The Future of iChat AV?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Some unreliable rumors of future iChat AV functionality have recently emerged, raising some interesting questions about the direction of iChat AV.

According to an unconfirmed Page 2 rumor, there are some claims that iChat AV will make its way to Windows, following in iTunes' footsteps. Apple has been open about the fact that iTunes promotes iPod sales and ultimately Mac sales. Whether or not iChat AV would offer the same incentives to PC users is up for debate. According to the uncertain rumor, iChat AV would be a for-pay option as it is for current Jaguar users.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
I think this would be a good idea. Showing off the good ideas and ease of use that Apple comes up with can only help Mac sales. Now, the issue of reliability is key here.

I also have to wonder how it would be done if a pay service? Maybe use it to promote iSight but I can't see anyone really paying for it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I know these are unreliable reports... but I think it raises some interesting points of discussion for iChat AV and Apple.

arn

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
conference video chats would be oh so cool. But even more, I'd like to video with my PC owning friends. Yahoo IM video sucks!

If iChat can bring the same amazing performance to the PC that'd be great, but if not, then I'd be fine with using iChat to do video with MSN or Yahoo users.

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by sethypoo
That will be cool, so long as most pc users have Firewire ports for the iSight!

:) :rolleyes: :D
I'm sure Apple would included a USB 2.0 adapter as they did for the iPod if iChatAV goes to Windows.

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
hmm... this sounds kind of wierd, witht the pay service... is that like... monthly service? if that ever happens i'm going back to normal aim. but that would be tight to talk to my pc (always potential switchers) buds.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by Bunzi2k4
hmm... this sounds kind of wierd, witht the pay service... is that like... monthly service? if that ever happens i'm going back to normal aim. but that would be tight to talk to my pc (always potential switchers) buds.
no- it is a program you purchse. no monthly fee.

most video confrencing apps are pay only, and they are very complicated. iChat AV makes things much easier for most users.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Any exposure of Apple products to the PC market is good exposure. I'm sure iChat A/V for Windows will wow the Windozers. Maybe convert a couple more % points of the market to Apple. I could see this potentially being big in the corporate/business scene. If they fill enough niches, Apple itself will become too big to be called a 'niche' computer market.

Apple programmers must be real happy with Steve . . . you know, making them get all this windows stuff working up to Apple standards and all. :D

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
A few great programs might make some Windows users wonder if they are on the right platform.

orb

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
$30 for iChat A/V is way too high. The software would be a total flop on the PC. It would be a total flop on the Mac too, if it weren't given away for free with panther. (on the other hand, I have some PC friends that I would gladly spend $30 on to give them the ability to do video chat with, so maybe I'm being too harsh)

$30 for a group A/V chat would be very much worth the price. I'm not sure this would appeal to home users as much as to business users.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
3 things great little rumor and if its true great

1st thing is iSight going to be used for this i take it as a yes but got to ask

2nd charge for what you can get free with aol yahoo msn etc etc the list is long

3 is it me or is Apple either trying to drum up more bizz or are they trying to make a leap at joining M/S

dont have a go at me it seems really weird to me all this talk of windows jumping hell freezing over stuff and ive only been a switcher for 4 months

i thought i was suppose to be droping windows lol

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Good luck selling it on Windows. Ha, what a joke. I doubt it would catch on unless it was free. It certainly would have hurt iChat AV if Apple hadn't offered a free beta to get us snagged.

Dan

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Good Move if it Happens.

I know about 5 PC users that want the iSight but they can't use it. To me this sounds like Apple will probably start bundling iChat A/V with iSight if they release a PC version. Because this what most cams do in the PC market. Which could mean the same for Mac users as well.

I think the more programs and hardware PC users use will eventually lead to more sales of Macs and I believe thats what Job's is betting on.

