The Freedom To Pollute

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Name of the company responsible for the spill in the West Virginia's Elk River: Freedom Industries. When a business wraps themselves in a patriotic name you can all most imagine that means they strive for a higher standard ... apparently not hard enough. :mad:

Apparently they had no EPA mandate secondary barrier.

I saw no other post here on this subject and searched, did I miss it?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That company should be hung out to dry on the people's vine and be sued to kingdom come.

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Don't worry, they'll just do what most oil companies do during a spill, weasel out of paying any type of cleanup, and leave the community and taxpayer to clean up the mess and rebuild everything.

That's Real American Free Market Jebus Freedom!

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Freedom Industries didn't even bother to report the leak. Residents began phoning in complaints of an unusual odor at 8:15 a.m., but the state Dept. of Environmental Protection (DEP) workers didn't arrive on the scene until about 11 a.m. They were initially told by Freedom Industries officials that there was no problem at the facility. Soon after the DEP officials asked to have a look around the plant, and started making their way around it, company official then admitted they had a problem on their hands.

You have to wonder if no one from DEP had shown up if the company would have even bothered to report the incident.

Excerpts below, from the WV Gazette article on the leak:

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

And, of course, this will turn into, "Where was the EPA? Why weren't they keeping tabs on FI? We are wasting taxpayer dollars on an agency that is not fulfilling its charter! We should just get rid of the EPA altogether. Freedom."

6. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

"Freedom" Industries has Koch written all over it.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Basically, the leak in W.Va is following the same script as the explosion in West, Tex.

A dearth of inspections (apparently the W.Va. facility operated for more than a decade without an inspection) allows a rapacious company to ignore safety protocols until something awful happens.

The company apologizes. No one gets sent to jail.

And meanwhile, the in case of W.Va. we see that there's a complete lack of information about the chemical, a 'detergent" used during coal processing.

As Deborah Blum pointed out in Wired's Elemental blog:

There's 7,500 gallons of this stuff in the Elk River and yet the EPA, nor any other agency or group, has a firm grasp on what this stuff will do to people or the environment over the long term.

Of course, we could update the Toxic Substances Control Act to reflect this, but such a change would most likely fail in Congress over partisan bickering.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Source?

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

As reported:

Freedom Industries is the distributor for coal reagents made by Georgia-Pacific, a company owned by Koch Industries.

It's pretty thin. However, as the W.Va. Gazette noted, Americans for Prosperity (a PAC heavily funded by the Koch brothers) has connections to Freedom Industries and the PAC has even opened a water station in Charleston.

Moreover, Americans for Prosperity has fought hard against new regulations.

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Actually, Freedom Industries was co-founded by a two-time convicted felon, Carl Lemley Kennedy II. Most West Virginians likely remember Kennedy as being the personal cocaine dealer for the mayor of the state's largest city and its capital.

Below, brief quotes from the WV Gazette article, Freedom executive Kennedy had felonies:

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

12. localoid, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The chemical that leaked is used to clean coal via the use of slurry ponds found throughout Appalachia. "Traditional tales" from the locals claim that coal slurry ponds make a great place to dispose of a dead body, as most identifying features will disappear within a few weeks, but who knows if that's true or not...?

According to one AP story:

Locals have been bitching about the potential dangers of run off from the coal slurry ponds for decades. Two-headed fish have occasionally been found in streams near such areas in years past...

But such is life in West Virginia, "home of crooked roads, and crooked politicians". As long as the coal barons make money, nothing else matters.

Precisely! ;)

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

You guys would (maybe) be surprised at some people's feelings on pollution.

In response to someone suggesting reducing coal power plants because of the pollution they create, this was a response on another forum:

And there are people out there with a minimum of brain cells who listen to people like this and believe them. And the people who say stuff like this seem to end up in positions where people hear them more, leading to a populace of completely misinformed people.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually I'm not surprised... :(

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Some people are ridiculously illogical or uneducated. Then there are some that I think are simply disingenuous. It should be obvious that the concern is a shift in balance, not that CO2 exists. Humans are said to require oxygen, yet we wouldn't want to inhale pure oxygen. You also wouldn't want to inhale ozone in spite of its composition being one of oxygen atoms.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, it's easy to solve. Ask them to stick their head next to a tailpipe. If they refuse, they understand the idea of pollution.

If they do it, well, you can't convince everyone.

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Better yet, lock them in a garage with a running car for a few hours, then they'll see how harmless it is to everyone ;)

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You're right not to be surprised, considering...

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Shrink, given your age (not being disrespectful, you've just seen much more in your day than I), what is your view on the effectiveness of American PR in the last 30 years (meaning mid 80's) from before?

From my studies it seems we shifted from rally behind your country no matter what, to you can't trust anyone so try not to think about it and everything will work out.

Your thoughts?

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fresh off their moral bankruptcy, Freedom Industries has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304419104579326840913801408.html

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure how I would react to seeing someone do that.

That may not work as well with modern cars and fuel as it did in old movies. I'm referring to the fumes themselves, not the possibility that the room may run out of oxygen.

22. Shrink, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It's not disrespectful, it's the truth...I'm OLD!:(

Your question is an interesting one but, to be honest, I haven't given it sufficient consideration to comment. The effectiveness of PR is an empirical question, and perhaps more informally one can assess it's effectiveness by noting whether the PR seems to effect the behavior of a large percentage of the population.

Sorry, I know I haven't directly addressed your question...better for me to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.:D

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And thats why I like you Shrink, you'd rather be reasonable than spout out something you haven't thought through. :eek:

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

A modern society needs energy.

I applaud companies that take big money risks so lights work and cars move. Make tons of money too. Well done. Create jobs, pay taxes, innovate.

However...

Cut corners, pollute, destroy, act irresponsibly and the people that get hurt should be able to sue your ass for hundreds of millions, and you get no bailout, no perks, no shelters. Pay or your entire executive team does 20 years in federal prison and get your property seized.