The gloves come off: Maureen Dowd rips Trump apart

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 26, 2017.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I had to cancel my NYT subscription over these kinds of articles. Too much liberal grandstanding, not enough journalism.

2. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's not an article. It's an opinion piece.

3. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

"I had to cancel my subscription over these kinds of opinion pieces" :rolleyes:

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Thanks for your update. Journalism is not required for opinion pieces.

Her words are harsh but they aren't really innacurate. Some irony is that many of those that voted for Trump did because he was blunt. Apparently it's less ok when his opposition is.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Another rag article criticizing Trump as if he had put in his 8 years already.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

7. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah, so since these opinion pieces have come to dominate the New York Times, instead of investigative, unbiased, journalism the paper's quality has gone way down.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Look, @smallcoffee & @Zombie Acorn: I am unable to access, let alone read the article (neither computer will give me access), but two - three - things about your responses strike me.

Have either of you read the piece? If so, is there anything you may wish to rebut in it?

Secondly, is there anything that Mr Trump does that does not meet with your unqualified approval and approbation? In other words - how low can he sink - and he plumbs fresh depths daily - before you will find something to criticise.

Thirdly, I have long thought Mr Trump unfit to hold this office, mentally, morally, psychologically, physically, intellectually, in terms of his horrible temperament and dreadful character - the man is devoid of virtues, and hasn't a single redeeming vice - but his conduct and behaviour since he took office have merely served to confirm my views.

He is a narcissistic vulgarian, devoid of class, intellect, judgment and taste, with the impulse control and temper tantrums of a toddler. His judgment is deplorable, his temperament brittle, his diplomatic skills zero, and his basic competence questionable. He disdains experts, guts government, and petulantly insults and picks fights with allies.

With the House and Senate under GOP control - and the Presidency in his hands - he cannot even secure the passage of a bill designed - vindictively - to repeal the ACA (aka Obamacare). So much for the Art of the Deal. Let's just say, Machiavelli he is not.

And he is not even a hundred days in office.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's not an article

10. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

If you want access, clear your cookies. I think actually just clearing the NYT cookie may do the trick.

Safari -> Preferences -> Privacy -> Cookies and Website Data section -> Select Manage Website Data.

Type New York Times in the search bar and delete the associated cookies and that may work. If not you'll have to delete them all, but you'll have to reenter your password and whatnot on sites like MacRumors.

I skimmed the article, but as was pointed out, it's just an opinion piece. I have better opinions than the person who wrote the article, and on top of that

I mean, look even if you don't like the guy (and I'm no fan) what's the point of this? It's utter crap. Why is anybody reading this?

What am I supposed to rebuke here? It's some shrill's opinion. I don't care what they have to say. I can just say the opposite of this and it's equally valid. Who cares???!?

Trump is not who I would have picked. I voted for Sanders in the primary and then Jill Stein in the election. I dislike strongly some of this actions, for example the whole global climate change denying nonsense. But I also don't like liberals running around whining about stuff that doesn't matter.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

It kind of feels like 8 years of hell so far.

12. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I guess people get confused because normally a newspaper has journalistic articles, but the NYT has sunk so low that these opinion pieces dominate what once were what we referred to as "articles".

You'll have to forgive the occasional confusion as people come to realize this.

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I guess you and another poster got confused when though the piece is labeled opinion.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

LOL. You have better opinions? Funny.

15. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah, like I used to expect quality journalism, but now I just get some moron's (the article writer) low energy opinion.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I stopped reading after I saw the "sucker" part, the article reads like a postmortem of a term when he has only been in office 60 some days.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Trump campaigned on the premise that he was the ultimate dealmaker. That "he alone could fix things."

Dowd's article points out that Trump couldn't even get his Republican "allies" to go along with the HealthCare deal. He didn't even bother to make it appealing to Democrats.

So he's obviously not much of a "dealmaker." He his ability to "fix things" seems somewhat questionable as apparently he didn't even bother to come up with a credible health insurance plan that would appeal to anyone (outside the sort of people who still think Paul Ryan has the answers America is looking for.)

His claim about "draining the swamp" and "having the BEST people" seems like a bad joke, when - in Dowd's words

A motley skeleton crew. I like that, neatly combining two age-old turns of phrase into a new one, oddly apropos for th Trump White House.

But yeah: Trump imagines himself as a latter day Reagan: An entertainer with a bouffant hairdo. But the differences are legion: Reagan was actually optimistic, charming, and bipartisan. Reagan "knew what he didn't know" - and surrounded himself with genuine experts to craft policy. Trump sends his personal lawyer and his son in law to deal with the Israeli-Palestinian question. We'll see how that works out.

Dowd's article was spot on. If you don't like the New York Times for accurate, hard-hitting journalism, op-ed and otherwise - tough cookies. Cause Donald Trump is a disaster.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I hope you saved yourself some agita and dispatched Ms. Dowd's columns to the unread pile during the Bush admin. She was just as bad then. I even own some shares in the NYT but Maureen Dowd has always been a bridge too far for me. For her still even to have that slot she must have more shares than I do. :D

Not saying whatever she wrote in the column isn't on the money. I think she actually knows Trump, more's the pity for him if she raked him over the coals; she's not one to mince words even when she thinks it over first...

Still I'm not the sort to cancel a subscription to a newspaper over an opinion piece. I wouldn't have anything left to read from right or left by now. I've been tempted to cancel my local paper a few times over some right wing cut and paste guy they let have a column, but then I'd have nothing to put on the floor under my boots in the mud season.

19. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Well, I cancelled it a few months ago because it became too much with respect to the opinion pieces. I enjoyed their actual news stories, and all of their travel, lifestyle, and cooking pieces but I just couldn't handle the "opinion" pieces. I have a subscription to the Economist, but I really just keep up to date with local news in the morning, or see random stuff on here. I may renew my subscription to NYT eventually, but they need to tone it down with pieces like the one in the OP. They're just too off-putting for me.

20. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I don't care about corporate media shills having a tantrum. That's not journalism.

21. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Here you go:

=== END QUOTE ===

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's too bad that not everyone can access the Times online.

Because there was a highly illuminating article in yesterday's paper, describing the eighteen hours of Fox News, from 6.00 am to midnight, on Thursday. A day when the AHCA - supposedly one of the biggest goals of Republicans over the past 7 years - was up for a vote.

Because, when its editors sensed it was heading to impending doom - Fox decided to focus on something else entirely.

Instead, they switched to coverage of a rape case in Maryland, where one of the accused was a teenage immigrant. The fact that this wasn't front-page news in the NYT was touted (on Fox) as evidence of the duplicity of the hated main stream media. The story got almost hourly updates on Fox,. And was pushed as proof of Trump's calls for tighter borders and restricted immigration. (The thousands of other rapes that don't get reported, and are committed by natural born rapists, somehow being irrelevant in Fox viewers shallow brainpans.)

The London Parliament attack also got a lot of airplay. Fox commentators remarking about London's "Muslim Mayor", They mocked the British police for not carrying firearms. And they suggested (again) about how this incident justified Trump's calls for tighter borders and bans on immigration. Somehow ignoring the fact that the London attacker was born in Britain.

Fox News has been filling its viewer's heads with nonsense and misinformation for a couple of decades now. And our politics, and our society will continue to pay the price for it.

23. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

Objectively, can it be worse than the past several decades of time-wasting, useless nonsense that has amounted to less than a hill of beans?

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

For the benefit of those who can't get to the op-ed, here it is:

Can't say that I disagree with any of her points...except perhaps the one about Reagan knowing what he didn't know.