The glass on the BACK of the phone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eeko, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Eeko macrumors regular

I've had no problems with the anodized coating on my black/slate model. I put a screen protector and case on it from day one. Today I was cleaning my phone when I noticed a scratch on the glass by the camera. Upon closer inspection, I started to notice approximately 10 more of the same scratches. They are hairline and all vertical. I've never had this issue with my 4 or 4S anyone else notice this?

These are both on the top and the bottom portions.

2. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you put a screen protector in the back too? Or just the front?
    It has been in a case covering the back glass and still got scratched?

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All vertical? Did the case scratch it while putting it on?

6. Eeko thread starter macrumors regular

That's the only thing I can think of! It's a plastic speck case. I thought the glass was strong enough to not be scratched by plastic. :/

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Normally, yes. Take a cloth or paper towel, can you scratch it on purpose? If so, it could be a defective oleophobic coating. If not, it's an user-inflicted damage from the case.

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Many of the rubber cases are unfinished on the inside and will damage your iphone over time. Choose a case wisely, don't think that a case =protection. Most cases are purely cosmetic and will NOT protect your phone.
    Choose your case wisely!

9. Eeko thread starter macrumors regular

I've rubbed down the phone with a microfiber and it didn't appear to do anything. I'm not sure the backside has an oleophobic coating. They aren't big or deep enough to notice unless you are looking for them. I'm going to ditch the case, and exchange it for a white model within the 30 days.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no oleophobic coating in the back small piece of glass of the i5.
    And the oleophobic coating is not a scratch resisting thing, its a coating process that helps the screen reject skin oils thus preventing smears and smudges from your fingers.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're right about the back not having an oleophobic coating. I'm aware it's not supposed to resist scratch, just makes it easier to wipe fingerprints off. However, if you search for the old threads on past generation iPhone models with defective oleophobic coatings there are photos of them wiping off like crazy with loads of scratches.

It sounds like the OP's case caused the vertical scratches.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I see.
    But in either case since there is no oleophobic coating in the back then I doubt its a "defective" oleophobic coating causing those scratches in the back:D
    Most likelly the case. My old iphone 4 had the patterns of my case in the back glass and those were not going away with cleaning. It was indented/scratched in the glass.

13. robaroo macrumors regular

no scratches on mine. film protector on front and back. wrapping it like a jimmy hat! though, the fact that the back is three piece makes it impossible to get rid of bubbles when filming the back. oh well, small price to pay i guess.