The fingerprint reader is only used to unlock the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surjavarman, Sep 10, 2013.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Is the fingerprint reader only used to unlock the phone and to make purchases? That seems pretty gimmicky to me.

Or are there any new features planned for in the future? I don't think its worth upgrading if you already own the iphone 5. A 4-digit passcode does the same thing and is just as secure.

2. ehfz macrumors member

There is an API for developers to use it. I would really like to see banking apps take advantage of it because my banking passwords are way more complex and I never want to type them in on my iphone keypad so I dont' end up using banking apps at all...

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Hasn't the opposite been confirmed?

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Right now there isn't, it's just for what the OP posted.

This is exactly what I expected to happen. Apple could certainly use it for more but they are taking baby steps with it. They are going to slowly add more to it as time goes on. I didn't expect it to be a sweeping change to do everything at once. Next year I see it being integrated with key chain. Simply using it to unlock the phone will increase security dramatically as most people I know don't use a pin because it's annoying typing in so many times a day. For me this a a bigger release than Siri was with the 4S.

5. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

You can only use it to unlock the iPhone and buy Apps from the App Store, no more inputting your password!

6. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Unlocking the phone is the most minor use of the fingerprint scanner. it can also be used in place of passwords which will be great, and for payments apps. I work in IT payments architecture and there is a lot of interest and excitement in using the fingerprint scanner with whatever payment software you use. i expect it to be a big deal. There is in fact an iOS library api to integrate apps with the fingerprint scanner.
    I guarantee you ever credit card out there will integrate with it and many more apps besides. it solves a lot of problem for various forms of electric payments.

7. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I think they said the fingerprint scanner could be used for Apple Store purchases, as well. Rather than typing in a password to make a new purchase form the App Store or the iTunes store - just swipe your finger.

I suspect Apple will open this up to additional uses in time.

8. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

And for government tracking purposes of course...:rolleyes:

9. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

It's not sent. Man if you are as important as you think for the NSA, I'm impressed. Otherwise wtf

10. Ritte macrumors regular

I was looking forward to the fingerprint scanner because I use 1password frequently.

If it's only for lockscreen + apple-id, it's a little bit of "meh"..

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

It eliminates the pass code and swipe. Pretty slick.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Your 4 digit unlock pass code does NOT allow you to make purchases, you have to enter your iTunes password.

While entering that is not overly inconvenient, it is annoying and the touch of the home button will be a welcomed convenience....assuming it works properly every time anyway.

13. user-name-here macrumors 65816

^this^

Instead of:

1) Press home button
    2) Slide to unlock
    3) Input password
    4) Phone unlocks

Now I simply:
    1) Press home button, get fingerprint scanned instantaneously, and phone unlocks

Faster and much less annoying :)

Plus once iCloud Keychain gets integrated so I can simply press the home button to log into websites (instead of having to remember a zillion random character passwords) the sky is the limit!

14. atteligibility macrumors regular

- Unlock the phone is the most operation people do with their phone. Whatever app you use, place a phone call or whatever, you always have to unlock the phone. My guess is that I unlock my phone hundreds of time every day. Now, without a fingerprint scanner, unlocking a phone hundreds of times a day means either:
    ~ enter a password hundreds times a day, usually simple enough for it to enter fast, most people use a PIN: not secure
    ~ give up on using a password: definitely not secure or private
    ~ or have a strong password and take 5 seconds every time to enter it, more if you have a typo... now it's secure but not user friendly. Sadly, a lot of companies force their employees to do that on their work iPhone.

The scanner is the equivalent of having a string password setup on your phone and unlocking it in a split second, I wouldn't call that a gimmick, makes a huge difference for some users.

- The scanner is also used instead of iTunes password when downloading apps. If you do that a lot, that s also much more convenient than having to type an (hopefully) secure password.

I definitely welcome this addition, I am also really hoping they open it up to third party eventually. This, in conjunction with passbook or ibeacon, could be very big

15. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

There is no way a 4 digit passcode (that someone can guess, or that someone can watch you type in from a distance, etc) is anywhere near as secure as your fingerprint. Not even in the same ballpark.

And for those of us that are using the more complex passcode option, this is a huge blessing. No longer will I have to type in 6 characters followed by 'ok' to get into my phone.

And, don't discount the purchases benefit. Having to type in a complex password every time you go to make a purchase sucks. Many times I've been in my car, listening to pandora or itunes radio, heard a song I want to purchase, tap the 'purchase' button, only to be stymied by then having to type in a complex password that involves SHIFT and going through both alternate keyboards -- can't really do that while driving. Even while not driving, just being able to tap your finger to make the purchase is so smooth.

16. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Apple said the finger print info will be stored on the A7 chip and not be uploaded onto iCloud or Apple servers. Unless that's what they wanted to tell me and they're doing the opposite :eek:

17. rjkgr macrumors regular

im so excited for the fingerprint that what sold me to getting the new iphone :cool::cool::cool: