Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
PI had to throw away a lot of hardware and documents once before, because Apple changed its architecture and operating systems, so I was a bit panic stricken by this notification of a clash between PPC Apps and the new Mac Pro operating systems.
As long as there are new applications that will open your documents, then you should not need to throw away any documents. Modern standards like PDF or DOC won't even need converting, either.

I still have documents from my Mac IIsi, running a Motorola 68000 on OS 7. They still work on my Intel Mac Mini running OS X 10.8.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Perhaps I should clarify the issue, which appears as though it may not actually be an issue.

I just work with a lot of documents. Even though I don't need massive computing power for things like graphics, I have owned three Apple Desktop systems because they tend to last, unlike many of the other gadgets Apple produces.

My daughter on the other hand wants to take some sort of graphics courses in college. Since the only computer experience I have is on a Mac PPC and a Mac Pro will accommodate her needs, I would like to keep everything on the same platform.

So I was thinking about buying a 2010-12 Mac Pro in the next few weeks, something like the 3.33 Hex model, and letting her start out with that.

Then when Apple comes out with the Ivy Bridge, I figured I'd buy her one of those, and move over to the 3.33 Hex myself.

The problem was that when I looked at the Specs for the Mac Pro models the other day, it said that PPC Applications would not run with the Lion operating system. I had to throw away a lot of hardware and documents once before, because Apple changed its architecture and operating systems, so I was a bit panic stricken by this notification of a clash between PPC Apps and the new Mac Pro operating systems.

I follow this forum and most of the things people talk about here are far too technical for me. I'm sure that most people here would feel my needs for word processing and information gathering could easily be accommodated by an "i-Gadget," but then how many of them would I have had to purchase over the 8-years that we have been using this computer.

Fortunately, it sounds like there are ways to transfer printed documents between the PPCs and Mac Pros.

If Apple comes out next week with high value, moderately priced, entry level systems -- like they did in 2008 -- then I could get my daughter one of those. Otherwise, a 2010-12 model will get her through some classes and do everything I need for years after she outgrows it, so long as I can transfer my documents over to it and print them out in a reasonable fashion.

Either way, I will back up everything in triplicate using Super Duper before I give it a whirl.

OK, I see. Nice explanation. Some hints and advice (though maybe duplicated from the replies above?). When you get your new mac the old HDD with all your documents on it will just plug right in and be readable on the new system assuming it's SATA - and if it's not a SATA drive you can either buy a PATA interface for $40 and connect it that way or buy a ethernet "cross-over" cable for $15 and transfer by dragging and dropping to a shared folder - or by using the migration facilities during or after the new install. Of course burning a CD or DVD will also work although that may be a pain if you're like me with "(96.99 GB on disk) for 9,573 items" in your textual documents folder. :p

You certainly don't want any hand-held devices other than maybe to use it as an intermediary storage device for transferring to the new machine. Hand-held tablets and even phablets are fine for reading and maybe even printing but for searching, sorting, navigating, and editing they suck compared to a desktop. Maybe in the distant future when speech recognition and/or roll-out LCD screens are common and also good enough to be useful, then...

Of the manipulation of text documents there's no need to panic about the fact that PPC apps won't run on the new machine. Luckily for us Text editors, readers, organizers, and converters are among the most common types (no pun intended) of freeware and shareware. So you will be able to replace any functionality you're currently depending on now with one or more of those.

Good luck with the new machine, and have fun!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
...That leaves a lot of articles and books I have accumulated in PDF form. Hopefully, Adobe has developed its own system for converting these documents when they are simply dragged and dropped onto a drive running a more advanced reader application.

Ok, question:
1. Do you want to *Edit* these pdf's?
or
2. Do you simply want to read them?

If you want to *Edit* them as PDF's, then you will need the full-blown Adobe Acrobat.

HOWEVER, if all you want to do is *read* the PDF's then any old pdf-reader will do. Since the Mac OS has Preview built in, you can simply use that.

You also know that you can creat PDF's for free in the Mac OS, correct?

Also, regarding the issue of Acrobat not recognizing the documents that it had created...when did this happen? Did you upgrade directly from OS9 to OS X (10.?) ?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
This was the case when Apple shifted between OS 9 and 10.3...

