The first Democratic candidate has entered the 2020 presidential election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jul 30, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...e-has-entered-the-2020-presidential/23054589/

Wow, that's pretty early, but I guess when you are dealing with a President who takes up all the oxygen in the room, you have to start early. Especially when you are someone that most people haven't heard of. I know that I didn't and I am pretty tuned in to politics. Looking forward to learning more about him.

I have a feeling that there are going to be so many people in the next presidential election. Tons of D's, tons of R's, tons of greens, libertarians and independents. So many people to wade through.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He won't end up going anywhere, but I do think that people declaring this early is a sign that the Democrats will have a very crowded field. Since the Democrats don't have as many winner take all primaries set up to rig it for an early front runner like the GOP had it also means there is a good chance that the nomination will come down to the superdelegates deciding at the convention.

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Maybe maybe not. Depends who else is in the race I guess. But yeah, quite likely he will get lost in the shuffle in a field of many candidates. I wonder if Trump will start tweeting about him now? That could raise his profile.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It's good PR to step up as the first one, I mean, its reported everywhere. Also, as he states himself, it takes time to get known.

Use up all the oxygen in the room? I am not sure that Trumps brain is receiving all the oxygen needed, so it's something else removing that specific gas.. :p

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

people's choice being completely irrelevant...........again..

6. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

They should run Hillary again, it's her turn and third time is a charm.

7. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, no and no.

Hell no.

The bigger question is will the Republicans run Trump again? It's working so well. :oops:

8. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I'm 90% sure that he won't run, he is unlikely to finish a 4 year term since he's hated by the establishment of both parties.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

too early to tell, goad him and prop him up again and he will.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If (if!) Trump is still president comes 2020, doesn't he get to be the uncontested candidate?
    Or can the Republican party put forward another candidate?

11. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

A president can always have primary challengers from their own party. The numbers are usually small or even zero because the president is usually seen as competent and not divisive within their own party. That isn't the case this time around, so anything's possible.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they can but it's rare to challenge those already in office.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Thanks! Every time I visit MacRumors I learn a little more of US politics…
    :)

14. zin macrumors 6502

It'll be Trump vs. a Clinton/Obama lackey. The insiders selected Tom Perez to head the party, so it doesn't matter who runs. They've already chosen who will be the nominee and they'll make use of rigging and super delegates to make it a done deal, just like last time.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Hillary got more primary votes than anyone else, so the people's choice was chosen the last time around.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I know it's superficial, but with this much anti-Washington hostility around the country, a politician who represents Maryland is not going to go very far, even if his policies are good.

Ideally the next Democratic candidate would be one of the states' governors -- but the Democratic party is a little thin in that area right now.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Dnc cheated so you can't really claim people knew what they were voting for

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I know it is hard for you to process since your love for Trump blinds you to everything else, but people who bothered to take the time to look into the candidates knew what they were voting for and Clinton still won the primaries.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not legitimately imho. Glad she lost :D

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Arguing on the internet is pointless, but since I'm bored, I'm pretty sure that no one who you disagree with could win legitimately in your opinion.

21. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's funny, he just cannot accept that Bernie was not as popular even though he too has thrown him under the bus. So conflicted! :D

22. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Right, that one debate question Hillary got ahead of time decided everything :rolleyes:
    Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of her, but democratic primary voters simply put preferred her to Bernie.

23. zin macrumors 6502

WITHOUT the cheating who knows who would've won?

DNC and Clinton campaign colluded to fix the number of debates, a record low. DNC/Clinton campaign/press all colluded by planting stories against the Sanders campaign and forwarding questions to debates to Clinton. And not to mention the DNC working to sabotage the Sanders campaign by using moles, planting protesters, and funnelling money through the legally questionable Hillary Victory Fund, intended for local Democratic candidates, but suspiciously almost all of the money ended up at the Clinton campaign.

No way of knowing if their cheating and collusion swayed the primaries.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

running your post through my bannable material analyzer app.... :eek:

Well, I think we should give Sanders, O'Malley, Chafee, Webb, Lessig another shot if they want to go again. On the last four: "Guys, we hardly knew ye." They withdrew even before the primaries. Don't think there will be so much of that next time. I am still sorry O'Malley dropped out. Always go with the rock musician.

25. Technarchy, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017

Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy