The Fundamental Hypocrisy of Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The UK government response to the Holyrood's vote to request from the UK government permission to stage a new Scottish independence referendum in 2019:

We’ve worked together, we’ve prospered together, we’ve fought wars together, and we have a bright future. At this crucial time we should be working together, not pulling apart.”

The irony of this coming from the mouths of Brexiteers is staggering, and their foolishness will cost the UK dearly in the long run. It's fitting that the breakup of the UK could stem from the latest (and last) attempt to revive the long-lost Empire.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think Scotland should wait and see how Brexit works before turning their country over to nationalists who are only interested in power rather than their own people. If the EU collapses in a few years time as many are predicting, where does that leave Scotland? Does the UK then help them out?

This whole independence saga is becoming very boring now and I hope they get what they want. If the vote was opened up I would help.

3. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Seeing your username @Lord Blackadder has given me hope there is yet one good thing that can come of the Brexit tragedy - more material for a new Blackadder. The rest of Brexit is, and always will be, poppycock.

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

When the 1st referendum failed it meant very little as allmost nothing would have changed with both Scotland and ShatteredKingdom staying in the EU.

If done now and Scotland (re)joining the EU while the rest does a hard brexit you'd suddenly have a real border where that had been just a line on the maps for centuries.

5. niploteksi macrumors regular

I foresee a closer knit EU after the 2 years are up. Or the populist take over and Europe goes up in flames once more. All to the wild cheers and champagne popping by the US and Russia! Sad! My bet is a fifty fifty chance :)

Or, England leave the EU and everything is business as usual. Merchandise becomes a little more expensive and banking moves to Frankfurt. No big deal.

6. VulchR, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The ironic thing is that May seems to think that stalling IndyRef2 will decrease the likelihood of Scottish independence, but if the vote were today it would be exactly the same outcome as the first referendum. The patronising tone that May has taken, along with a reluctance to actually talk to people in Scotland in person, isn't going down well.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The current influx of investment in the uk has been encouraging despite being a remainer myself. The company I work for are Dutch and they are relocating certain areas to the UK in readiness for Brexit. I don't think banking is moving abroad just yet despite the Facebook memes suggesting otherwise either.

8. cube macrumors G5

I think Scotland has said they will wait until the deal is known to hold the referendum, but before Brexit enters in effect.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I personally think if it is passed it should be held ASAP, not wait and see if a deal is better for them after all. The SNP are convinced they are stronger alone and in the EU and this whole debacle should be decided by the end of the summer IMO.

10. cube macrumors G5

I think everybody except the Brexiteers expect the deal to be worse than membership, so waiting might win it for the SNP.

11. niploteksi macrumors regular

I'm not saying bank's office spaces will empty out. But I genuinely think the negotiations will be a disaster and we will all be feeling it. Well, not "all".

Personally, I'm neither disappointed or surprised to see the UK leave the EU. I don't think the UK has anything to offer Europe other than the trade on the single market and the UK has always been a big baby about the EU.

Maybe the EU will break, who knows. I think it would be a damn shame if it did and a spit in the eye on everyone who died in the last world war. The way the western world is going the last bastion of decency will be Germany.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Scotland will lose whichever way if that is the case. They can either be part of a larger, stronger economy or they can broker their own deals with the EU. It's not going to be back to the way it was before even if they choose that route. Their economy is tiny and with no currency of their own they will be forced to take the Euro. They couldn't keep the pound of a non EU state after all. They will also have to part pay for a pretty significant border between themselves and the rest of the UK. Scotland will face financial penalties whatever they do.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Most likely there will be an interim deal leaving things much the same for the next decade while they work out the trade deal.

No way they can do the trade deal in less time than that.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Another whine thread about Brexit? It's happening.

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Yes, it is. By the way, how are things going in America? Is it great again already as promised?

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Wouldn't know, live in Canada. From what I see in the US the stock seems up and living conditions are the same as they have been.

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Weren't the SNP calling the last referendum a once in a generation chance?
    Perhaps generations are shorter in Scotland.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As you say, the hypocrisy is staggering.

I'm still holding out hope that someone finds a way out of this. But if not, then go Scotland, go!

19. steve23094, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Who are you attributing that quote to, some faceless Government lackey?

It wouldn't be ironic for somebody like Theresa May to make a similar comment, she campaigned for Remain but is now in the position of delivering what that UK voted for.

Only politicians care whether Scotland becomes independent, nobody else would bat an eyelid.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

David Mundell the Scottish Secretary is quoted in the article and made that comment.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Unless there was a material change in circumstances. Brexit is material.

22. Mildredop macrumors 68020

How is that coming from "the mouths of Brexiteers"?

23. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

There's been a referendum and the result should stand. Once Brexit had happened, there will have been a material change so ok another referendum but then the options need to be put on the table to the people of Scotland. These probably aren't limited to:

• Stay as is with the UK
    • Stay with the UK but with yet more devolved power out of Westminster (the likely option/bribe)
    • Leave the UK and become independent
    • Leave the UK and petition to join the EU. Accepting that the EU will remain, there is no guarantee that all 27 nations will accept Scotland's application. Even if they do, it won't be an overnight issue so what measures does Scotland put in place to be independent for a period of at least a few years. I doubt they will be able to petition whilst still a part of the UK so it would be independence first with all that entails: setting up new ministries, currencies, legal frameworks etc then start the petition.

Personally I would rather Scotland stick with us, it is their call though but let's sort one mess out at a time.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

Don't forget that so far the UK hasn't even left and companys in their bureaucracy usually can put countries to shame the bigger they are. Many companies are still in a wait-and-see mode.

On banking:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/21/goldman-sachs-staff-london-brexit-frankfurt-paris
    so some are moving before brexit is even triggered.

it's difficult to assert the total picture from one company. Just yesterday there was a poll of german companies about their trade in the UK and 40% said business in the UK will become worse and 9% said they are relocating investments from the UK to Germany or the EU. With 2200 companies polled that equals to 200 companies pulling out investments of the UK.
    Those could be small companies who don't want the hassle but also could be BMW.

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its also worth noting some companies are remaining solely due to closed letter deals with the Government. Effectively the tax payer will be subsidising them.