The First Ever First Person Shooter

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
377
0
Im 15, and ive been gaming since the days of N64, and my favorite game was james bond goldeneye. And i was wondering, what were some of the first shooting games to be in the first person view? and if u were a gamer then, how much did the new view and gameplay blow you away???
 

Schmittroth

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
199
0
NYC, Astoria-Queens
thechris69 said:
Im 15, and ive been gaming since the days of N64, and my favorite game was james bond goldeneye. And i was wondering, what were some of the first shooting games to be in the first person view? and if u were a gamer then, how much did the new view and gameplay blow you away???
The first one I ever saw was Wolfenstein 3d. I was in junior high (I think) that would put it around 1990/91. This was also one first games where you didn't see the 'bullet'. You shot and the target reacted and vice versa. No slow moving glowing balls ala Contra.
 

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
718
0
Burlington, VT
yup, wolfenstine was the first, however it wasnt the first 3D FPS, I believe that was Quake 2, correct m if I'm wrong, that was at least the first Big one
 

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
170
0
kingcrowing said:
yup, wolfenstine was the first,
No, it wasn't. I'm going to have to say Battlezone as well.

EDIT: Wikipedia says Tail Gunner (1979) was first, Battlezone was second and came a year later.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Lazyhound said:
No, it wasn't. I'm going to have to say Battlezone as well.

EDIT: Wikipedia says Tail Gunner (1979) was first, Battlezone was second and came a year later.
I don't remember seeing Tail Gunner, but I played Battlezone a lot. Atari's vector processing technology for Battlezone and Asteroids was incredible at the time. The images were so well-defined.

Seeing the wikipedia page brought back a lot of memories. I played Star Raiders and Rescue on Fractalus on the Atari 800. There was also The Last Starfighter, which was released as Star Raiders II, due to marketing restrictions as well as a waning gaming market.

I don't really remember a FPS where u were walking, most everything was from above (Temple of Apshai, Castle Wolfeinstein) or a side scroller.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
bousozoku said:
There was also The Last Starfighter, which was released as Star Raiders II, due to marketing restrictions as well as a waning gaming market.
Didn't this game use the numeric keypad, that hardly any Atari games used? I so remember that.

Mmmm, okay, blast from the past Atari 2600... there was this game where you were some kind of adventurer in an alternate world. And you had to do all these different challenge rooms that were based on different elements of the zodiac, to get home, I think? And you collected pieces of some sort of puzzle. And it was way too hard and esoteric for me to solve when I was ... maybe nine. :( Similar conceptual feel to the Indiana Jones Atari 2600 game, but all based on this zodiac concept.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
mkrishnan said:
Didn't this game use the numeric keypad, that hardly any Atari games used? I so remember that.

Mmmm, okay, blast from the past Atari 2600... there was this game where you were some kind of adventurer in an alternate world. And you had to do all these different challenge rooms that were based on different elements of the zodiac, to get home, I think? And you collected pieces of some sort of puzzle. And it was way too hard and esoteric for me to solve when I was ... maybe nine. :( Similar conceptual feel to the Indiana Jones Atari 2600 game, but all based on this zodiac concept.
Games on the Atari 5200 (an Atari 800 computer without the keyboard) used a numeric keypad on each controller, as did those on the Jaguar, but there were no games using a numeric keypad and I don't know of anyone who owned the keypads.

Whether Star Raiders II was available on the 5200, I don't know.
 

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
760
0
Outer-Roa
kingcrowing said:
yup, wolfenstine was the first, however it wasnt the first 3D FPS, I believe that was Quake 2, correct m if I'm wrong, that was at least the first Big one
Umm, even if you were remotely right, which you are not, I imagine Quake might have come before Quake 2.

Don't ya think?

Just possibly?

¿Qué?

:cool:
 

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
760
0
Outer-Roa
Lazyhound said:
He may not have been aware Quake was 3D.
Well that raises an interesting semantic issue, regarding the distinction between 3D and FPS, because most of those early games used a LOT of 2D sprites and textures to simulate 3D as they couldn't render everything on the fly.

Marathon being a good example, lots of 2D sprites seen from multiple angles.

But the OP was asking about FPS, which do not need to be fully truly utterly 3D to qualify I assume, just employ a FP viewpoint?…:confused:
 

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
170
0
bousozoku said:
Sure, The Last Starfighter wasn't released under that name but the code lived with revisions as Star Raiders II for the computers and was released on ROM cartridge.
I meant the Atari 5200 version specifically.

mvc said:
Well that raises an interesting semantic issue, regarding the distinction between 3D and FPS, because most of those early games used a LOT of 2D sprites and textures to simulate 3D as they couldn't render everything on the fly.
Those are usually referred to as 2.5D.

But the OP was asking about FPS, which do not need to be fully truly utterly 3D to qualify I assume, just employ a FP viewpoint?…:confused:
Yup.
 

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,302
4
The first one I remember was Faceball for the Gameboy. It blew me away how you were in a maze, could only see what your character saw, etc. I should go back and play it.
 

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
569
0
Ohio
Sharewaredemon said:
Custer's Revenge.
Baaaaaaaahahaha. Oh, it hurts...

Well-played chap.



Also, whoever said 'Time Killers' (I'm assuming that's what you meant to say) or any other modern FPS game - should go and beat themselves with a hammer. That is all.
 

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
874
1
Berkeley, California
either marathon or wolfenstein 3D... not sure which. Did Wolfenstein 3D have an actual 3D engine? cause I know that marathon was actually layers of 2D or something like that, hence the fact that different levels of a map could not overlap...
 

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
2,406
357
Lazyhound said:
Those are usually referred to as 2.5D.
No, the use of sprites doesn't really have anything to do with 2.5D games. The "2.5D" refers to games like Doom and Wolfenstein3D and Duke Nukem and Marathon, because they use raycasting techniques instead of full 3D polygons. The maps are actually flat, as you can see by the use of overhead map views in all those games. (Although Marathon is a little more tricky.)

It's quite possible to use sprites in a fully 3D environment, like the first Wing Commander for example.

--Eric