The First Cities To Be Nuked

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/terrorism-war/the-first-cities-to-be-nuked/

After all of the military command and control centers have been nuked, have you ever wondered which cities would be nuked first? You probably have not, because it is an unpleasant thought, and is something that most people believe would never happen. At one time between Russia and the United States alone, there were more than 20,000 nuclear warheads.

Not that long ago during the years of the Cuban missile crisis, every American feared the worst while the U.S. and the USSR were seemingly ready to end the world as we know it… Since then, stockpiles have been reduced somewhat, but in the big picture it is mostly irrelevant. If anything, the world is more dangerous today as apparently radical nations add their own nuclear weapons to the world’s nuclear arsenal.

Here is a mapped illustration of the top 30 most populated cities (and metro areas) in the United States which could potentially ‘go’ first in a nuclear war…
dang, I am in the blast area :(
yes it's a blog, don't care what clown you are voting for so let's not make it about who can get us nuked. the internet is serious stuff I tell you.

so I can take the 15 fwy out but I am not sure how much time I have after the nuke hits.

full size map

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/terrorism-war/the-first-cities-to-be-nuked/

dang, I am in the blast area :(
yes it's a blog, don't care what clown you are voting for so let's not make it about who can get us nuked. the internet is serious stuff I tell you.

so I can take the 15 fwy out but I am not sure how much time I have after the nuke hits.

full size map
Of course you live in the "blast area". 128 million people do. And if a few million people in one of those target zones decamped en masse to Alaska, maybe there would be a yellow dot around Anchorage.

The survivalist fantasy relies on the myth that the city is a uniquely dangerous place, a "target rich environment" where we're not supposed to be. What better way to reinforce that perception than by hypothesizing that by becoming a top-30 MSA, the community has become a target for some "planner" who likes to kill people instead of targeting military installations such as Ellsworth AFB, or Minot AFB, or any of the numerous other military installations in flyover country.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
can you please play along for once?

I mean you are a mole just trying to get me to stay and die aren't you? :mad:
Just dig a hole and get in it. You'll be fine.

I'm good as long as that crap doesn't drift up the 15 like everything else does.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yeah no body is going nuke us.
I'm inclined to agree although Trump has 22 days to make a deal with some rogue to try to light up the rest of the GOP before he sheds the last veil and shows us his tiny hands clasping an m-80 firecracker he plans personally to toss into Paul Ryan's trashcans out back of his House. What a mensch, The Donald, he will surely be missed. By cartoonists.

As you pointed out, you're citing a blog. Further, it's a survivalist blog that seems to have been written by people living in a constant bubble of oh man oh man the terror the terror what to do, stock up, dig deep.

But okay I'll play. I guess I wouldn't sit around playing "On the Beach" on my laptop. Looks like New Brunswick would still be a good place to hang out for awhile until the wind brought the bad news. Probably some traffic up through Maine...

Could just stay here a bit past the edge of the NY MSA kill zone and eat the winter pantry? Yeah, eat the salmon first, save the canned beans for the survivalists who came through looking for something better than whatever freeze-dried camp rations they had stashed away all these years. Or should I share the salmon? I usually have a few gallons of bottled water sitting around since our village water gets a busted main now and then. So they could at least mix up their mixupable packets of whatever. I could finally try that curried thing people say is not that bad.

I dunno man, why can't we just all get along instead. Seems simpler.

Reactions: jkcerda

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The map is BS. Hawaii would be the first hit.
It's not like it's a sane thing to start a nuclear war with a superpower so you could be right.

Why would they not go for broke though; Hawaii doesn't really seem spectacular enough, but it could be a pragmatic target for its accessibility. Also, we were surprised once in Pearl Harbor, so maybe we're not all that sleepy out there any more.

May as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb, so a striker could opt for LA or NY, Chicago, Miami.... and then throw everything else they had anywhere at all, since next there'd be ours heading in to obliterate them.

Really we have to hope for the planet that some rogue doesn't manage to get a big one off to a metro area anywhere in any country. The possibilities for a misunderstanding by superpowers could be pretty high in the minutes after such an event.

Reactions: jkcerda

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
That's one thing I hat about living in NYC. We are the #1 target.
When I lived in the city I figured ok well I'd probably never know what hit me. Seemed good as opposed to being here about 160 miles away and sure to get poisoned by it and go the hard way. I can't figure out why people in the city think they could get in the car and go someplace anyway, like if you lived out on the island someplace. Hell, stay home, break out the good chocolate...

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
It's not like it's a sane thing to start a nuclear war with a superpower so you could be right.

Why would they not go for broke though; Hawaii doesn't really seem spectacular enough, but it could be a pragmatic target for its accessibility. Also, we were surprised once in Pearl Harbor, so maybe we're not all that sleepy out there any more.

May as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb, so a striker could opt for LA or NY, Chicago, Miami.... and then throw everything else they had anywhere at all, since next there'd be ours heading in to obliterate them.

Really we have to hope for the planet that some rogue doesn't manage to get a big one off to a metro area anywhere in any country. The possibilities for a misunderstanding by superpowers could be pretty high in the minutes after such an event.
I'm not hoping it happens but Pearl is a huge naval asset to the US in the Pacific. It would be crippling to lose it.

Reactions: LizKat

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
North Country (way upstate NY)

PACOM and the Pacific fleet Hawaii would go quick. If they hit there, SOCAL, and Va our Navy would cease to exist in any real sense. That's where I would aim first since they project the power.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Poor Alaska ... no one bothered putting it on a small square on the map. So either it's the first to be destroyed completely, and thus not on the map; or it's already destroyed by Sarah Palin and we have a fictitious 49th state; or it's too beautiful to be destroyed and our enemies have a heart.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Poor Alaska ... no one bothered putting it on a small square on the map. So either it's the first to be destroyed completely, and thus not on the map; or it's already destroyed by Sarah Palin and we have a fictitious 49th state; or it's too beautiful to be destroyed and our enemies have a heart.
Sarah Palin is so damn hot.