (including the germans)

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think you really don't understand how deep these problems go in some nations of the world, politics and football are the same. Switzerland is funnily enough just home base for Blatter, the problem was that Blatter corrupted the ethics of FIFA.

Once he had control well that was it. He kept control by inviting every country in the world to join FIFA. More than 200 of them, most of them have no interest in football but it's a well paid position, once every 4-5 years they vote for Blatter.

----------

I agree, I don't think for a minute that Putin plays fair, the the argument that Russia is automatically guilty of bribery is not made, QATAR is just so laughable that it's a pain to watch.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Even by European standards, the Swiss are particularly corrupt and venal.

Those Swiss rats wouldn't fight in WWII; however, they willfully and knowingly banked Nazi gold.

They have a giant vault filled with gold teeth yanked from corpses at Auschwitz and Treblinka. I'm pretty sure they splash around in there, like Scrooge McDuck.

Swiss motto: "Money has no smell."

**** you, you cheese-making money-grubbers.

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

But is it not also true that the US corporations sold goods to NAZI Germany up until 1941?

Or doesn't the money smell if it's in a US bank?

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Wow, you just won the non sequitur of the year award!

Say, the Netherlands sold dubbel zoute drop to the occupying Nazi regiments. That continued even after you curried favor with the SS by giving them Anne Frank.

But we don't hold that against you.

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Let me know when that Chip on your shoulder gets to heavy?:D