The GOP and Healthcare - Are they losing it?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 7, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I have to ask who the genius was behind this tweet storm the other day?

They control all branches of the government - are trying to create this bill behind closed doors but seemingly want to blame the Democrats for not bringing anything to the table. I think you have to be invited to the table first? Also - it seems that if Obamacare (ACA) and the democrats failed "so badly" then why do they need their help? They've had 7+ years to come up with something.

So what do they do? They start posting videos of Hillary and Bill Clinton - asking where/what their plan is. That's just sad/desperate. Their guy won. Again - they control the branches. And they are trying to call out a past President and the candidate that lost for their "help"?

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 9.23.50 AM.png

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Same as Brexit. The idea that healthcare in the US sucks is more than valid. Just the replacement idea hasn't been properly analysed.

3. VulchR, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The GOP controls both the Congress and the Presidency now, after having carried out guerilla legislative tactics under Obama. Moreover, Obamacare is actually RomneyCare by another name. The GOP owns the issue of health care now. I hope they come up with some viable solutions to the problems the system is facing. More likely, though, they just vote in a juicy tax cut for the rich in the guise of health care reform. Then they'll pay for it during the upcoming elections....

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That hope wouldn't be based on anything we've seen up to this point. What you're really hoping for is the Republican Party to transform into a whole different entity. But as it's been pointed out, they control all branches of government. So they have no reason to change.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Hope ≠ prediction.... :(

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the problem is a lot of them came into office in 2010 and later and had little to no prior government experience so now you have a majority that doesn't know how to govern anymore since all they've ever done is obstruct and take symbolic votes that they know will have no consequences because they will be vetoed.

The current congress is an example of why term limits for congress would be a bad idea.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yet so many citizens value the outsider, non-professional politicians.

It looks to me that segment of the population has exactly what they wanted.

Everything ... except the results.

8. zin macrumors 6502

They should still put up their own bill. They're doing what the Republicans did with Obamacare.

Even Bernie Sanders said it's a valid criticism.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably didn't have to govern if they were elected since 2006.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2017 ---
    They did. Obamacare.

10. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ok, but here's the thing; people around where I live have not seen any amazing improvements in their lives over the last eight years. Incomes are not rising, jobs are going away, an opioid epidemic is on the rise. So what if Republicans screw up health care? It isn't like that's going to change much around here.

It'll require an amazing effort by the Republicans to utterly destroy the livelihoods of the folks here in the Midwest to push them towards the Democrats again. Really, since things don't improve much out here no matter who is in power, the "change" promised by Trump is about as heartening a message as anything else anybody else is saying.

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

They should. However the GOP's smear campaign and trying to blame them Dems for the problems they (the GOP) are creating now is a farce. Tweeting out the failure that the ACA is - and then a series of tweets featuring Hillary and Bill (specifically) is so off base. And that has nothing to do with partisan politics or my personal leanings. Hillary isn't President and right now has no input into drafting a bill. Some of the other tweets are at least valid targets.

But the GOP blasted the Dems and the ACA. They said they has a better plan. They have failed miserably to get anything passed. So now their solution is to blame the Dems?

Newsflash - the call is coming from inside the house. In case you don't get the cultural reference - the problem in getting something passed is not the Dems. The GOP itself can't agree. If they want to "solve" the problem with a horrible or great healthcare plan, then they need to worry about their own party accepting it. The Dems have been marginalized. How is it that the ACA happened "without" (and I say that sarcastically) the Republicans - but the GOP can't get their own bills further along?

12. noekozz, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

7 years fighting for a replacement, now they control everything and realize it's not just about repealing, since that's all they were concentrating on. Unfortunately there are many Red states that benefit from Obamacare the same as they do from government assistance, so let them go at it. If they cannot unite over one piece of legislation, I don't see how much is going to get passed even with the 51 vote rule. The problem was and still is the issue of replacement, repeal is the easy part, meanwhile the average Trump voter thinks Obamacare and the ACA are two different things, go figure.

I find it ironic that Republicans control both House and Senate, yet when things aren't getting anywhere due to internal bickering, they somehow bring up Hillary as the reason for their failures. .

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Which Hillary Clinton is now admitting is broken. It's been broken since inception and they authored it.

It's a valid point. I personally wouldn't make it because it comes off as whiny finger pointing, but it's still valid.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think you understand how Congress works. You have to pass them through committees, which are controlled by Republicans, who would never advance those bills in the first place.
    o_O It's going to kick millions of Americans off of healthcare.

You don't think that doesn't amount to much change?
    You just did. :rolleyes:

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Uh...no I didn't. The OP did.

I'm saying is that the point that the OP made is valid.

16. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah, they'll come up with some sort of mechanism to keep everyone happy for a little while longer, even if only for a year and a half. Once reelected, they can finish the job...

But in any case, so what? What's the big difference between unaffordable health care and unaffordable health care? If you have no job and no future, this is just another argument about how many angels can stand on the head of a pin.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When you say twice that a point is valid, you're making, or at the very least corroborating, a point

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I never said anything. I posted a screen cap from the GOPs twitter account. My point was about the GOP looking desperate for someone to blame when the problem is inside their own house.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't know what world you're living in.

So what? Who cares? What's the worst thing that could happen?

Right?

:confused:

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Reiterating someone else's point is not "making a point".

The point was already made. I stated that it was valid.

The post was very simple. No need to try to discern some deep, hidden meaning from it.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

My mistake. I meant the post that @zin made, not yours.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's pathetic that they are dragging Hillary into this. That is pretty desperate. You know their bill is in trouble when they do things like that and also when Mitch talks to people (yesterday) about what to do if they can't get the votes. That's not how the leader of a chamber talks when they have a winning hand.

But don't worry republicans...you'll always have your stupid premature rose garden victory lap. :rolleyes:

IMG_3780.JPG

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Reiterating someone's point and twice calling it "valid" is certainly making/corroborating that point.

Sorry to disagree. But you won't change my mind, and I know I won't change yours.

25. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hey, McConnell just said yesterday "if we can't repeal Obamacare, we'll fix it." So yeah, he's not planning on dumping millions of people off of health care any time soon.