The file transfer rate between my MBP(late2009) and External is extremely slow!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tuamtuem, Jul 13, 2010.

1. tuamtuem macrumors member

I am wondering why my MBP takes about 7-8 mins to copy 700 mb files from the external (Seagate FreeAgent pro 500 Gb) and of course, it takes about 1 hour to copy 7 Gb files.

However, this problem has occurred only copying file from external to my MBP, the transfer rate is fine when copying files from MBP to external :mad:

Note : I've already repair the disk by using disk utilities, but it doesn't help me at all.

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is the external USB powered? Might be that it's not getting enough power, thus the slowdown. Try another USB port or computer, MBP is infamous about its poorly powered USB ports

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think the FreeAgent Pro is a 7200 desktop drive. So that shouldn't be the source of the problem. And when have MBP USB ports been under powered? They need to be at least 500mA to charge an iPhone and my eyeTV runs on USB power and it also needs that much.

You say it's slow when it's copying TO your MBP. How full is your MBP hard drive?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've seen several threads about the second USB in MBP not being able to power a 2.5" ext HD. 500mA is the maximum output of USB 2.0 and some HDs need more than that. Anyway, if it's desktop drive as it seems to be, it doesn't matter, it can't be USB powered.

5. tuamtuem thread starter macrumors member

First of all, the FreeAgent's connected to its own power adaptor, so it doesn't need the power from MBP.

Secondly, there are plenty of space in MBP (more than 90 Gb) because I've just formatted it and installed fresh OSX.

Does this problem relate to account permission?

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Try checking the System Profiler and see what speed device is actually operating at. 'Hardware/USB' section, click on the name of the device and you should see a section for "Speed:" in the pane below.