The French are at it again ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Meister, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Meister, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

Meister Suspended

Meister

2. unlinked, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

unlinked macrumors 6502a

I find it kinda tedious the way people try to generderise everything.

I'm pretty sure

- men can be models
    - men can be too skinny and have eating disorders
    - men are covered by this law

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's been shown that stick models are unhealthy and unhappy,. It's been shown that regular people who look like that frequently suffer from eating disorders, and models provide unrealistic role models for the general populace. I can't agree with "severe punishment as I have no idea what that would entail, but human "sticks" should be discouraged.

4. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Who genderised?

----------

Obviously?

----------

It's about banning the depiction of thin people by law.

It's ****ing perposterous.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That is excessive as there are better ways to approach it, I think.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm positive he was referring to the article. It mentions women several times.

7. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Women is said 14 times in the article. 6th most common word, between is and in.

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The photo of the three models used to illustrate the article: does anyone think any of them look unhealthily skinny?

Re gender, male fashion models are lean but are hugely unlikely to fall below any stipulated BMI figure.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is getting to that most dangerous of all questions.

When your partner turns to you and asks “Do these jeans make my ass look big”?:p:D:p:D

10. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Man have more muscle tissue than women, women have more fat tissue. Muscle weighs more than fat. The way the BMI is defined, man can almost not have a BMI that is too low.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's why we have body fat percentages to fall back on. If you dip below a certain threshold, you should deeply consider eating a few sandwiches, lest you risk organ failure, and disruptions to normal bodily functions.

12. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

That is out of the question, but passing a law against thin people is still something only crazy people would come up with.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    While I think the law is a little overkill, it isn't aimed at slender, but otherwise healthy looking people. We're talking "I can measure your pulse and blood pressure by looking at your neck" type thin.

Anorexic, or nearly so, in other words.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Why not? Many are punished for how they think. Or how others perceive that they think. At least the scrawny model is definitivly guilty. Same as a law would be for the morbidly obese.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think the sentiment is good and certainly important, but I don't believe in legally mandating models must have a certain BMI. Personally I'd suggest a different means. I'm not sure what that would be off the top of my head, but discriminating models seems wrong.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

Is the idea not to try and tackle the use of size zero models etc?

17. caesarp macrumors 6502a

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

On air travel.:cool:

19. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

No. From the all you can eat. And from the beach, of course :mad:

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed with this. The truth of the matter is, BMI is only a useful measure for those living a sedentary or entirely cardio lifestyle. If you eat a healthy amount of protein and lift weights, your healthy choices hurt your BMI.

21. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Indeed. It is amied at the industry, that THEY get punished, if they use anorexic models. Not the models themselves will be punished.

At the current stage normal models will hunger to get super thin and get a job. After the law anorexic models will eat to get a job. Why is that harsh?

(Though I find that BMI is certainly not a good measure, I guess from a medical standpoint there would be more to look for and weigh in).

22. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

It's not harsh, it's ****ing stupid.
    It's discrimination by law against thin people and another unnecessary regulation of the free market. It's none of your ****ing business who wants to pay who to run around in clothes or not.

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That answer is again, a perfect example of a person who spends his time in a classroom with books.

In the real world, with actual people, society needs rules and laws to function.

These rules and laws are decided by elected officials, they are enforced by a judicial system based on the rule of law.

24. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

And laws are restricted by basic human rights, like the right to free speech and the right to choose ones profession. These Frenchmen are clearly trying to violate those fundamental principles.

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That sounds like the same bizarre arguments as was used when, Anti Smoking, Seat belt and Drink driving legislation was passed.

Meanwhile back in the real world.

I for one would love to see a Fashion house try to use the International Court of Human Rights to force women to become Size Zero models.