My dad has a 41 year old Buick he's been driving since it came off the assembly line, and the Marines are flying the very same helicopters he flew in 1972. But Apple can't make anything, except their "Pro Line," function for more than 3-years, before they systematically abandon it.

Your Dad's Buick won't cut it on today's modern expressways; and the Marines 1972 helicopters have no value in today's war on terror!

For someone who has been way ahead of the curve by making her Apple computers function for over 15 years; you seem way too impatient.

Especially considering the alternatives...

----------

My dad has a 41 year old Buick he's been driving since it came off the assembly line, and the Marines are flying the very same helicopters he flew in 1972. But Apple can't make anything, except their "Pro Line," function for more than 3-years, before they systematically abandon it.

Your Dad's Buick won't cut it on today's modern superhighways; and the Marines 1972 helicopters have no value in today's war on terror!

For someone who has been way ahead of the curve by making her Apple computers function for over 15 years; you seem way too impatient.

----------

Your Dad's Buick won't cut it on today's modern superhighways; and the Marines 1972 helicopters have no value in today's war on terror!

Especially considering the alternatives:

Buy your daughter a Dell and check in with us in 2028 and let us know how happy you are with this decision...

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Your Dad's Buick won't cut it on today's modern expressways; and the Marines 1972 helicopters have no value in today's war on terror!

----------

----------

Especially considering the alternatives:

Buy your daughter a Dell and check in with us in 2028 and let us know how happy you are with this decision...

If the Buick will do 65-70 it's just fine.

We still use UH-1 Huey (1959), AH-1Cobras (1965), AH-64 Apache (1975), C130 (1954), C5 Galaxy (1970), UH60 Blackhawk (1974), CH-47 Chinook (1961) every day in the GWOT.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I thought she said a '41 Buick!

I guess there's no point in drawing the analogy then...

Help her daughter out with her new Dell, will ya!?

Jeanne C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

That 1972 Riviera my Dad drives will cruise all day long at 85-90 MPH, with just a wee bit of blow by, and the Marines still have those old CH-46 "Phrogs" out there "punching holes in the sky."

As for the "War on Terror" that's an utter rouse aimed at nothing more than "full spectrum dominance," which has quite effectively bankrupted us; and that's why we can't really do too much about all those bridges we have collapsing on "today's modern expressways."

As for the "Apple Computer" Corporation, whenever I think about the pattern and practice it has followed I'm reminded of a guy who stormed out of a board meeting just before Apple launched its 'i-everything' tangent. He was a heavy investor and as he walked away a reporter followed and repeatedly asked him to express his views about the path Apple was charting. Just as he was getting into his limo he paused for a moment, turned around, and barked: "You want my opinion ... this is going to be the best damn gadget making company on earth!"

Now if you think about it, there was a guy who had something at stake, so why was he so peeved off about Apple focusing so much on manufacturing "i-gadgets" to the exclusion of everything else?

I think it had something to do with the fact that ultimately the shine wears off gadgets, and people are tired of Apple selling them one gadget after another only to have them systematically render them obsolete and unusable. Of course, there's always going to be another company, like Samsung, that eventually will produce similar gadgets cheaper and with a high enough quality to seriously undercut the original gadget maker.

That's why Apple's shareholders are facing the "laws of diminishing returns" right now.

On the other hand, Apple had the most powerful operating system for computers that the masses, as a whole, readily could have utilized.

If "knowledge is power," then it seems like a company armed with that kind of "juice" could have "body slammed" Microsoft and the entire "Wintel" world. Typically, the rule of thumb has been that when companies manufacture solid state devices, what they produce becomes more reasonably priced and thus more readily available to a larger spectrum of the potential market.

However, Apple refused to follow any of the customary "rules of thumb." Based on what I read on this forum, the only conclusion I can come to is that people here believe Apple systematically produce their "high end" products with components that are virtually obsolete the day they are manufactured. On top of that they tend to constrain their customer's ability to expand upon and utilize what they manufacture, even when there are perfectly viable components that would serve to expand their customer's capabilities without affecting Apple's profit margin at all.

Add the fact that they gouge their customers for substandard components every chance they get, and what emerges is not a picture of a genuinely "user friendly" company.

