The GOP's Bathroom Problem

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here we go again:

The Nation

I don't really have much to say about this. We've been all over the self-loathing thing with Ted Haggard and Mark Foley already. Just thought it interesting that two more Republicans had inadvertently outed themselves...and I thought that Lee and the other gay folks, as well as the pro-gay straights here, might find this amusing.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's not even surprising at this point. That's what self loathing will do. It's also not surprising that he was another one of those spearheading anti-gay policy.

At this point, me thinks thou doth protest too much should be said whenever any of these guys pull stuff like that.

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Learn something new, every day. I'd never heard of the code. Reminds me of an old song. Tap Three Times if you want me in the men's room. Seems that the GOP is not at the top of their game.

4. Queso macrumors G4

If they weren't Republican politicians they would be able to walk into any gay bar, get whatever they wanted out of it (including a one-night stand with another man if that's why they were there), then move on. But because they've trapped themselves by their own choices, their careers and the lies they believe that entails, the only outlet they now have open is toilet-trading with others trapped in the closet, or preying on interns in the case of Foley.

Over here, the Conservative Party appears to have finally realised that you can share traditionalist political views with someone who has a different sexuality to you. As such, frontbenchers such as Alan Duncan can be openly gay yet still speak for the party as a whole. The Republicans need to work this out if these incidents are going to stop being the embarrassment to the party they currently are.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Isn't that a Tony Orlando and Dawn song?

I read this on CNN and knew it was going to be on MR this morning. :p

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

You don't even have to be a self-loather, you can just be an evil hypocrite with an agenda. We could learn this from people like Roy Cohn, for instance. That man thought very highly of himself, but he was indeed of the "thou doth protestith" variety.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I don't either other than to say it's trashy news unworthy of being a thread. :cool:

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if they are living in real life to torture themselves, i guess they won't feel bad in hell anyway.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Maybe, maybe.

It would be funny if every time some senator or representative got up to propose an anti-gay piece of legislation, a member of the opposing party said, "Why are you introducing this bill? Are you gay?" :D

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. Queso macrumors G4

Or oh bugger, that's a dear..

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Check out the ads appearing at the top and bottom of this page.

Wonder what was the keyword that triggered them? "Gay"? Or "Republican"? :D

Attached Files:

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's definitely newsworthy and needs to be brought to light. These people need to be exposed for the hypocrites they are.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Erm, none of us are getting that. Are you sure it's not just your web surfing habits causing a cookie match? :D

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How is this trashy news? An elected official, who is elected because he has the trust of the people who elected him, is an outright liar and law breaker, not to mention a hypocrite. People deserve to know about this, especially those who will get a chance to vote either for or against him when he's up for re-election (if he makes it that far)

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow. This puts the ID Senate seat in question, and adds to the GOPs Senate woes for next year.

If Craig is going to put his party ahead of his own interests he should resign now and let the GOP governor appoint a new Senator that can then run untainted next year. Otherwise Craig will be a major target.

And of course if Craig steps down that puts crazy Sali in the position to move up from the HoR...

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

It's the way the article was written and the language that was used is what I object to:

The author should have used a different choice of words to write the article . . . and besides that, any kind of sex in a public restroom, whether it be gay sex or straight sex, is just gross in my opinion. :cool:

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You sure? Here it is again (below) in a larger context.

Naw. That's not how Google ads work. Besides, if it were keying to my web surfing habits, there'd be barnyard animals 'n' stuff.

Attached Files:

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Please stay away from the sheep!

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Look, buddy, I saw them first.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, sounds like a self loather to me. Outting others. Wanting to take away their rights, wanting to not allow them to be teachers. Among other things:

He was 42 at the time. :eek: 42! Dude had issues.

He got himself into this pickle.

Then you aren't doing it right.

22. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

It is rather amusing to watch the Republican hard liners trying to weasel their way out of this, trying to "distance themselves" from Craig, or any other members of their party who get caught with their pants down. (bad pun fully intended)

Ahh, the party of "family values". (I'm waiting for that expression to start getting tossed around again. ) Ya just gotta love 'em.

23. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

[​IMG]

The whole problem revolves around society condemning activity between consenting adults. By making this activity "bad", "evil" "wrong", then you force them into the dark shadows, and everything that lurks there.

24. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

the only reason our Godly republican brother was peering into the bathroom was to make sure no one was engaging in homosexual activity. you never know what goes on in stalls these days!

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Considering he was one of the people making it "bad, evil, and wrong", I'd say he has this coming.