The GOP's only hope for the 2012 presidential election?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Nov 9, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

[​IMG]

LINK

2. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

He was named as a possibility as a John McCain running mate, higher on the short list than Palin.

It will certainly be interesting three years from now when the GOP gets into an internal slug match to produce a 2012 candidate. If Obama does not do well, or less than expected, then the Louisiana Governor has some chance.

He may be perceived as being a tad bit on the young side and seen more as a viable VP candidate but by then he will still be but 40 years old.

If he's looking realistically, 2016.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

God I hope not.

This guy is a conservative lunatic and has a false sense of his own "whiteness."

Unlike Obama, he will not have the full support of the Indian community. We are not easily fooled and won't support a backwards-thinking nutcase (at least I won't).

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

If they nominate him in 2012, it's yet another token nomination that means nothing. Look at his positions:

- for teaching intelligent design in school
    - anti-choice
    - against embryonic stem-cell research
    - voted to make patriot act permanent
    - wants to put flag-burning amendment into constitution
    - in favor environmental rape for oil
    - in favor of chemical castration for sex offenders

It's the same policies that the GOP lost with this year, and they're the same policies they will lose with in 2012. If they think they can nominate him and he'll win just because he's not white, it will show they learned absolutely nothing about the Palin nomination.

But hey, let them nominate him in 2012. He'll lose just as miserably as McCain did this year, and the GOP will continue to lose until they realize the country is over their 17th century platform.

EDIT: Just forgot that this is the same guy that openly took part in an exorcism, believing it cured his friend of cancer. Hilarious. Keep on nominating religious nutbags, Republicans.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Someone to the right of McCain will likely fare better in 2012, because we will have had four years of a center/slightly left admin. ..and let's face it things are going to get a lot worse economically over the next couple of years, whether you a Dem supporter or not, its pretty plain to see it.

I like the guy's politics a lot but I am somewhat against choosing someone just because he is another race other than Caucasian. At some level you have to admit that would be a factor in the process.

The pendulum will swing back right. Look at New Zealand, they just chose the National Party after Labor being in Power for nine years.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Keep on thinking that. You ran an extreme-right candidate with an extreme-right anti-intellectual as the VP and you lost miserably. You think an even more right-wing candidate can win it? Corralling the base wasn't your problem this election. Your candidate had the GOP base, and only the GOP base. His ticket drove away the centre-right Republicans and moderates. An even more right-wing candidate would have the same effect.

If the GOP wants to win in 2012 they will need to run a centrist intellectual, but I don't know who that could be considering they all fled the party recently.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

McCain was hardly extreme right, unless you have a Marxist perspective perhaps. :) Oh never mind - nice Avatar :p

8. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I'm sure that smears will prove equally effective in 2012 and every single day till then.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There aren't enough Indian Americans to get this guy elected. :confused:

And even in the places with a large Indian population, such as New York City, it won't matter because NY will still vote Democrat.

In other states, he's not white enough to get Republican support. If it was this guy vs. Obama, there may be a lot of Republicans who don't vote.

I'm not trying to be racist. I'm just saying that race matters for a lot of Americans, even if it doesn't for you. Just look at how people voted in the recent election.

10. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

He wasn't elected governor in 2004 because he wasn't white. I heard people saying they didn't "want to elect that foreigner." But he easily won it the next time after Blanco wisely decided not to run again for office.

I voted for him for governor. I also voted for Obama. And I'm also white. Strange, eh?

He's a smart guy and has climbed the ranks of office amazingly fast. He has some nice credentials and is doing a good job as governor of Louisiana. Whether or not he'll run for president in 2012, I don't know. He seems earnest in wanting to make Louisiana better first. Time will tell.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

A Marxist perspective isn't needed to see McCain for who he is (and the whole Republican party, really). Nobody in the GOP would stand a chance if they were running anywhere else in the world since the electorate would see them as an extreme-right fringe.

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

If you have a Marxist perspective, there is no grade on the scale to sufficiently explain McCain's position. To a Marxist, extreme right is rock hard conservatives like Margaret Thatcher, and she was far left of the Republican party.

McCain isn't hard right in his heart, as anyone who remembers the McCain of 2000 knows, but in this election he sold his soul to the far right, used their talking points, picked a far right VP, employed the same far right campaign managers who killed him in the 2000 election. All these factors contributed to McCain looking almost exactly like the Republican president who was already in office. And we all know how popular *he* is.

Yes, sometimes the pendulum swings. Like when Tony Blair ended an 18-year rule of the Conservative party. Or when Fredrik Reinfeldt in Sweden ended a 12-year rule of the Social Democratic party. Blair is left, Reinfeldt is right, but they both employed the same strategy: They moved to the center. Reinfeldt from right to center-right, Blair from left to center-left. Reinfeldt made peace with the welfare state. Blair made peace with market capitalism. Both attached the prefix "New" to the name of their respective parties.

The only party in the developed world that doesn't understand this strategy, apparently, is the Republican party in the US. They think the problem is that they weren't extreme enough, and they'll try to be even more extreme next time. In other words, they want to employ the strategy that was the losing strategy of Blair's and Reinfeldt's parties before they became party leaders. Well, good luck with that. I'm sure Obama doesn't mind that the GOP is already handing over the 2012 election to him on a silver platter.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Kind of. They don't have a majority large enough to govern so have to enter a coalition. And besides, there are other factors like a long-term prime minister, a lack-luster campaign, a new face in the opposition and the global downturn that will turn out a lot of sitting governments all over the world, regardless of where they stand.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please do run him! Please run another extreme right whack job. The Dems will never lose another election if you do. What is it that you guys don't get? Palin was a huge drag on your ticket because she was too far right!

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

If Grover Norquist supports him, he can't be good for America.

16. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

That's their problem tho. They think they 'have god on their side' so there is no way they can lose.:rolleyes:

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I hope so. He can travel the country exorcising demons and healing people.

18. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I find it hilarious how short people's memories are... :D

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The we're all in agreement. Let's make sure this guy is the Republican nominee in 2012! I'm excited! Can you feel it? :D

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Calm down Lee, only a select few on this board want to feel your excitement...:D

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Even (losing) money.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Bobby_Jindal.htm

Wow! Yeah! We need this guy to run! Total nut job! We need this guy to run. We need a guaranteed 8 year term for Obama! I might register Republican just to vote for him in the primaries.

Are you saying you're one of them? ;)

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Not in this lifetime, but thanks anyway. :p

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well then, let's get back OT. ;)

I think this is an excellent choice for the Dem...Oops, I mean the Republican Party. :)