The Gay Advocates of Gun Rights

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Four years ago, Chris Cheng—a Chinese-Japanese-Cuban-American Google employee—started watching Top Shot, a History Channel reality show where contestants shoot their way through a series of complex competitions. Cheng, who as a kid had sometimes gone shooting with his Navy veteran father, started getting into the show.

One day, while watching season two with some of his Google coworkers, Cheng told them: "Hey, everyone, this is gonna sound crazy, but I think I'm going to apply for Top Shot." He remembers his colleagues thinking he was nuts. "They looked at me like, 'You barely shoot, you don't have any accolades or trophies or awards or anything in the shooting world. What makes you think you'd even stand a chance with some of these lifelong, seasoned professional marksmen?' "

But Cheng had a sense of what he could do. He'd been going to the range and hitting his marks; the best way to put his skills to the test, he figured, was to sign up and try out. He got in. Then he beat out veterans, police officers, and an Olympic shooter en route to winning that season's competition. The first thing he did after his victory was take some of the $100,000 prize money and upgrade his National Rifle Association membership to lifetime status.

Then, last year, Cheng took to his blog to announce he was gay. This wasn't a surprise to his friends and family: Cheng and his boyfriend had been together for four and a half years. But he wanted people to see that gun owners were a diverse set of people—and who better than a gay, racially diverse, tech-geek-turned-champion-marksman to deliver the message?

Cheng might be the most prominent gay marksman at the moment, but he's not alone. Websites and communities tailored to gay gun enthusiasts include the Pink Pistols, Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog, and GaysWithGuns.net, which features a sexy, stubbled man brandishing a semiautomatic. The website used to pose the provocative question of what would have happened to Matthew Shepard had he been trained to use a gun—though that was removed after too many people objected, and it was replaced with a quote from the Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you … it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." Self-defense was one of the reasons Marc Whittemore, a Los Angeles-based designer, started the website, but it was also partly to show that "it's not just Christian, redneck, Bible-thumping old white men that are pro-gun."
http://news.msn.com/us/the-gay-advocates-of-gun-rights-1

wow, love top shot , anyways glad there are more groups out there supporting rights.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
No one wants to take your guns away. We want better mental testing for obtaining guns and irresponsible people not having guns.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
1.No one wants to take your guns away.
2 We want better mental testing for obtaining guns
3. and irresponsible people not having guns.
1 at no time did I claim my guns were being taken away
2 vague
3 plenty of laws that address that part already.

Last edited:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
1 at no time did I claim my guns were being taken away
2 vague
3 plenty of laws that address that part already.
"groups out there supporting rights."

Thats what caused me to post the first point.

2. Could have been worded better. But I did mean that there should be better checks for mentally ill.

3. Really? Adam Lanza's mother wasn't responsible.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
"groups out there supporting rights."

Thats what caused me to post the first point.

2. Could have been worded better. But I did mean that there should be better checks for mentally ill.

3. Really? Adam Lanza's mother wasn't responsible.
nope, she had a mentally i'll kid.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
nope, she had a mentally i'll kid.
She could have put the guns in safe spots around the house. Immure of that much at least. Also, she stockpiled so many guns, don't you think there should be a certain limit as to how many you can get?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
She could have put the guns in safe spots around the house. Immure of that much at least. Also, she stockpiled so many guns, don't you think there should be a certain limit as to how many you can get?
no, no limits. it's a hobby to many, plenty of guns with specific purposes, you can use a trap gun to shoot skeet, but many don't. her guns should have been in a safe.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
no, no limits. it's a hobby to many, plenty of guns with specific purposes, you can use a trap gun to shoot skeet, but many don't. her guns should have been in a safe.
So she wasn't responsible was she?

Make up your mind.
A. She was responsible but had a mentally ill child which led to a massacre.

B. She was irresponsible with her guns and caused the massacre.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm shocked that some gun owners are gay.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Here are a few more shockers...

Some gays are conservatives...

Some gays are republicans...

