"The Gadget Show" predict "The end of the Desktop PC" (UK)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by penplotter, Mar 29, 2014.

1. penplotter macrumors regular

Did anyone else in the UK see this ridiculous episode, where these folks (ironically, sponsored by "PC World", no less) stated that "The Desktop PC is dead"?

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/blog/death-of-the-desktop-pc-series-19-episode-1

Where do these TV shows get these grand delusions that they "decided" and that is that? I suppose they think that their very own show was shot entirely on iPhones, and cut in post using iPads? What do they think iOS and Android apps are written on - phones?

2. northernmunky, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Sorry friend, but this is not as ridiculous as you might think. I haven't owned a desktop PC since I was forced to buy my first Mac back in 2006, only months later a got rid of my PC tower and haven't had a need to own a desktop since.

Now, whenever I go into PC world and see desktop towers on display I think to myself 'why on earth would I want to buy one of those?'

Desktop PCs are dead. People want portability, people want to be able to take tablets/laptops to starbucks, laze in bed doing their thing or lounge in front of the TV watching cat videos on youtube. The way we use computers has changed.

Besides, I have a Macbook Pro, even if I wanted to, all I have to do is plug it into my external monitor, close the lid and its a desktop machine.

3. penplotter, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

penplotter thread starter macrumors regular

A MacBook Pro runs a Desktop OS - that's enough proof that they're far from "dead".

Also...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Desktop seems pretty alive to me. The MacBook Pro may be a laptop, but it is actually running a Desktop operating system, so your comment is void.

Stating that something is dead, when it clearly isn't dead, is just plain silly (I'm referring to the overall view; I don't think *you* are silly :) - I'm not that rude)

Something is dead when it's not alive; you going into PC World and seeing PCs, shows they are not dead.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

In the future we'll all be using PowerBook Duos.

5. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Operating Systems like Windows / MacOS is not a 'Desktop' OS, they are designed to run on both laptops and desktops just the same. But I see where you're going, I think what the Gadget Show was aiming at are desktop PCs that looks like this:

[​IMG]
    ..which to me is pretty ancient to my eyes.

Personally as much as I'd love a Mac Pro, I'd rather stick with my Macbook for the home, MacPro for hardcore work at the office. My Macbook is powerful enough for what I want to do, and I do a lot of CPU intensive work.

Mac Mini, yes its still a desktop I won't deny that. In fact I'm planning on buying one to set up as a home server/media centre when the next iteration is released so even then I won't be using it as a desktop machine. At least it won't be taking up so much room on my desk as that ugly thing in the image above is going to!

6. penplotter thread starter macrumors regular

He he :)

What makes me laugh about this cheesy little corporate shill, consumer-focused lowest-common-denominator TV show, is that they state something, and then act as if it's "fact", and showboat about all the "reasons" they say it to be so, ergo IT IS so...

I'm pretty sure I heard them say, last year, that smartphones are "replacing" dSLRs... what a hoot, they're blatantly being paid to spout this crap :D

----------

Actually (please forgive that this may appear pedantic), Mac OS X is a Desktop OS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

7. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Despite me writing this comment on a laptop running MacOS? On my lap?
    The hardware on a desktop is essentially identical to that on a laptop only in a different form factor. The MacMini which you used in your example is largely the same hardware in my laptop.

An operating system can be used on any hardware in whatever form factor as long as it has compatible architecture to allow the code within that OS to execute. If you say an operating system can only be used as on a 'Desktop' then my Laptop should be running iOS. Its not.

8. penplotter thread starter macrumors regular

The term "Desktop OS" is used in reference to an architecture and platform, not to the physical form factor of the machine. Anyhoo, I am glad you like your laptop... which runs a Desktop OS :p

Please refer:

http://www.techterms.com/definition/operating_system

Unless it runs a mobile OS such as iOS or Android, it's a Desktop OS.

hehe

9. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

If you say so. :D
    The word 'Desktop' doesn't solely define its use exclusively on a 'Desktop' PC

10. penplotter thread starter macrumors regular

Not if *I* say so, the entire industry seems to.

Well yes, I know... ya know? Wasn't that my point I was trying to carry across, after all?

LOL :D

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Funny for me the emergence of the iPad has killed off my need for a laptop. I have an old dell one somewhere, but I never use it.
    iMac for me is perfect when I need a big screen. iPad is fine for a bit of sofa surfing. iPhone for when I'm out and about.
    I do watch the gadget show, but to be honest it's more and more out of touch. It used to be a more informative show. These days they are going more for the entertainment value IMO.

12. And macrumors 6502

And

For most people I think a computer is - Facebook, checking the bank, the odd casual game, email, a bit of shopping ...you can do most of this on your phone now. With the integration of internet services in TVs, we are reaching the point where most people don't need a traditional desktop or laptop. For the odd casual bit of typing or spreadsheet use, use a tablet. The only people who 'need' a computer (desktop or pc) are video/image editors, scientists, people who need to write long things and need a better keyboard & screen, and 'hardcore' gamers who won't use a console. Once people start realising they don't need a desktop/laptop and don't buy (and I don't have figures, but I think sales are now reflecting this) economies of scale will be affected, prices will rise and the desktop/laptop world will become niche once again. So I agree with the sentiment, though I don't think we are quite there yet. 'Computing' will still happen, that happens whenever an OS & processor are involved, but it will not be the computing we know now.

13. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

They'll probably become more and more niche.

It's natural I suppose, the desktops dominance will decline as and when people find more convenient solutions for their casual needs. Productivity wise though, I ditch even my laptop for actual work. Can't beat a 27" display.

Also The Gadget Show sucks.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

My guess is that sales numbers tell some the the tale, however desktops are far from dead. Two things in their favor- price and performance compared to laptops

15. Roller macrumors 68020

Maybe to people who can get all their work done at coffee shops, in bed, or in front of the TV, but what about the corporate world? In my organization, we have thousands of desktops deployed, many of which are shared workstations with one or more large monitors. Even if portable devices were up to the job, securing them would be a nightmare. That doesn't mean that we're not using smartphones, tablets, and laptops and very inexpensive desktops running thin clients, but only where they make sense.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The PC is not completely dead, but the growing use of mobile systems will make it more of a niche machine.

But to watch movies nothing tops a 27” display.:D

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The Gadget Show are total sellouts. It used to be good. Not anymore. I haven't watched to their biased nonsense since the second series. The desktop PC will never die, it will only lose popularity as tablets become the preferred device for consumers.

Writing stuff without a keyboard and a screen less than 15 inch is not fun.

18. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Oh please, they meant the desktop pc form factor, not the OS. I seem to remember them specifically mentioning that people use laptops instead as well as tablets and smart phones.

And they are pretty much right, all the sales figures back them up.