The GOP response to Obama's Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NT1440, Feb 24, 2009.

1. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Anyone else watching? Thoughts/opinions?

To me it seems like this Jindhal guy is talking down to everyone.

2. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Not watching, but it's pretty clear he's being groomed for the next presidential election.

3. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

Yup. The GOP is doing exactly what it usually does, miss the point entirely.

Case in point: The new RNC leader.

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Obama won because he's black....right :rolleyes:

5. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats what they think apparently, their solution: Get a black guy. Too bad they still hold the same values that they always have.

6. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

"We want to convey that the modern-day GOP looks like the conservative party that stands on principles. But we want to apply them to urban-surburban hip-hop settings."

"We need to uptick our image with everyone, including one-armed midgets."

- newly-anointed RNC chairman Michael Steele, for real

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

He was using Katrina as an example of inefficient, useless big government....wasn't the Katrina response a big Bush (and thus more or less Republican) screw-up?

The Republicans seem to be planning to move farther to the right in response to the Democrats' strong position in Washington. I don't like the sound of that.

8. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

I do. The more the Republicans regionalize and marginalize themselves as a party, the better. They've shown no indication that they understand anything about why Obama swept the election - they're flailing about, making superficial changes (Steele, Jindal, Palin), with no deeper vision. Good riddance.

9. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

+1

The days of the GOP as we know it are numbered. Little fact, the WORLD is becoming more liberal as universal acceptance grows and will continue to grow.

10. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Did anyone else think Jindal looked a little awkward as he approached the camera? I'm a little surprised that after Obama talked for an hour and a half about strengthening the economy and recovering with bipartisan efforts, the new face of the GOP talks smack about the democratic party for his entire speech. I'm pretty sure that whomever wrote campaign speeches for McCain wrote Jindal's speech as well.

11. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

His tone was the most off putting, he seemed like he was trying to speak calmly to the elderly or something.

The substance would have been more off putting, but i know what to expect by now.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

True - but if the GOP voters follow the party to the right the possibility of a future administration leaning even farther to the right than Bush & Co. exists - and that is a scary thought.

13. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

A friend of mine said he talked like he was reading a book to children. I think he would have freaked a child out, though.

14. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats exactly what it felt like, condescending.

15. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I think the point he was trying to make is that government doesn't do emergencies, including economic ones, very well, irrespective of what party is in control. My guess is that the response to Katrina would have been even worse if democrats had been in control. :D

16. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i think that the GOP desprately needs to rebrand them selves or face death.

17. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

That's the thing - they won't. It's not like the voters were following Bush to the right in 2000. He campaigned on "compassionate conservatism," which was supposed to be a way to temper the harsh Republican image with a hint of progressive empathy and make Bush more appealing to moderates/centrists. It turned out to be crap, of course, but the point was that he (or at least his campaign manager) knew that a straight-up conservative Republican platform wouldn't be enough to win the general election. And after an Obama presidency, there's no way an even further-right platform would stand a ghost of a chance, even if the progressive sea-changes that have defined human history somehow magically disappeared.

18. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm willing to bet that millions of Americans won't forget what party was at the top during Katrina though.

What is your guess based off of?

19. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Thats the problem. He even mentioned that in the speech. A good president shouldn't be worried about that at all.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well if you "guess" I don't see how anyone can argue that point :p

21. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

You might be surprised how well they do in future elections now that Bush is gone. Might it be that the hatred of Bush/Cheney and their unique style of running things, rather than a strong rejection of traditional republican ideals, was the primary factor for Obama's victory and the major swing to the left in the last two congressional elections?

22. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I think that they need to tell young people that it is hip to preserve freedoms, have the govenment spend less, support american biz, and keep Uncle sam outta our life.

They havent told me yet. last i was told it was cool to like Obama.:cool:

23. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

The problem is that the GOP image is destroyed in the eyes of this generation. As we reach voting age thats gonna be a hell of a problem for the GOP.

24. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

agreed. everyone else at school either is a complete uptight republican(cause i go to a "rich" private school and they are just mimicking their parents) or are "cool" and like obama.

25. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

And Bush has provided an encyclopedia's worth of material that any Democratic candidate can bring up - and it will stick, because the Republicans controlled all three branches of government during Bush's tenure. No one else to blame. It's a rock-solid, eight-year clump of crap that can be loaded into a speechwriter's cannon and fired whenever they please.