The food we eat are killing us, and FDA is slow to react.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jun 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The food we eat are killing us, and FDA is slow to react.

Too slowly we are realizing ultra processed foods are poisonous, but the effort to change policy are slow.

But more alarming is some food additives are behind banned as carcinogens in other countries, but not the USA.

Sodium Nitrates in meat is considered health risk

There is a foaming agent used to make fluffier bread. Banned elsewhere but in the US.

Then there is King Sugar and its tale.

A know cause of lack of change is food industry wanting to keep the status quo

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The cur rant administration has been busy cutting back on the FDA. And just about every other safety and watchdog agency.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

As bad as it has gotten under this administration, it’s just the decades long continuation of the regulator being captured by the industry it’s supposed to keep in line. The FDA is a perfect example of the “revolving door” at work (like the FCC).

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, this seems obvious. Take Gluten intolerance for example: If it was an age-old genetic component those lines would've died out Centuries ago. Its only in the last 20-30 years that many of these dietary maladies have popped up - and it's obviously from processing.

5. upandown macrumors 6502a

The FDA has zero power to do anything even if they weren’t bought and controlled by meat and food companies. All they can do is give recommendations. It’s really quite ridiculous. These conglomerates are so powerful they can sue you for saying anything negative. (Online) It’s been this way for many years. Our taxes to run this part of the government is a complete waste.

6. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

What about free market, buyer beware, and big government is the problem? Every person should get the skills to be versed in every field of knowledge such as finance, law, medicine, and every branch of science and engineering. Then we wouldn't need an EPA, FDA or consumer protection agencies.

7. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

Because we'd like it to actually happen.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Food is just another arm of big business. The American business ethos is thou shalt screw over people to the maximum extent practical in pursuit of profit. Stupidity and ignorance are valuable resources that keep our economy thriving. Until that can be changed somehow, we will continue to see innocent malfeasance on the party of the food industry, along with all other economic sectors, and the ethos will continue to percolate downward, saturating common folk with the same sort of me-first attitude.

9. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

The FDA (and other western diet promoting agencies worldwide) is run by people with vested interests.

Since i've gone ultra-low carb (Jan 1st) i have lost 20kg (with basically no change in exercise) and feel great. I am eating plenty* of fat and protein.

Sugar is as addictive as crack, carbs are basically sugar too as far as your metabolism is concerned and both cause your body to spike insulin production which de-sensitises you to insulin over a long period of time and then guess what?

Hello type 2 diabetes!

My moods are more stable, my energy levels are more consistent, my sleep is better.

Eliminating sugar and cutting carbs is the best thing i have ever done, health and fitness wise.

edit:
    by "plenty". i eat when i am hungry. i am focused on protein for satiating my hunger and small amounts of fat for energy. but i have enough of that to lose for energy for a while yet :D

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

But you can't buy Kinder Surprise eggs in the US. So they are doing something......... :(

11. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

We don’t need no ****ing regulations, but it seems we do. These efforts are purely for corporate profits. The level of human irresponsibility is mind boggling when it comes to $$$, and it’s someone else paying for your greed.

12. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

I'm undecided on this issue. I have heard Milton Friedman talk about the downside of such an organization, to which there is some merit. I tend to lean liberal(classical)/libertarian like Friedman, however in this case, i'm not sure which alternative is better in the long run.

Here's the argument Milton Friedman made...

13. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

What, exactly, did you expect from such a large and bloated bureaucracy?

Even in emergent situations, such as Hurricane Katrina and Harvey, FEMA was slow to respond.

So, what is an acceptable timetable for FDA to implement changed to suit your concerns?

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

There has been a lot of hysteria around food and food additives lately, largely caused by a misinterpretation of data.

