The GOP comedy show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Aug 5, 2015.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The debate tomorrow will be interesting where it's a chance for republicans to show America where they stand on the issues but it's going to revert to an "attack the front runner" roast.

Strategists working for the main GOP candidates are proclaiming to CNN just how important sticking to issues with specifics are and downplaying the Donald.

My guess is that the southern states dominated GOP mantra of guns, god, and church routine won't defend them when they go against a real estate tycoon from the nastiest market on the planet. Trump will just wipe them out if it becomes a dog fight and then more undecided republican voters will back the man because they will feel sorry for him but also enjoy the verbal victory he will get. It will be an establishment, business as usual bunch of thugs trying to take down the new guy.

Anyway it will be interesting to watch. No matter what happens independents will likely put up higher numbers for both Sanders and Clinton the day after the debate.

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I predict the debate will be a bloodbath with Trump coming out on top. The other GOP candidates sticking to talking points and trying to grill Trump on specifics will only play into his hands. All Trump needs to do is exude confidence and continue to make unrealistic promises while demeaning the other candidates and the GOP base will eat it up like red meat. Demagoguery sells.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Honey boo boo
    The Crapdashians
    Jersey shore
    Jerry springer

Morons love a good train wreck, if the elections were held American idol style you would get more people to vote

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I just wanna see Trump and Christie go at it.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I think the really sad part about it is this..

We know that this is going to definitely be low brow, and almost to the point of lacking class. And the worst part of it all is that they know it and are going to keep saying the most outlandish things they can; not because they can get away with it... but because of the fact that they can say it and be protected not only by the 1A, but behind the company of SS agents that most accompany them.

Keep in mind that all of those who declare themselves as candidate for POTUS are put under the protection of the Secret Service. So in essence, they now have their own bodyguards for the duration of the electoral process, or until they drop out, whichever is shorter.

BL.

6. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Not true until 120 days before the general election.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I was going to sit home and watch the debate, but I think I'll go to a Hillary campaign meeting instead.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have to be up at 4am tomorrow so I'm going to DVR it. Can't miss what is shaping up to be the comedy event of the year.

9. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, the sad part about this is it airs after Jon Stewart's final Daily Show is taped. He couldn't hang on for just one more week.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm still not over that. It's devastating. He'll be back I just know it.

12. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So you mean he needs to start acting like a politician.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I know, bad timing.

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It will depend on the moderation. I would like to see how Trump does in a well-moderated situation. On the other hand a free-for-all would be more entertaining.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I predict this crappy comedy will have terrible reviews and a short run before being cancelled, but then it will be shown as reruns until 2016. ;)

16. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Pretty sure that was the point, getting out before needing to start one more soul crushing indecision xxxx segment.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I see moderation being heavily trumped(pun intended).

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

No, the difference between a politician and Trump is that politicians knowingly make promises on things they can't deliver. Trump on the other hand, blinded by his ego, unknowingly makes promises on things he can't deliver.

19. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

One couldn't have worse timing. Why leave the Daily Show now?

Trump is so outrageous that no matter what he says that should enrage the republicans (being pro-single payer healthcare, pro-gay marriage, saying John McCain isn't a war hero, attacking Perry on the border issues, not being a particular fan of the bible belt beliefs, etc), he gets away with it. What people love, and hate about Trump is his delivery. Stewart can have a lot of fun on this one, both pro-Trump and anti-GOP establishment, and of course, anti-Trump.

Trump could come out and decide that Planned Parenthood is the best thing in the world and that Obamacare was right all along, and he would lead the GOP as long as he keeps his brash, anti-Washington behavior intact. Trump has the luxury of saying literally anything, left or right, and getting away with it as long as he appears to be an outsider. The early Tea Party got a lot of mileage bashing the republican led war machine and endless spending rallying a lot of libertarians, before the GOP establishment took over the Tea Party and only let pro-GOP people remain there.

Did we wonder where all that hatred was against the GOP led congress all these months? It's right here and embodied in Mr. Trump.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

One of the little tricks they teach people at interrogation school is this: Promise the subject whatever he wants to hear: He won't get into trouble. You'll cut a deal with the judge or the prosecutor. He'll be doing himself a favor.

It doesn't matter if what you tell the subject is complete and utter baloney. Because later on, he'll be in no position to argue about it.

That is basically Donald Trump's modus operandi. In both his business ventures; and in the way he is approaching his campaign. Promise people whatever they want to hear: Building a golf resort will bring thousands of jobs! It'll be great for the environment. It'll jump start the entire economy! And if the deal goes south - you can always blame someone else. The bankers, the other investors. The eco-loonies. Rest assured - if you're Donald Trump, you'll walk away unscathed. Its for the chumps, the little people, and those foolish enough to be his willing co-conspirators to pay the bills.

Every con-man knows the easiest mark is the sucker who thinks he's going to get something for nothing. And its not like the Republican voter doesn't have a soft spot for the grifter.

Does Donald Trump really think that Mexican and Chinese politicians are going to be cowed by The Donald's awesome wealth, power and prestige that they'll just cave in? Agree to stop taking our jobs, sending us their migrant workers. And pony up the cash for the great Border Wall?

21. 63dot, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Complete Trump meltdown, but with help from Fox.

They were definitely targeting him making him try to pledge not to run independently if another won, but Trump pissed off crowd and showed off his ego. Of course Trump will go third party, but why different than a similar Ross Perot?

Also Paul sniped at him saying Trump buys politicians. Billionaires do.

Trump went off on Mexico but wouldn't go specific when Fox cornered him as to evidence of Mexican government in on illegal immigration.

Hot mess.

Trump got killed early not getting specific.

But Trump's combativeness got big points when he put Paul in his place by saying, "You're not having a good night, tonight" when Paul mistook Trump's long winded speech. Paul was going for a cheap shot and Trump slammed him which Paul deserved. Comedy, yes, but like most of tonight no political substance.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I disagree with everyone in the election.

That's the essence of being an American.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Everyone knows this, yet somehow he is wildly popular among the stupid.

25. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I admire you - seriously - for putting your assessment out there quickly, in real time, as opposed to waiting for soundbites from HuffingtonPost or the like to regurgitate when the coast is clear.