I know alot folks that are PC users and you only have to say Mac or Apple around them to get them started in on you. I'll find it funny if Apples market share starts to grow and MS market share starts to shrink. More and more countries are going to Open Source OS's only. Vietnam just did this recently making all MS OS illegal to own or use. Slowly MS is losing market share around the world and it will keep on happening until MS opens up it's code.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by alset
Good luck selling it on Windows. Ha, what a joke. I doubt it would catch on unless it was free. It certainly would have hurt iChat AV if Apple hadn't offered a free beta to get us snagged.

Dan
instead of giving away for free, Apple can bundle iChat AV with the iSight. Make it a package for $129 or just the iChat AV for $29--I'm sure most users would go for the bundle. Apple's all about integration, so porting iChat AV to windows wouldn't be so bad if it was tied to selling more iSights.

Also, we really don't know what Apple has in store for us. Maybe Apple is working on some sort of portable video communicator device that's integrated with iChat AV. Sort of an iPod with a video camera and larger screen that you can take anywhere and communicate (wirelessly?) by video.

dracoleb

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2003
Apple really needs to bundle iChat AV with the iSight. I mean they were announced together as the perfect combonation, even asking why would you use the iBot if you can use iSight on iChat AV. I mean it's not like they sell the iPod without iTunes.

uiop

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2003
I think people are missing the bigger picture. I don't think apple will make ichat for windows.

Now with AOL's partnership with Apple, I have a feeling that AIM and AOL will have a compatibility with iSight and iChat. Meaning, us with macs will be able to video chat with our PC companions

dracoleb

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2003
Then the iSight can come bundled with the iChat AV friendly AIM, just like the iPod came with MusicMatch before wiTunes

daddy-mojo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
L.A.
repackage it

its going to have to be repackaged, one for mac one for pc. currently ships with the hardware to attach it to modern macs. maybe they'll offer isight w/tripod and ichatav bundle.:rolleyes:

JediL

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
Evanston, IL
iChat AV/AIM compatability

I don't think Apple would want to jeopardize a relationship with AOL by releasing a competing IM program that essentially talks to the same people AIM talks to.

If I remember correctly, one of the stipulations of the AOL-Time Warner merger was that AOL could not develop video-conferencing technology unless it opened its chat network to others.

I'm not sure if compatability with iChat qualifies as enough "opening up" but who knows. With the AOL signing a long-term music alliance w/ Apple and the CEO speak personally at the Stevenote it seems as if AOL and Apple are becoming pretty good chums.

What I think will happen is AOL introduces a new version of AIM with video conferencing and iSight will be available to windows w/ firewire and USB 2.0 connections.

As for compatability with other chat clients, I believe yahoo is charging for that as a "premium" service. Not sure if MSN will open up its networks.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Re: repackage it

Originally posted by daddy-mojo
its going to have to be repackaged, one for mac one for pc. currently ships with the hardware to attach it to modern macs. maybe they'll offer isight w/tripod and ichatav bundle.:rolleyes:
No tripods. As the Steve explained, tripods give you a bad angle, because you set it on your desk and you get a good shot of the cheek and chin, but not a head-on shot. No, the monitor mounting clip is the way to go.

dracoleb

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2003
Why have a tripod if it is designed to be on top of a monitor. The eMac attatchmet should be sufficient for CRT's and the LCD attatchment good for LCD's. I don't think Apple will bundle the USB 2.0 cable either. They don't with the iPod to keep costs down and have only one version, much more cost efficent, though the iSight would need a diffrent connector. If i'm not mistaken the iSight has a standard firewire port.

vitaboy

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2003
The reason why Apple doesn't bundle iChat AV with the iSight is that iChat AV works with any FireWire camera. You can plug in your Sony Handycam and it will work with iSight. Some people may not need or want iSight as a result.

However, I do think that should Apple relase iChat AV for Windows, they should bundle the program with iSight and sell millions of them. With more Apple software/hardware that a Window user owns, the less burdensome it will be for them to switch to a Mac. I mean, if a Windows user already has iSight, iTMS music, and an iPod, a great deal less of their investment goes to waste by making the switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.