The first 24 hours with my new uMBP 15-inch - Whine Free

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacAndy74, Jul 9, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

... and I'm loving it to bits! :) It's as I've expected it - flawless, unlike all the threads I read here before buying - full of Whine. :rolleyes:

1) Got the 500GB 5400RPM Drive - it's silent, no clunk / beep or lengthy spin ups - very fast to boot and load Apps.

2) Battery life - on factory charge, I used the uMBP from 5:30PM to 10:30PM with AirPort on, doing updates and transferring data. When I went to shut down the uMBP at just after 10:30PM it still had 38% battery power remaining.

3) Bluetooth. Connected Apple Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse first time. No lag, no phantom disconnections (even after the uMBP had entered and exited sleep).

4) LED Backlit Panel - vivid, clear and sharp. No odd fluorescent colors etc.

So there's my very quick but honest review, free of whine. Really glad I purchased the 15-inch uMBP - it's happy shiny :)

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Its about time, feel free to go slap all the other whiners

3. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Funny too. The whine threads attract so many replies but where there is no whine - there is no reply. Well, almost - thanks for posting mikes70mustang :cool:

4. hamish5178 macrumors member

I thought you were going to say that your HDD was quiet!

Too used to the whining I guess, , ,

5. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

The HDD is totally quiet, can't actually hear it working - but like magic things load and appear just as soon as I click on them - so I guess the HDD is working ;)

I also transferred over 15.3GB of data from my external 500GB LaCie Rugged to my uMBP in :confused: I think it was 5 minutes - I was blown away with the performance of Firewire 800. :cool:

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I got a new MBP too, same performance...works great love it, no problems

7. blackwind macrumors regular

MacAndy74 Care to share abit of info u got there? Such:
    How much and Where you buy it from? and what the spec for the baby?

By the way my name is andy as well, and also from Melb. Looking to buy one of the macbook pro (unibody). probably when i get my tax return.

THanks

*Edit: sorry my bad ur sig said it all, but price?

8. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

:) Ah well, the spec's are in my signature. I purchased mine at the Online Store - Australia (with Educational Pricing). And it actually arrived 1 day early by TNT Express First Class. Plus, I also ordered the Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse and Keyboard (without number pad) - works brilliantly!

Great to hear from you too Andy - I'm actually in Adelaide ;) always happy to help where I can.

Edit: I paid about AUD $3700 for the spec you see in my sig, with Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse and Keyboard & Apple Care..

9. KapilNarain macrumors newbie

Bluetooth. Connected Apple Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse :p

10. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

... and here's my setup :) Really pleased!

Also, got OS X 10.5.7 Media with my MBP.

Attached Files:

11. kolax macrumors G3

Nice setup, though I found the more I got used to doing trackpad gestures, the less I could actually use a mouse. Things like Expose, Show Desktop, 4 Finger Horizontal Swipe, 3 Finger Swipe for going back and fourth in Safari etc.

12. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

:) Thanks! I have started using trackpad gestures - very cool.

13. o2xygen macrumors regular

+1

14. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Lucky you. I was sent a turkey and am in the process of sending it back. :rolleyes:

15. WareWolf macrumors member

Dude this thread should have a sticky. I am also looking to buy this laptop and while researching some info on it all i come across is people saying "My macbook pro overheats", "The HDD clicks and beebps" , "My systems freezez" making it seem like if im gonna by my macbook pro tommorow it will crash and die on me as soon as i press the power button.

Im glad to see that atleast someone is posting how he is satisfied with his system, none of all this "my system overheated yesterday by 5 celcius"
    "sigh"

Glad for you man hope my laptop will be as good as yours

16. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought I'd brighten up the forum from the usual doom / gloom / FUD :)

On another note I have panel information to add to this thread:

Manufacturer: 00000610
    Model: 00009CA4
    Manufacture Date: C6438480

Not really sure what the brand and manufacturer translates to, but it's an amazing panel.

17. maestrocasa macrumors regular

I've got the same machine (but a smaller HD) and love it. I wasn't sure about the mirror glossy screen (I've always been a matte guy) but I love the screen and am hooked on multi-touch trackpad.

Thanks for starting a rave thread.

18. WareWolf macrumors member

BTW which model did you get is it the late 2008 or the new one that was released in june?

19. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Yes God forbid people post their Macbook problems in the hope of gathering solutions. :rolleyes:

20. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

AFAIK it's the latest - or June 2009 MBP :cool:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.48f2

Genuine problems, I can understand. But some of the threads here are post-numptuous*, some even worse.

*Word I invented, sort of.. Origin of the word.

21. WareWolf macrumors member

Weird the one im looking for is almost the same but the only difference is its 2.8ghz, the rest is the rest is the same 500gb HDD 512mb grphics card ...

Was it custom build to order?
    Where did you buy it from apple store, amazon, UK,US??

22. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ordered from the Australian Online Apple Store. I'm sure it's available for US customers too. It's the middle MBP but with an upgraded HDD, also my 9600M GT has 256MB Memory and not 512MB. At a resolution of 1440x900 you won't come close to using 256MB Memory let alone 512MB :) even when playing games.

23. WareWolf macrumors member

As MacAndy said, if its a genuine problem i dont have a problem about it but most of the stuff i see is some rediculous overexadurated thing like "oh my mac is crazy hot, it was 45 degrees yesterday and after an update today it is 46 degrees shouldi return it back to apple?"

24. WareWolf macrumors member

The more memory the better :p im planning on installing sims3 and maybe starcraft 2 when it comes out and want my mac to be able to pull em off lol