The GOP White, Old, and Dying.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, May 21, 2012.

1. AP_piano295, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/21/politics/gop-census-latino/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

We spend a-lot of time worrying about the GOP taking over in this country but I think there's a-lot of evidence that their power is only going to decline going forward.

Rising generations are :

More educated
    Less religious
    More tolerant
    More racially diverse etc.

Perhaps the power of the Republican party peaked with the rise and aging of the baby boomers. But the baby boomers are starting to die and in the coming years they are only going to die faster.

Perhaps there is a "liberal future" for America, but that future might involve climbing over the corpses of the old dead bigots whose only real virtue is a high probability of getting out to vote.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I honestly don't know. The U.S. Southern States and certain Western States seem to be teaming with "conservatives" young and old ready to lap up the standard GOP slop.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What, is the PSRI forum not liberal enough, you need to expand this crap to the Community forum?

4. TPadden macrumors 6502a

If you aren't liberal when you are young you are heartless; if you aren't conservative when old you are brainless :).

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah but the "How tall are you?" forum is in PSRI. :confused:

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

I agree.

However, to the OP, as someone who views himself as an independent (a voter who votes on issues and candidates, not parties), I have to disagree. I'm still young - 23, 2011 college grad, full-time salaried employee in Chicago - and what I've seen from my friends/social network is that since the '08 Obama election is the exact opposite. Who knows? Maybe it's just my network of friends and friends' friends.

The GOP youth seemed to realize the power of grassroots campaigns and influence of the 18-34 demographic if it can get that demographic to tune in and hit the voting booths. I've seen a huge surge in the past few years of College Republican movements, blogs and groups aimed at the 18-34 (and especially 18-24) bracket. People from NYC, Chicago, St. Louis and in between (sorry, don't really have friends in the South, besides 2-3 people down there for grad school).

When you compare that to the youth that feel marginalized between 2008-present and are no longer out in droves (still a "yet"/to be seen) for Obama 2012, it's hard to come to such a conclusion as "the GOP is dying!" Another flip side to that remark is that so is the old guard of unions and laborers that traditionally are Democrat loyalists. People my age will be more likely to never work for a union. Kind of lost my train of thought - basically there's a lot more to it than "oh man, there's more old people, old people are usually conservative, most old people are GOPers, GOP is in trouble!"

7. 184550 Guest

That's something I've noticed as well in the past couple of weeks from various commentators in PRSI.

8. kavika411, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Oh! Oh! Oh! I wanna play!

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There comes a point where calling those you don't agree with "bigots" might begin to betray a little intolerance.

Time Travel, I've cracked it at last!

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Don't you know? Calling someone with whom you disagree a bigot is the new pink.

Uh oh. I just said pink. If I say pink in the same sentence as "bowling ball," then I'm a bigot.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Too bad you don't pay attention to everything you read... see the OP, it was there in bold letters when you posted your reply.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Or perhaps he/she wrote the reply and there was a delay in its posting for some reason.

Or perhaps it's easier to assume he/she did it real-time and simply guessed it was heretofore posted in the Community forum. I'm sure he/she is that bored.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

True...but the GOP either must evolve or die. They cannot continue to push minorities away and cannot continue to be anti-gay. So one way or another, the GOP as we know it currently WILL die out. In 50 years, or maybe even 25 the Republican Party will look nothing like it does now.

Intolerance of the intolerant? For me at least, I only use that word to refer to people who target minorities and want to take other people's rights away through ballot boxes or legislative action. I think it is well deserved.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Even in those places the GOP is mostly the older people. The younger more educated crowd is turning against them. Mind you that same crew see the dems as pathiced as well.

Lets faces it both parties suck. It has been a long time since we voted for the better candidate. We vote for the smaller of two huge piles of crap so we still have crap in office just a smaller pile of it.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

I think it's all about who you keep as friends. I have maybe, MAYBE a handful of friends who would even consider voting GOP at the moment. And those who are on the GOP bandwagon are hardcore about it. 95% of my other friends and acquaintances can't stand the current GOP party. I'm 37 BTW.

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I think as religiosity continues to decline, the Republican party will move more towards conservative values in an organizational and fiscal sense, and focus less on social values which are more religious than conservative.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So to the cowardly person who downrated my post without replying, what do you take issue with:

1) That the GOP will have to change or die out? That's a fact. If the demographics are no longer there to support you, you must reach new demographics. You will not do so by continuing to do things in the same old way. There simply will not be enough homophobic voters to carry an election in future years. The days of gay scapegoating and using gays as a fundraising and motivational tool are numbered. We are witnessing the last gasp of that. And the same applies to other minorities...if you are not reaching out to latino and black voters enough, which they aren't, then how will elections be won in the future?