Some gays are dumbasses...not because they're republicans (or democrats), or conservatives, or gun owners...

They're just dumbasses just like straight dumbasses!

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I question what the topic is lol.
I'm reading it like this: there are some gay people who support gun ownership, which is just mind boggling. As such, it's possible that some liberals also support gun ownership, which quite simply is an earth-shattering realization. Based upon these two things, we can ascertain that there is simply no reason that anyone could or should be against full-on gun ownership by anyone.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I'm reading it like this: there are some gay people who support gun ownership, which is just mind boggling. As such, it's possible that some liberals also support gun ownership, which quite simply is an earth-shattering realization. Based upon these two things, we can ascertain that there is simply no reason that anyone could or should be against full-on gun ownership by anyone.
works for me :D

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
try the title
So how is that amazing?

----------

Lol.

:D

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
No one wants to take your guns away. We want better mental testing for obtaining guns and irresponsible people not having guns.
If we had the same guns laws we have now 50 years ago they could have used used his sexual status a reason to legally take guns away from him in some states.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
If we had the same guns laws we have now 50 years ago they could have used used his sexual status a reason to legally take guns away from him in some states.
Actually, thats where you are wrong.

Its not changes in gun laws, its changes in mental health classifications. The only thing that has changed is that, up until 1974 homosexuality was classified as a mental illness by the American Psychiatric Association.

Nobody wants to take away Chris Cheng's guns.

But I suggest he might think a little more carefully about who he chooses as his "friends" - because the same right-wing extremists take their marching orders from the NRA are usually the same Neanderthals doing everything possible to restrict or roll back society's progress when it comes to Gay Rights.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Actually, thats where you are wrong.

Its not changes in gun laws, its changes in mental health classifications. The only thing that has changed is that, up until 1974 homosexuality was classified as a mental illness by the American Psychiatric Association.
Sorry it was 60 years(It WAS less then 50 years when I read about it 15 years ago).
In States like California even people that are non-volient with mental disorders can have all guns taken.

"8103. (a) (1) No person who after October 1, 1955, has been
adjudicated by a court of any state to be a danger to others as a
result of a mental disorder or mental illness, or who has been
adjudicated to be a mentally disordered sex offender
, shall purchase
or receive, or attempt to purchase or receive, or have in his or her
possession, custody, or control any firearm or any other deadly
weapon unless there has been issued to the person a certificate by
the court of adjudication upon release from treatment or at a later
date stating that the person may possess a firearm or any other
deadly weapon without endangering others, and the person has not,
subsequent to the issuance of the certificate, again been adjudicated
by a court to be a danger to others as a result of a mental disorder
or mental illness."

----------

because the same right-wing extremists take their marching orders from the NRA are usually the same Neanderthals doing everything possible to restrict or roll back society's progress when it comes to Gay Rights.
Before you bad mouth the NRA you might want to learn about the history of the NRA.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Sorry it was 60 years(It WAS less then 50 years when I read about it 15 years ago).
In States like California even people that are non-volient with mental disorders can have all guns taken.

"8103. (a) (1) No person who after October 1, 1955, has been
adjudicated by a court of any state to be a danger to others as a
result of a mental disorder or mental illness, or who has been
adjudicated to be a mentally disordered sex offender
, shall purchase
or receive, or attempt to purchase or receive, or have in his or her
possession, custody, or control any firearm or any other deadly
weapon unless there has been issued to the person a certificate by
the court of adjudication upon release from treatment or at a later
date stating that the person may possess a firearm or any other
deadly weapon without endangering others, and the person has not,
subsequent to the issuance of the certificate, again been adjudicated
by a court to be a danger to others as a result of a mental disorder
or mental illness."

----------

Before you bad mouth the NRA you might want to learn about the history of the NRA.

What does being a sex offender have to do with being gay?

----------

He is from the UK. Two points.
Doesn't matter where he is from. He said it only mattered to a minority. Let's say we change the minority to black people. Does what they want matter?