The GOP is scared to death that Trump will win nomination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/271044-mcconnell-preps-senators-to-run-against-trump

This could get really interesting as the GOP starts to implode from within.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The GOP seems to think a Trump nomination = a Hillary win. Either one is bad for america.

Double edged sward, the GOP needs to be taken down in it's current form, but is it worth it if the end result is Hillary. This is why we need Bernie to really pick up states.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I don't think Hillary will be the absolute worst case scenario, though it's not something I'm exactly rooting for. Her presidency would probably be another 4-8 years of the same ole BS we've been putting up with since Reagan.

I guess the only good news to more of the status quo would probably be an even more varied field come next election season.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Or Bernie.

Regardless of who wins the GOP primary, it's more likely the Democrats aren't going to bother to vote, or make an unprecedented use of the "write-in" field, thus allowing a GOP victory since it's already been shown the GOP has been quite active so far. Can't blame 'em.

Trump will likely win and, let's face it, people expected a lot of change after 2008. We ended up with more status quo and compromise - compromise is necessary and some good has been achieved, but it's not been as stellar as anyone had thought. After x number of republicans were brought in by Obama, asked to be brought in, or policies adopted, maybe it's chess but he lost a lot of sympathy from the Democrats - which is a part as to why they're so apathetic right now.

And Trump and Kasich both make some good points. Kasich isn't going to make it, I fear, but it's easy to see why Trump has managed to do so well. He's pointed out a lot of the problems. So have others, but people believe those that cite the issues can and will do something positive about them if elected.

The upcoming debates will be very interesting to pay attention to. Trump doesn't always get his facts right, but the same is said for the other politicians running because Politifact, Factcheck, Snopes, etc, all point out fluffs, exaggerations, mistakes, fibs, perceived scandals, real scandals, cookie dough, and so on. And, to be frank, charisma is as important as any other trait. All the folks running have it. Like I said, the upcoming debates will be interesting. Because, for varying reasons, I could easily for for any of the frontrunners if they got the nomination.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

This is the same guy who said "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." I suspect he's gone a bit power mad, and wants a candidate who will just sign whatever he sends to him.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

GOP is warning of a Hillary win so that a typical Republicrat gets in there and does what the typical Republicrat always does, which is to kowtow to the likes of Koch Brothers and whomever else has the bucks to buy influence with.

8. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I didn't vote for Obama twice, but I do have to say there are a few things he has done in office that I like. One I do like that he has loosen up on Cuba and is trying to have open relations with Cuba after 50+ years. I like that he hasn't started any wars and is trying bring the two wars to an end. This means more and more troops will be coming home and less unnecessary lives being lost. Sure there are many things that I don't like about Obama, such as Obamacare for one.
    If it's between Trump and Clinton, I'm leaning towards Clinton even if it pains me so. There is something about Trump that I just don't trust and I don't like all of the blustering that he does. Just my .02 cents.

I'm not scared of Trump winning the GOP, I'm scared of what happens if he wins the Presidency.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Stride64, what do you call Libya, Ukraine, Syria and Yemen, if we didn't start or support wars, subvert a democratically-elected government, or provide arms to ISIS and the Saudis? Obama/Clinton/Kerry foreign policy has directly caused thousands of deaths and millions of refugees.

Bernie's ideas would eventually make us another Venezuela. Hillary and the Republicrat NeoCons would get so "tough" with Putin that a shooting war is a real threat. At least the Trumpster isn't making warhawk noises; he's spoken of having what seems to be reasonable discussion with the Russians.

Trump's support comes from the gazillions of fed-up folks who are presenting the Royal Order of the Rigid Digit to the Ineptocracy which has caused our economic misery.

10. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Such a horrible election year, as to choices.

It's time for three parties... the Looney Tunes Left, the Looney Tunes Right, and the Sane Moderates.

11. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Yes both the left and the right are freaking out * OMG he won't take our money! - we can't control him!, OMG and the hundred of millions we dumped on losers can't do anything?? Even worst he doesn't want WW3? Outrageous!

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

I can't wait for the Hillary vs Donald debates later on this year. I am curious how she will handle him. This will be interesting.

13. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

So...

If "the Donald" somehow wins the presidency, how long will it take for his picture to replace old Ben on the $100 bill (assuming it isn't outlawed because "only illegal transactions" are conducted with $100 bills)?

14. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Your going too far.... Trump's hair would not fit on the $bill.

15. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The best candidate on either side is John Kasich. He has experience working with Congress as a Congressman and executive experience as a Governor. He appears smart, knowledgeable, and conservative in a common sense way. I don't think there would be many people who would fear him running things unless they were on the right or left edges of the political spectrum. He's 63 so he has wisdom, but still young enough to have the energy needed to be President. Last, his record isn't littered with scandals whether as a Government official or a business person.

I don't expect the current GOP base to get behind him because they seem to be looking for someone who makes shocking statements (whether true or false) while yelling at each other, but in the last debate it was pretty clear who would be a good steady executive out of that bunch. I'd run him with Rubio as the VP and win the General in the fall, but that's just me.

16. 1458279 Suspended

Don't you know the rules? Your not supposed to use facts against the Dems, it makes them angry.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    If the GOP crosses it's voters, they'll have to decide if they want Rubio or Trump/Cruz. They've already said they want Trump/Cruz and not Rubio. Hillary or Rubio will screw things up. Hillary has no clue how to run and economy and Rubio will fall for the Left's tricks.

The GOP voters would have to sit the election out in huge numbers in order to teach them a lesson. We got rid of two VERY powerful RINOS already and we'll get rid of as many more as is needed.

It's kinda ironic, if the GOP stabs Trump, it'll have the same effect as if Trump ran Independent. I'm sure they're scared.

Good news is that fear is a motivator, now it's up to them to accept the wishes of the people they serve.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I go back to their actions when they aren't running for president. Bernie seems more respectable than the others in that regard. He tends to vote against wars and firearms restrictions that have no chance of being upheld.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I agree, I'm hoping Kasich can pull off a few wins to have enough delegates to be in a position to get the nomination at a brokered convention. At this point I don't think anyone other than Trump can win the nomination outright before the convention, but enough people hate Trump that he might not be able to win it either. If it comes to a brokered convention, Paul Ryan might be a decent choice for the nominee that the party could fall in line behind.

19. 1458279 Suspended

I think if it goes brokered, they run the very real risk of destroying the party. There's a lot of pissed of people in the GOP right now.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Trump as the nominee runs the same risk. And where will they go, most of them won't suddenly become Democrats.

21. 1458279 Suspended

On the surface, this seems like a tough spot, but they have to go with the wishes of the voters. People in the GOP are all over the spectrum, and it seems that Trump is bringing in more from the center than anyone else.

I think the regular GOP voters are mad enough to go with Trump.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there's talk of trouble for Trump already;

link

23. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

One wonders which definition of mad is most appropriate.

24. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Mostly agree with you but I don't think they're that inept. One has to actually try to demonstrate ineptitude and true service is simply not in their repertoire. Our political class (a term that should be recognized as an oxymoron) are arrogant, disconnected, privileged, lazy, mealy mouthed, self-serving, lacking in empathy and cowardly. They have actually demonstrated some talent in milking us to the point of ruination in what for them was a long, good ride. The obvious truth of this is the source of Trump's appeal. Whether or not he's really any different is a question mark but I think it's obvious at this point that he's going to be the next POTUS. Those who belittle his chances are in denial.

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The Clinton's play dirty on a level that Trump has yet to see.