Seems like they could have empowered a lot more people, with some genuinely affordable computers that didn't need a processor mashed together with a screen, or a technophile to change a battery and the world might have been spared the whole "Mac vs. PC" software quandary.

But yeah, good news, sounds like "Windows" is giving everyone a much "fuzzier feeling" these days, and just as soon as Apple adjourns this WWDC conference, I'll be plugging that into my "learning curve" on one of their old machines.

Quid pro quo ...

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
But yeah, good news, sounds like "Windows" is giving everyone a much "fuzzier feeling" these days, and just as soon as Apple adjourns this WWDC conference, I'll be plugging that into my "learning curve" on one of their old machines.

Guess we'll be reading most of your future posts on the WindowsRumors forum then...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Super confused as to the issue here.

From what I understand, you're running Office 2004 and would like to upgrade your computer and your OS.

Your worry is if your documents created in earlier versions of Office will work on the latest version?

Yes.

Safari will also update. PDFs will work the same.

I ask this in total seriousness: is this a legit question? Surely we all would have heard terrible horror stories have upgrading/updating been an issue.

Jeanne C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Super confused as to the issue here.

From what I understand, you're running Office 2004 and would like to upgrade your computer and your OS.

Your worry is if your documents created in earlier versions of Office will work on the latest version?

Yes.

Safari will also update. PDFs will work the same.

I ask this in total seriousness: is this a legit question? Surely we all would have heard terrible horror stories have upgrading/updating been an issue.

Yes, my primary concerns center upon my need to transfer MS Office 2004 documents, PDFs, and Safari bookmarks. From what I have gathered here, I should be able to update MS Office 2004 to MS Office 2008 on both the PPC and Intel platforms. Since I have accumulated over 86K folders and 606K files using these applications over the years, I was concerned about "EveryMac" Com's notification regarding the Mac Pro "Six Core" 3.33 (2010/Westmere) Specs, which state:

"This system fully supports the current version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion," with the exception of the "AirPlay Mirroring" feature. Please note that OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion are not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as neither supports the "Rosetta" environment."

My experience with the "Classic" emulation between the OS 9 and OS X environment was one of extension conflicts, so I never used "Classic."

The problem was that we had invested $1000 for a wide format printer and $100s more in other peripherals that would only work properly with OS 9, a few months before "Jaguar" came out.

"Jaguar" came across as something that Apple had designed by taking elements of OS 9 and OS X and throwing them against a wall to see how many things would stick together.

Since we couldn't get a "Gimp Print" server to run the printer properly, I developed things in OS X up to the point where "Tiger" started to get "buggy" and used a partition with OS 9 to print things out.

Someplace along the way Adobe and Microsoft completely stopped supporting OS 9 Apps. Fortunately, I back things up in multiple partitions, because I encountered a situation where a slew of PDF documents, on an OS 9 drive partition, turned into "hollow shells" with "zero content" when I tried to launch the Adobe Reader one day.

"P-o-o-o-o-o-f-f-f!"

The message was: "Get another computer" and pray that everything you have stored in the back-up partition can be dragged and dropped onto a new OS X drive, because you only get one more "Mouse Click" to test the theory.

The choices were a "Quad Core" 2.5 GHz liquid cooled model that leaked and was obviously not ready for "prime time" or the "Dual Core" 2.0 GHz air cooled model, which Apple was about to consign to the "bone pile" with its segue into the "Intel" platform. Of course, that was implemented around yet another emulation scheme called "Rosetta."

Now, I get the part about the "march of civilization" and "progress." Undoubtedly, there was some guy that made the "best damn buggy whips" on planet earth about the time the Model-T started rolling off of assembly lines.

What I don't get is how a couple of "Frat Boys" like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates could dominate the computer industry for decades on end, without facing any form of "regulatory standards" to preclude them from methodologically disabling equipment, because software manufacturers have had to repeatedly adapt to architectural modifications. Apple has changed its architectural standards three times, with the effect of making computers they manufactured function like the staircases in Mrs. Winchester's mansion, in a matter of months after they were produced.

Obviously, there has to be profit incentives to motivate changes in industry, because it takes money to retool them. But what is sorely lacking in the computer industry are any form of regulatory provisions to protect consumers from having to completely replace equipment and software that manufacturers can systematically render obsolete as they see fit.

