the foxcon plant maybe not so great.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 9, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

looks like a boondoggle in the making. eye they only have to empty 10% local workers what deal.
    http://fox6now.com/2017/08/08/well-...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

only 25 years to get the taxes from them what could possibly change in the tech world in 25 years???

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I don't recall "him" being involved in the negotiations.
    It was their asshat governor that made the deal.

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm sure Mexico would be more than happy to take the plant. Maybe we can move all our agriculture down there as well and then Mexico would gladly pay for the wall. Isn't that all we really want?

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

He sure likes to take credit for though. Can't have it both ways.

7. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

The US war on globalization will be an economic Vietnam except the fallout will be on our own soil.

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

The best deals. The hugest deals. Only the hugeliest biggest of the best. Bigly.

9. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

10. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Is the deal a good one? It looks like few American jobs and a huge bill to the taxpayers. Trump seems to think huge tax bills for a few jobs is an acceptable thing. Foxconn has done it before. No we need to stop giving a company huge incentives for very little.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Let's be clear - Foxconn doesn't care about US jobs. Not one bit. They care only about profits flowing out of the US back to their Taiwanese owners.

If all the states agreed to not negotiate against each other in offering Foxconn tax breaks, but rather all collectively refused to offer any special tax breaks or exceptions, would Foxconn still open a factory in the US? If not, then screw Foxconn, taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing their profits. If yes, it means Foxconn can compete in the US without needing any special gifts from the tax payers, and thus US-owner and -operator factories should be able to do the same, and we don't need Foxconn to begin with.

I'm all for manufacturing jobs in the US, and I do try to buy US-made stuff whenever practical, but I am not for subsidizing foreign businesses to set up those factories here.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

I think the deal is short sighted.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well - can you blame the USA for not wanting everything to be full-global? Nothing wrong with collaborating with other nations and such for mutual benefit. Thats good business. But, simply sending all work to some 3rd world dump at the expense of US citizens is awful and short sighted. The USA was built on good medium level jobs and far too many of them are gone. I cal that bad. I know the Open-Borders-Forever Globalists love all that outsourced labor but it really sucks. making other countries rich at our expense is bad. Period.

14. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

He certainly took credit for it.
    I quote: "If I didn’t get elected, [Gou] definitely would not be spending $10 billion"

15. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

It really sucks < Profit

16. eatrains macrumors regular

Jobs programs are really just welfare programs with names that conservatives can stomach.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Look at how much Wisconsin will pay for Foxx to build the plant?
    What is very, very common is companies set up shop in location with several decade tax break, and when it expires they find a new location offering a big tax break.

And then look at where most of the money goes (I am guessing this will be final assembly, the pricey, very high profit core parts imported)

This deal needs a LOT of deeeep scrutiny.

[​IMG]

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

This deal is horrible and even Trump himself would not enter into a deal with such a ridiculous amount of break even time. Incentives are fine but this is ridiculous.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Then why is "he" taking the credit ?

20. Zenithal Suspended

I'd say they've still got cheddar cheese going for them but even that's been challenged.

21. HEK Suspended

HEK

Wait.....didn't he take the credit. I seem to remember the Donald taking credit for everything.

22. linuxcooldude, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

He creates the opportunities to bring big business in, its up to the locals to do the rest. If they settled for a crappy deal, they only have themselves to blame.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

Using the graphic above, Wisconsin would be paying $200-300 million per year to a company to have 13,000 assembly jobs. That amounts to Wisconsin paying $11,500-$23,000 per year to the company to pay workers more than likely minimum wage or close to it. That's the state paying the company to operate. That's straight up corporate welfare. Why not just give the money straight to the people and leave e a foreign company out of it?

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree - its one thing to incentivize things for a business to move to your area. Thats smart since the jobs will generate taxes via retail sales, homes, etc, etc. But simply pissing money away like this for what may NOT be that many truly good paying jobs is lame.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Because Republicans don't like hand outs? ;)