For example, nitrates are added to meats as preservatives to prevent growth of harmful bacteria. The USDA limits the amount of nitrate preservatives that can be added to food and there’s actually some evidence to suggest these limits are higher than needed. The majority of nitrates in one’s diet actually comes naturally from vegetables. In high doses, nitrates can be harmful, acting as a toxin against one’s gut bacteria. The research that demonstrates this however is in lab animals at extremely high concentrations. Most substances at a high enough level are toxic. At reasonable level nitrates are broken down naturally in the stomach. Additionally, most processed foods contain vitamin c, antioxidants and other substances that promote conversion to benign nitric oxide.

That said, there’s many reasons why processed meats are not healthy and like most things, should be consumed in moderation. Eating crap all day not surprisingly will have negative health effects. I think the overwhelming majority of people know what foods are healthy and what foods are not. Many however ignore this and consume poor diets.

I encourage people to be wary of sensational articles and realize most of these X is poisonous studies and articles are done in animals in concentrations well in excess of what a person would naturally consume. Vox, like many other media sources, repeatedly publishes misleading and alarmist articles regarding health topics.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Regarding King Sugar, the Fat is Bad for you, eat sugar instead conspiracy! :mad:

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You forgot corn syrup and artificial sweeteners (which might not be so healthy after all). This is one of the reasons why people in the UK do not want to be flooded with American food in any US-UK post-Brexit trade deal. Its bad enough that the Scots consume deep-fried Mars bars and deep-fried pizza. I am not making this up (see link and link, respectively). :eek:
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2019 ---
    As somebody who studies the neuroscience of reward, this statement is hyperbole (see for instance link).

17. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

If there is nothing being done, that is unacceptable.

OTOH, not expecting an overnight change.

Nitrates itself is naturally occurring.
    The focus is on Sodium Nitrates and Sodium Nitrites, and yes produces are inclined to use excessive amounts to speed up meat curing.

Statistics are proving more and more ultra-processed foods are highly detrimental (one of links), and while the cause is not certain the effects are.

While a single sensational article needs to skepticism, a number of them with very similar conclusions is something to be heeded.

18. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Anything with a lot of sugar is bad and processed meats are also very bad. Americans on the other hand love sandwiches and quite often them sandwiches contain processed meats :eek: Europeans love processed meats too which is not healthy either.

19. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Primary education, another massive failure.
    In theory that sounds great, but in practice for key aspects (like food and medicine) Free Market fails.
    The very early days of rail roads and oil prove how easy it is monopolize a commodity at expense of all, making a very few incredibly wealthy (and continues today with likes of FaceBook and such).

Trying to prove that something is harmful takes enormous effort and expense to counter not just the producer but inform the public about risks/dangers.

20. throAU, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019

throAU macrumors 603

throAU

I'd say even processed meat is better than sugar or grains (carbs). Unless it really is the lowest of the low it will at least include a reasonable amount of protein and protein is something i would wager nearly everybody following the typical western diet is rather short of.

If you only do one diet related thing to try and get fitter, i'd suggest focusing on meeting your protein requirement (go calculate it, start measuring and be shocked how short of it you are) every day.

Once you do that (and starting out it seems difficult due to the amount of "filling" food you need to eat) you're not really hungry enough to go eating massive amounts of anything else. If you're meeting your protein goal by eating meat, (unless you're picking very lean cuts) you'll likely get enough fat for energy from that too.

Salmon is great.

edit:
    for example, when i calculated my protein requirement and started measuring, i was getting about 50-75% of what i really needed. Symptoms of that: being sore for much longer after exercise. Anecdotally - since meeting it i have not been sick in 6 months. It is currently winter here.

21. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

LOL. My kids love these, mostly for the crappy toys they can build.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2019 ---

Gimme some sweet Monsanto corn!

22. villicodelirant Suspended

villicodelirant

That's absolutely kosher.
    And delicious.

Source: am Italian.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

And deadly. :(

24. villicodelirant Suspended

villicodelirant

25. trillionaire macrumors regular

trillionaire

Just one of the methods through which we are being exterminated. Don't think this is limited to the US though, it's a global problem.