That's a system that invites abuse.

My Dad doesn't need a keyboard to tune his Buick, because there was a law that required automobile makers to produce replacement parts for 10-years after it was manufactured, and enough Buicks survived to make a market for third party vendors to produce replacement parts afterwards.

Maybe there should be a similar law to govern computer and software industries, in order to preclude their insatiable lusts for profit from governing all of us.

I can't even begin to understand the technicalities of how computers function, and I stand in awe of a great many members of this site who I regard as the best judges of whether or not there is any merit to the comments I have made above. Perhaps there are perfectly sound reasons for all of these architectural changes. If there are not, then you are the only people who possess the technical insight necessary to question these industries, which for better or worse, exert tremendous influences upon our society.

Maybe there should be a forum dedicated to examining the standards by which these industries wield that influence, and that might well extend to the manner in which government utilizes them, because I have read the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights from cover to cover, and I don't see anything in there that entitles either of these entities to construct a complex in Buffdale, Utah for the purpose of tracking every keystroke we make.

Finally, I thoroughly agree with the views that people have made regarding the substandard capabilities of Microsoft's Office Software. I always questioned my Dad's decision to put this software on our computers, given the rivalry that has existed between Apple and Microsoft.

What I would be interested in knowing at this point is what you guys regard as the best word processing office software on the market today, and I thank you all very much for the benefit of your knowledge.

Last edited:

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
im sorry you have these complications but frankly, I dont see any problem.

as long as you use some well-known format for your documents, it doesnt matter what Applications you have, hell even operating system isn't such a big deal nowadays.

from what you say, to me it seems like you had a bad luck with timing, you purchased old technology, when new one was emerging.

but fear not. first of all, your office documents, PDFs will be readable on any modern computer. i bet most of your old applications can be replaced with newer versions.
your directory structure will stay intact, just copy it on thumb drive and then onto new computer (hell you could even have everything in Dropbox nowadays).

to make this step easier I would recommend either keeping your old computer around just in case. if you really need to use your old software and equipment from time to time, I recommend creating virtual machine on your new computer. this way you will have instant access to all your file and software.

you can use PearPC or Sheepshaver to install PowerPC OS X onto your new intel mac. I think you could also create image from your old hard drive and use it within the emulator.

I think Apple Pages is pretty good text editor but Libre Office/Neo Office are free and really good too so I suggest going that way. You could also utilize Google Documents, that way it doesn't really matter what format you use.

I suggest checking out http://www.lowendmac.com for more information, they have mailing lists for people with old Macs and making the most of old hardware and switching to newer one.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
There's no such thing as a "PowerPC Word Document."

Any documents you make are independent of the system architecture.

The key is not the documents but the software used to create them. If you need to work with Word documents, get Office 2011. It beats the pants off 2008 for performance.

PDF support for viewing and creation (not editing) is baked into the OS at a very deep level so there are no issues there.

Bookmarks etc get transferred over during the migration, they too are independent of the system used to create them - they're just web links.

Get the new machine, do the migration, install the new Office. Voila.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Yes, my primary concerns center upon my need to transfer MS Office 2004 documents, PDFs, and Safari bookmarks. From what I have gathered here, I should be able to update MS Office 2004 to MS Office 2008 on both the PPC and Intel platforms. Since I have accumulated over 86K folders and 606K files using these applications over the years, I was concerned about "EveryMac" Com's notification regarding the Mac Pro "Six Core" 3.33 (2010/Westmere) Specs, which state:

"This system fully supports the current version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion," with the exception of the "AirPlay Mirroring" feature. Please note that OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion are not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as neither supports the "Rosetta" environment."

My experience with the "Classic" emulation between the OS 9 and OS X environment was one of extension conflicts, so I never used "Classic."

The problem was that we had invested $1000 for a wide format printer and $100s more in other peripherals that would only work properly with OS 9, a few months before "Jaguar" came out.

"Jaguar" came across as something that Apple had designed by taking elements of OS 9 and OS X and throwing them against a wall to see how many things would stick together.

Since we couldn't get a "Gimp Print" server to run the printer properly, I developed things in OS X up to the point where "Tiger" started to get "buggy" and used a partition with OS 9 to print things out.

