The french - here we go again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Meister, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/29/french-muslim-skirt-ban_n_7170140.html

Religious freedom french style. :p

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The French take their secularism pretty serious. I believe that all religious accouterments are forbidden in French public schools.

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

Does that zero tolerance policy include Yarmulkes and Crosses?

4. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Could you imagine the outrage if the article would of read like that ^...

5. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I have a whole bunch of problems with this:

Who defines what 'religious clothes' are? A black skirt is religious? Says who?

Secularism doesn't mean to forbid religion. It merely means that the state has to be impartial towards all religions. Banning people from practicing their religion in a way that does not affect others (e.g. clothes) basically means that France is not secular. It's an atheist state that has no regards for freedom of speech, unless it's bashing all religions, except atheism.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yes, apparently it does, from what I've been reading. It bans any "ostentatious" (or perhaps better - "conspicuous") clothing or 'garb' that shows your affiliation to any religion while you are in a French school. Large crosses and Yarmulkes are included apparently. The Huffington Post article linked above says that the issue is not the skirt itself - but that the student specifically wore it to show her affiliation to her faith - an act that is specifically banned by the law.
    According to the Huff article - the student did.
    France does not forbid the practice of religion. It forbids the conspicuous display of religion inside its schools by children.

7. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

That's called freedom of expression and it's a basic human right, but appearantely not in France.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Human Rights are a 'fiction' created and widely accepted by societies of humans. Different Societies (American vs French in this case) will have different ideas on "basic human rights". In any case - any particular human right allowed to an individual always has some sort of limitation on it. Freedom of Speech doesn't allow you to yell "Fire" in a theatre. Freedom Expression doesn't allow depictions of pedophilia. etc etc

In the US this French law would almost certainly be struck down of course. Different societies - different ideas about human rights. Conversely, Europeans (including the French) take a much stronger stance to protect an individuals personal privacy. For the French it is a basic human right that you control your personal information - and in the US, not so much.

The French law that prohibits school children and teachers from wearing conspicuous religious clothing and symbols while on school grounds is a fairly minor restriction. Personally, I would argue against it should it be proposed in my own province - but I'm not in France dealing with issues that are specific to French society.