The Good News about a Premium Piced iPad Mini? Premium Specs!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appswipe, Sep 12, 2012.

1. appswipe macrumors 6502

The iPod Touch pricing definitely put a damper on the theory that Apple will be competing on price. But there is some good news here... :D

IF it even exists, the Mini as a premium priced product ($399?) will have premium specs. At this price there's no cheating out so well get a modern processor, camera and a retina screen so no compromises and the Mini will be geared primarily towards people who care more about size than price. (Yes, there are some people like that out there that don't like the 9.7" screen)

Everyone wins except the kids (who'll be recieving Nexus 7s or Kindle Fires because there's no chance I'd buy them a $399 iPad Mini.)

2. mantan, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

mantan macrumors 68000

If the mini isnt competitive on price, a large share of the market will either buy a competing device, spring for the iPad or just skip the purchase.

Portability was nice, but price was what was going to move a ton of these.

3. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

The one spec that is the most important is the screen resolution. Their only options are 1024x768 and 2048x1536. Only logical that they use 1024x768 and that's not worth the premium price compared to a Nexus 7 or Kindle HD.

4. appswipe thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. I was just trying to put a positive spin on what seems to be bad news for the Mini crowd. I actually sold my iPad 3 in anticipation for this and went back to my iPad 2. I got all my money back and could by a 3 again but I just don't want a big screen anymore unless its a full computer (like the surface). So now I've got $700 burning a hole in y pocket and nothing to buy (I'm passing on iPhone5 also due to my city not listed on the rollout schedule for sprint)

5. Techwriter macrumors regular

I never believed the $199 or $249 iPad Mini rumors. I expected $299 for 16GB and $399 for 32GB and I still do (if they release one, of course).

I also expected a front and rear camera, an A5 processor, and Siri iOS 6 capability. What I questioned was Retina. Would Apple include it at that price point. They could, but to do it, they'd have to lower the profit margin they're used to getting.