Someplace along the way Adobe and Microsoft completely stopped supporting OS 9 Apps. Fortunately, I back things up in multiple partitions, because I encountered a situation where a slew of PDF documents, on an OS 9 drive partition, turned into "hollow shells" with "zero content" when I tried to launch the Adobe Reader one day.

"P-o-o-o-o-o-f-f-f!"

The message was: "Get another computer" and pray that everything you have stored in the back-up partition can be dragged and dropped onto a new OS X drive, because you only get one more "Mouse Click" to test the theory.

The choices were a "Quad Core" 2.5 GHz liquid cooled model that leaked and was obviously not ready for "prime time" or the "Dual Core" 2.0 GHz air cooled model, which Apple was about to consign to the "bone pile" with its segue into the "Intel" platform. Of course, that was implemented around yet another emulation scheme called "Rosetta."

Now, I get the part about the "march of civilization" and "progress." Undoubtedly, there was some guy that made the "best damn buggy whips" on planet earth about the time the Model-T started rolling off of assembly lines.

What I don't get is how a couple of "Frat Boys" like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates could dominate the computer industry for decades on end, without facing any form of "regulatory standards" to preclude them from methodologically disabling equipment, because software manufacturers have had to repeatedly adapt to architectural modifications. Apple has changed its architectural standards three times, with the effect of making computers they manufactured function like the staircases in Mrs. Winchester's mansion, in a matter of months after they were produced.

Obviously, there has to be profit incentives to motivate changes in industry, because it takes money to retool them. But what is sorely lacking in the computer industry are any form of regulatory provisions to protect consumers from having to completely replace equipment and software that manufacturers can systematically render obsolete as they see fit.

My Dad doesn't need a keyboard to tune his Buick, because there was a law that required automobile makers to produce replacement parts for 10-years after it was manufactured, and enough Buicks survived to make a market for third party vendors to produce replacement parts afterwards.

Maybe there should be a similar law to govern computer and software industries, in order to preclude their insatiable lusts for profit from governing all of us.

I can't even begin to understand the technicalities of how computers function, and I stand in awe of a great many members of this site who I regard as the best judges of whether or not there is any merit to the comments I have made above. Perhaps there are perfectly sound reasons for all of these architectural changes. If there are not, then you are the only people who possess the technical insight necessary to question these industries, which for better or worse, exert tremendous influences upon our society.

Maybe there should be a forum dedicated to examining the standards by which these industries wield that influence, and that might well extend to the manner in which government utilizes them, because I have read the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights from cover to cover, and I don't see anything in there that entitles either of these entities to construct a complex in Buffdale, Utah for the purpose of tracking every keystroke we make.

Finally, I thoroughly agree with the views that people have made regarding the substandard capabilities of Microsoft's Office Software. I always questioned my Dad's decision to put this software on our computers, given the rivalry that has existed between Apple and Microsoft.

What I would be interested in knowing at this point is what you guys regard as the best word processing office software on the market today, and I thank you all very much for the benefit of your knowledge.

I'm afraid that your self admitted lack of knowledge about technical stuff has led you to some very inaccurate theories.

OS9 was a proprietary operating system by Apple. OSX is a pretty interface for the real OS behind the scenes which is BSD Unix. That was a quantum shift yes, but absolutely necessary.

PPC vs. Intel? Yes the architecture changed, but that wasn't what Apple wanted to do, they were forced into it because IBM couldn't get the heat dissipation low enough on the G5 to put it into a laptop so Apple was stuck at the G4 level in laptops. Intel offered a path forward and they took it. Naturally, they didn't want to support two different microprocessor architectures across the product line, so they migrated everything to Intel.

Unfortunately, in the technology world, one has to take a step back in order to take two steps forward. It may look like profit motive by making systems obsolete, but in reality, it's about advancing the technology in the long term. That means things have to be dropped out...like floppy disks, parallel printer ports, etc. Those things have limitations and when you bump against the ceiling, something has to give, so you move to a room with higher ceilings.

regards,

Greg

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh

"P-o-o-o-o-o-f-f-f!"

1. It would behoove you to understand how something works before complaining so mightily about it.
2. We've answered your questions, why are you still ranting?
3. This is how computers work, either accept it or stop using them.
4. You're starting to sound like seriously crazy person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.