The G5

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
So let's make the fastest computer eve, state of the art tech, and slap in the slowest drive there is?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
maybe he is talking about a laptop. apple has just started using 5400rpm drives in the Ti so maybe thats what he is talking about. maybe a 60 gig 5400 rpm drive in a Ti? to replace the 48gig 5400 rpm drive in there now. i dont know. anyone else have a guess what he is talking about?

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: The G5

Originally posted by Duder
The G5 will be released by the fall (or at least announced) @ 1.6ghz 5400 rpm HD drive:p
Where'd you hear this? If Apple does release it with a 5400rpm drive I will be very annoyed. It won't matter to me (when I get a G5 I'm going to get it without a HD and swap in mine), but it would be annoying to watch them cripple a great machine. If you're just making it up, learn to make up believable rumors first. This is only slightly better than the Apple buys IBM one (which would be like Transmeta buying Intel, or Red Hat buying Microsoft).

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
nice article. those register articles are always so believable, but its good to recall that they had basically the exact same articles last year predicting a g5 at mwsf 2002.

im not saying they are wrong this time, but even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts now and then.

germanknee

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
yes, i just realized that and came back to apologize. i feel like an idiot. i looked at the wrong part of the page.

anyway, the article does have some merit. the hyper transport bit is a little shady because the MPC85xx uses RapidIO. also, osx 10.2 and the proccessor being 64 bit is retarded. i don't think we'll see 64 bit for another year and half, maybe more, from apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.