2) That trying to take away other people's rights is a bigoted move? I'm of the opinion that hey..if you don't like gay marriage, great...then don't have one! If you don't like onions on your pizza, don't eat 'em! But you shouldn't have the right to decide for others what they eat on their pizza, or whom they marry. It's none of your business. And yes...it's bigoted to involve yourself in other people's lives that way.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This a million times over.

Whoever downvoted you is obviously a closet homosexual who hates themselves so bad they try and distance themselves from it, kind of like the marine dad in American Beauty.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's part of a cultural exchange program. We send one of our threads to a forum where people don't care about politics; they send us a thread about trivial ****.

And then PRSI's cranky old people come out and yell at us to get out of their yard. ;)

Anyway. Yes, a core GOP group of older Americans is dying off. But they'll still have most of the rich people, as well as their base of spectacularly misinformed middle-aged white guys. The former will spend unspeakable amounts of money to keep the latter misinformed and then make sure they show up at the voting booths.

Be interesting to see if minorities and young people can and will show up in greater numbers. I have to admit, the 2008 election aside, I don't see a ton of motivation from youth. And I'm tired of waiting to see Occupy try to decide what it wants to be when it grows up. For god sakes, young people, you don't hold a candle to the involved young folks of the '60s. If you'd've just showed up in November 2010, we could've avoided the last two horrible tea-soaked years.

22. Queso macrumors G4

The GOP won't die, but with any luck it will lose Teh Crazy and start moving back towards the middle ground of politics (note: the ACTUAL middle, not the current US definition of middle which is actually just right-wing). The Dems can then become a real centre-left party rather than a pretend one, which means the American electorate will begin to get a choice again as to where they put their vote.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The modern GOP is built on two historical political successes: the Southern Strategy and Reaganomics. Both those strategies are well past their sell-by dates and have frankly begun to smell. The internal Tea Party coup is built primarily out of the ranks of coat-tail riders, people with no vision of their own whose only hope is to dig up the corpses of past successes and then run them right back into the ground in hyperbolic emulation.

The Southern Strategy has had to be adapted to target homophobes instead of "negrophobes," naturally, and more's the irony how hopeful they were that gay rights issues would win them a significant share of the black vote. Clearly they miscalculated just how much, and for how long, being promoted in public as an object of fear and hate to win votes among bigots pisses people off (imagine that). The GOP's apology for their past cynicism rings somewhat hollow in light of their present cynicism.

And Reaganomics, frankly I think it's hilarious how the Tea Party types tried to rationalize the idea that the solution to the miserable failure of "give all the money to rich people and don't tax or regulate them" is "give all the money to rich people and don't tax or regulate them." The chickens of that economic policy have come home to roost in the form of kids who can't find jobs to pay for the educations they couldn't afford, only to be called "lazy" or even stupid for having done what their parents raised them to believe was the key to future success and prosperity (which, for them, it was). That kind of abuse leaves a mark. Those kids will never accept a worldview that tells them the only motive that matters is the profit motive. The success of Reaganomics is contingent on the assumption that people are smart enough to realize on their own that if you want to keep milking the cow, you need to feed it once in a while. It's beneficiaries have proven conclusively how naively charitable that assumption is. Instead they turned out a special breed of narcissists who internalized the idea that wealth made them too special for rules to apply, who came to believe "when you're as rich as I am, there are always more cows." Keep in mind that, at the strained edges of this metaphor, the cows vote.

Take away cynical exploitation of bigotry and failed economic policies, and what's left for the GOP to stand for? This isn't snark; I really want to know. And if you're at all interested in the future of the GOP, then so should you.

24. mcrain, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Here's the thing. I think everyone has biases and prejudices that they struggle with, but when those influence decisions and laws that affect others, then it is important to point that out.

If I disagree with your position on taxes, medicare, or welfare, the differences are worth discussing without name-calling. However, if the reason we disagree is because you believe homosexuals don't deserve equal rights, or because all black people are lazy, then we don't disagree over policy, we disagree because of a prejudice or bias that can't be bridged.

In a world of ideas, anyone reading these threads and trying to make up their mind should be able to see when an argument isn't about which idea is better, but based instead on a desire to screw over a group based solely on prejudice.

Skunk, I don't mean to direct any of ^^ at you. In fact, you're right. I have become pretty intolerant of the GOP's anti-gay rhetoric, and I'm certain I've seen intolerance and prejudice where there might not have been any intended. This wouldn't be as big a problem if the GOP had not actively tried to court voters based on prejudiced arguments. They have turned Democrats into the chicken littles of bigotry, except in this case, there is a long history of the sky falling.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fixed that for you. :D

But seriously, has it not always been the case that conservatives are older?